Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Confrontations - opinions please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 8:50 pm

There has been a couple of issues lately where Reuben has been in difficult situations with other dogs and I do not know if I am handling them correctly.

There was an incident with Ty and I had hold of Reuben's harness and pulled him out of trouble kicking out at Ty to get him away

There was a second incident with three DA dogs and in this situation I picked Reuben up as zi thought three in one would be too much

The third incident was tonight when there was a bit of an altercation with another staffie Reuben was on lead so I swung him away literally like a hand bag out of the way of the other dog

In all three incidents there was no physical contact with any of the dogs due to me stepping in.
I feel it is my duty to protect him from getting into scuffles etc but my friend who owns Ty and Sasha was a little bit critical about how I intercept everything and don't let Reuben sort things out. He has now got me thinking that maybe I am the reason Reuben is nervous and do I make him more so by keep stepping in and dragging him out of harms way?

I would appreciate some honest feedback or thoughts on how you would handle the situation. My friend is pretty laid back about his two which does worry me at times

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 8:56 pm

im a novice on this so not sure if my reply is any use , but i would do the same , i would pull him away , its more because im not stupid and i know if staffies set too then its goin to be near impossible too get them apart so better to be safe than sorry , dunno if i would of picked him up with him been not a handbag sized dog , may of again just tried to pull away

wiley met a dog today who hes met before , female dog she's lovely , only 9 months old but shes also black like the one that attacked him , he wasnt agresive towards her but he did give a little growl , whilst they were sniffing each other , not sure why ? but i pulled him away and said a firm no , i then stood talking to the lady for a while , her dog was sat down good as gold and wiley was stood up pretty much good as gold after been told
Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 708

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 9:00 pm

id be the same Jo. My lot can sort things out themselves but I refuse to take the chance of it escalating and only doing something when its took late. Like you say, we're there protectors.
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2364

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 9:18 pm

I'd do the same, if things got bad then you've not got a chance of stopping it without getting hurt yourself. Its tricky though as like you said do we then make them nervous
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 11:11 pm

I can understand why you're worried but like a good dog owner you don't want him involved in the first place.

It is hard and I think you're probably right you're making him worried but it's probably better than letting them fight in which case he (Or the other dog) could get hurt.

I tend to sort of put my dogs behind me and shout at any dogs that approach

Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 521

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Wed 02 Oct 2013, 11:32 pm

I don't know if it's right or not but I'd be doing the same. Cody has got into 1 fight before (not while with me) and it was extremely hard to stop. 2 very large grown men could not separate them and both ended up bitten by the dogs and both dogs were bitten. I have no idea how I would stop a fight whether Cody was off lead or on it so I will always try and avoid an actual confrontation and if it means removing Cody from the scene then I'll do that.
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Thu 03 Oct 2013, 8:40 am

I would do exactly the same Jo tbh. It's just the way we are. I don't agree with letting them sort it out for themselves because we never what it could escalate to!

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   Thu 03 Oct 2013, 12:00 pm

I think you are right in what you are doing Jo, I always step in before things could get out of hand. Reuben seems confident when you have your Northern Walks so he must be getting it from you spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confrontations - opinions please   

Back to top Go down

Confrontations - opinions please
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1