Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: advice    Sat 05 Oct 2013, 8:59 am

Hi

Was on the park this morning with wiley and a lady and a small child came on they didnt have a dog with them , and wiley kinda gave 3 barks at them ? he also barked at a lady without a dog a few days ago , and also barked at a couple with two dogs on the beach aswell , any idea why he could be doin this , it was almost like he was startled by them , just a tad worried at why hes doin this ? doesnt do it with everyone but both times have been on this park when hes done it when they havent got a dog , and the beach one was odd as he just set off barking , at the entrance to the beach but then as we got further along some more ppl went past with dogs and he was fine
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: advice    Sat 05 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

Sorry don't know but someone else will x
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: advice    Tue 08 Oct 2013, 3:22 pm

A bark like this is usually just a request for space, as in asking the person being barked at to not come any closer. This probably means Wiley is a bit unsure about certain people and needs a bit more help learning how to react if he's uncertain about anything.

Typically in this situation I would ask/lure/distract the dog to come several yards away then turn to face to problem keeping Wiley behind you with a loose lead (don't let him past you). This way you are providing him a calm safe platform from which to observe whatever it is he is unsure of. Once he realises there is no problem he'll turn his attention elsewhere and you can carry on your walk.
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: advice    Tue 08 Oct 2013, 3:33 pm

Thankyou Adam for the advice , i will try that next time it happens , weve been on many walks since and it hasnt happened again , but im sure it probbely will if he's unsure

i did find on the net that certain trainers say to distract them with treats , but im not sure that the right thing to do ? as its not like its constant and i dont want him thinking that if he barks at ppl he can get treats and get into a worse habit

wierd thing is he's not even a barking kinda dog , like he doesnt bark at the post coming through the door , or the doorbell ringing , but if something startles him at home he will start barking
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: advice    

Back to top Go down

advice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1