Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

what are your dogs like on a lead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: what are your dogs like on a lead    Tue 29 Oct 2013, 8:41 pm

Hello

What are your dogs like when on a lead with off lead dog's ? i've had a few incidences now where barking yapping dogs , full on dogs have come over , and wiley hates it , today we got a airdale come over barking at him , he really didnt like it , he kinda gave a growl at it , and that made it back off abit , the owner could not seem to get it to stop , she said he only wants to play , i said he's not keen at been barked at , anyway i said to the lady , wil he stop barking if i let him off , so she said possibly yes he just wants to play , so i took the chance as i could tell the dog wasn't aggressive , and wileys never shown agression only growing if something is in his face , i let him go it barked for about 1 minute which did unnerve wiley , but he was happy to just get off the lead and run about , we focused on playing ball , and the lady did with her dog aswell , and we ended up spending an hour on there with wiley and this airdale chasing each others balls , they got on great spinner smile , well apart from wiley ended up coming home with this dogs balls oops he took a shine to it so she gave it us , but i think she felt guilty cause her dog stole my daughters ear muff and ran off with it   

So just wondered if your dogs can get abit iffy when on the lead but are fine once off ?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:03 pm

Reuben off lead has no interest if he has a ball

On lead it all depends on the other dog. If the other dog is noisy or stares at him and is bigger than him Reuben can be a bit of a buggar and will lunge and bark at them.
He is not interested at all in little dogs and will quite happily look and sniff and walk away. A couple of weeks ago we were in the park when a miniature Yorkshire terrier came towards me and my friend with his two Staffies, his boy is temperamental so I walked ahead to meet the Yorkie and buggar me it went mad and tried to attack Reuben who just stood there shocked. To be honest I was quite shocked too as it was the tiniest Yorkie I had ever seen and was completely unexpected
Reuben is also influenced by other dogs, I find he is more reactive when he is with Buddy and Snoop or with Sasha and Ty whereas when it is just him he tends to be OK

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:10 pm

Staffylover wrote:
Reuben off lead has no interest if he has a ball

On lead it all depends on the other dog. If the other dog is noisy or stares at him and is bigger than him Reuben can be a bit of a buggar and will lunge and bark at them.
He is not interested at all in little dogs and will quite happily look and sniff and walk away.  A couple of weeks ago we were in the park when a miniature Yorkshire terrier came towards me and my friend with his two Staffies, his boy is temperamental so I walked ahead to meet the Yorkie and buggar me it went mad and tried to attack Reuben who just stood there shocked. To be honest I was quite shocked too as it was the tiniest Yorkie I had ever seen and was completely unexpected
Reuben is also influenced by other dogs, I find he is more reactive when he is with Buddy and Snoop or with Sasha and Ty whereas when it is just him he tends to be OK
Arent they funny LOL wiley seems to have no interest in goldon labradors , but other dogs he wants to say hello and will pull me towards them

Im trying to get wiley to take no interest of other dogs when hes got a ball , altho it is helping i still cant trust him , so i put him on a lead once the dog gets closer , but im finding the dogs can get alot closer than what they used to and he will stay, before he was just off at the sight of another dog in the distance

its all a learning curve for me and something different will happen everyday , but was really pleased with him today and how he acted with the airdale

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Tue 29 Oct 2013, 9:20 pm

You have not had him long so I think you are both doing fantastic. With dogs it is always a learning. Curve and so entires you just have to accept that you will never get to the bottom of some behaviours.

I just wish they could speak spinner smile 

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 10:50 am

I think alot of the way wiley is been is because of previous owners training him , if i had got one that wasnt trained it may of been a whole different story LOL probebly would of been on here asking for advice everyday on my out of control dog LOL

i would love to know the history on him , why he has had 3 previous homes in his short 3 years , he must of been trained from a puppy , so why didnt they take him back to the breeder when they wanted rid of him
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:06 pm

Who knows? Thankfully he is in his forever home now.

A lot of people rehome Staffies just under a year old as that is when they become a bit challenging in their behaviours. You only have to look at the number on the for sale pages and it is shocking at home many times young dogs are passed around

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:51 pm

depends on the other dog mandy , alfie will 100% stand his ground , still & pumped up & I know when hes really not keen tbh most of the time if its a male its only come over for a fight so ill be sure to shove it away
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:53 pm

I love Alfie, he is so laid back and such a solid dog. I wish some of it could rub off on Reuben, especially with all the fireworks etc at the moment.

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 8:56 pm

Staffylover wrote:
I love Alfie, he is so laid back and such a solid dog. I wish some of it could rub off on Reuben, especially with all the fireworks etc at the moment.
have you got many goin off at the moment , there's been about 3 big bangs here tonight
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:01 pm

you know what theres not been many going off here scratch scratch scratch 

I feel for Ruebs jo not fair 
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:06 pm

poor reuban :( must be awfull for them when there scared
Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 521

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm

Cody is very submissive to people when he's on the lead and will crawl on his belly to say hello then attacks them with kisses lol Dogs are a different story. He will sometimes stand still and refuse to move until they go past and he does tend to pull towards them but it depends what the other dog is doing. If they are barking and pulling he will get very excited.

Daisy just ignores every human and dog unless they get in her face then she will growl.

Cody did have a bit of a spat with a dog in our block that was off lead while Cody was on his. We walked past and the dog followed and very very interested in Cody and he did turn around and have a go at him. I just have to be careful but Cody is still an entire male so I am careful when he meets other males.

Cody refuses to leave the house if he hears any fireworks no matter how small. I have to drag him out to do a wee at night.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:24 pm

Tonight was horrendous, as it was dark I went in the park and the local refuse was moving the containers so that set him off, then a couple of bangers went off and that completely freaked him out and he was pulling so hard to get away I had to get Ian to hold him

Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 521

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Wed 30 Oct 2013, 9:37 pm

Very like Cody. He wont walk anywhere near big lorries, even parked ones, dustbin trucks, motorbikes and scaffold trucks. We have completely had to change from our normal route over the last few weeks as the whole street and surrounding areas have had scaffolding put up to clean the windows on the blocks of flats.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    Thu 31 Oct 2013, 8:16 am

Awww, Reubs does not enjoy his walks when he hears these and I do wonder if it is worth walking. Given that it is now dark when I get home from work he will have to deal with noise every night as we will be walking around the estate

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are your dogs like on a lead    

Back to top Go down

what are your dogs like on a lead
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1