Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

harness rub

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 10:18 am

Hi

I think wiley may have harness rub ? hes losing his fur under his pits right where the harness sits and has what looks like excema near there , wondering if hes having a reaction to the nylon , well hoping its that and not someting more probmatic , his last owner did say he didnt wear a harness for this reason , and he also didnt wear a collar , only on walks , can you recommend a good harness that wont rub or sit in those area's
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:02 am

Would a leather harness rub the same as a nylon one ? as there more fitted from what i can tell
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

What about fleece? Mine all have fleece ones without any problems x

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:34 am

Have you tried others and had probs and gone onto fleece ones , or have you always had fleece ??

im just doin abit of reseach now , and the baldness most likly will be through the harness , as i have noticed he has been getting thinner there slowly , but the excema thats appeared , im wondering if that is something to do with the medication the vets given him for his tummy upset , just seems odd hes on pills and now hes got like a rash
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:36 am

do you have a link to the fleece one you have ?
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3722

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 1:12 pm

Lol yeah it's the harness Mandy Alfie's the same , the fleece ones are really smart IMO but please don't buy a leather gladiator style harness , nothing worse that a Staffy Chaved up in one of those:lol!: 
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 1:24 pm

Jakethedog wrote:
Lol yeah it's the harness Mandy Alfie's the same , the fleece ones are really smart IMO but please don't buy a leather gladiator style harness , nothing worse that a Staffy Chaved up in one of those:lol!: 
i wouldnt of gone for a brown leather one , i would of got a purple plain one to match his collar which wouldnt of looked as hard , my daughter's jack russel suffers terribly with a nylon harness , and she got him a leather one and it cured it , but he suits a leather one been a small dog and looks really cute and doesnt look chavvy , im taking him for a walk in a minute but will just use his collar , if need be i wont use a harness at all if its goin to bother him , the sore marks arent really in contact with the harness tho i dont think ?? but he's got two like round patches on both legs in the same place and there weeping abit , i just feel more in control with a harness on him should something happen out of my control , but he walks fine without one
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:48 pm

well that collar he's got , is attually very good for leadwalking , i felt more control of that , than any other collar he's had , still prefer a harness tho
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 7:00 pm

I did have a leather one ages ago for Enzo but it was too harsh and he was too small for it. His collar is nice and soft so I'd go for a fleece one.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:28 pm

I use fleece ones and will not use anything else now. If you look up dog games they do a nice fleece harness. Depending on his size he will need a size four or five but if you order the wrong size they will exchange. The company are very nice to deal with
http://dog-games-shop.co.uk/harnesses-fleece-lined

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:34 pm

whats the control like with them jo ? like my harness the lead clip is kinda just at the bottom of the neck which gives me great control when in say a vets when you really need to keep hold of them , and should a dog attack him , or a cat jump out i have very good control , i can litrallyl lift him off his feet with it if needed LOL , that one looks like the clip is further along the back , do you still have the same control ?? cause i only need a harness for those kinda situations
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:38 pm

http://staffiezone.boardonly.com/t18422-reubens-new-collar-and-harness?highlight=Harness

Have a look at my pics in the above thread. I don't have any issues with control and I have always used harnesses like this.

Before the dogs games harnesses I used an ezy dog harness but the chest piece sat too high under his neck as he seemed to be in between sizes

I have a couple of the dog games ones

Last edited by Staffylover on Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:14 pm

It's dog-games ones I use too. If you're worried about control try the perfect-fit one. Indie tends to walk nicer on me of those harnesses and it's a better fit as a 3 is to wee for her in the other harnesses and a 4 is too big. All of my others wear a size 4 normal harness .

I did used to use nylon h style harnesses but they rubbed, then ezydog but didn't like how it sat.

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 1:20 pm

Hi Everyone

I have decided to get a fleece one , hes been on his collar now since i noticed the rub , and the soreness has cleared , so tried his harness again for a couple of days and it started to get sore again , so i have ordered him a fleecy one from here , there specially made to wileys measurments and im having friendly embroidered onto it , if i didnt want the friendly i would of gone for the ones recommended above

http://www.fleecedogharnesses.co.uk/shop/edog-personalised-fleece-dog-harness/
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3722

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

tell you what the wiley dropped well with you yes lol! 
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm

What colour have you ordered Mandy?

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:26 pm

all purple with gold writing , two little dogs here with them on , thats what kinda swung it after i saw them , and the gold should match the metal work on his collar

http://www.fleecedogharnesses.co.uk/shop/edog-personalised-dog-harness-reviews/
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:27 pm

Love the colour

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:30 pm

it was a toss up tbh between all blue or the purple , but seeing as his collars purple thought i would get it to match
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Mon 18 Nov 2013, 10:33 pm

Jakethedog wrote:
tell you what the wiley dropped well with you yes lol! 

I bet he's never been as spoilt LOL , i just hope this cures the rubbing , cause in all honesty i prefer my old harness , i just like the style of it , this one isnt the kind i would of chosen
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Tue 19 Nov 2013, 8:16 pm

Bet it will look great x

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:46 am

Just got to wait two weeks for it to be made claire :( apparently they have a back log of orders , tbh i bet i could just getaway with a collar all the time with him as were handling him very well , but i just feel more confident should a problem arise with a harness , a cat litrally jumped over a wall this morning right into wileys path , and darted across the road , he thought it was dinner time , but i managed to control him just on the collar , but my main worry would be if a dog attacked him , and struggling etc he slipped the collar and ran off
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

I have never walked any of my dogs on a collar, I alwasy feel they are more secure on a harbess, plus I like to leave the collars a little loose which is no good if I come across a situation liek you did with the cat

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:25 pm

Staffylover wrote:
I have never walked any of my dogs on a collar, I alwasy feel they are more secure on a harbess, plus I like to leave the collars a little loose which is no good if I come across a situation liek you did with the cat
Thats exactly how i feel , and yes wileys collar is quite loose , i hate it tight , feel like im strangling him , with it been so thick tho it doesnt tend to bend like alot of collars so holds him well , but would never like to trust it full time
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    Thu 21 Nov 2013, 8:32 am

Well talk about tempting fate after saying on here about slipping collars , hes just sliped his collar , when a dog barked at him , he got scared and jumped, and off came the collar , luckily he led down by me sop i could get it on , but from now on i think i will stick his oldharness on till the new one comes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: harness rub    

Back to top Go down

harness rub
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next