Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Bed wetting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 1:14 pm

Sorry another post about Belle.

This morning as soon as she woke up she pee'd in her bed. I had got up and gone downstairs and left her and Reuben in bed as she was asleep.
In hindsight I should have woken her up and put her out which I will do from now one. She has had the odd tinkle in her bed but I thought it may be due to her coming into season.

However, I spoke to the person who had her previously from the rescue and she claims she always did this so she took her bed off her and put newspaper on the floor banghead 

She then said when she took the bed away she started to chew

I have no intention of taking her bed away and will dig out Chloes old waterproof bed from the loft to help deal with this. However I am not sure how to deal with this moving forward other than putting her out every time she wakes up as though she is a pup. There may be occasions where she is left for a few hours (mainly thursdays and fridays) so she will have to hold during this time.

As she does not pee all over the house it seems more of a behavioural issue but as it is very early days I am not sure. She does hold all night whilst asleep but when we are in the house we are leaving the back door open for her until it gets dark and then I let her out periodically

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 2:48 pm

Dunno if im any help as your far more experienced than me , but i will tell you a couple of things from experience with wiley and my mums dog years ago , and my daughters jack russel

When we first met wiley he peed all over me , omg i thought i can't have this incontinent dog in my house i thought LOL, The guy assured me he was just excited , i watched him on a walk and thought he's worth the risk

i got him home he peed i dont know how many times with excitement , but i blamed alot of it on the fact he was shut in a crate day and night , later on i realised it was nerviousness aswell , both me and my hubby were like have we really done the right thing here getting this dog LOL , now been a total novice , i didnt know what to do , so the first couple of times i showed him what he had done , but not in an agressive way , i just said look wiley , whats wiley done , i could tell he knew what he had done once i had shown him but he couldnt help it :( so i just completly ignored it from then on

everytime he did it we took him outside for a pee , my husband greeted him outside when he came in from work , if anyone came round to meet him we took him outside , he did pee on most occasions in the first week , second week got better and so on

one morning i came down he had pee'd on the sofa , that was unusuall , the only thing different that morning , was my daughter had got up an hour before us and obviously had woke him but not let him out , so im thinking once woken he was bursting and just did it

My daughters jack russel will pee when nervious , now you say this little dog is nervious , and her bed was taken from her when she pee'd , i will bet my life her previous owner has made her 100 times worse by making an issue out of it , so it may just take patience and as you say let her out as soon as you get up

Now my mums dog , she had a collie years ago that would litrally crap and pee its self in its bed but only when it came into season , the vet said it was hormonal and advised her to get her spayed , she had her spayed and that cured it

hopefully once bella feels more secure she will stop

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Back to the Puppy training jo she needs built up in confidence .

A stern scolding then forget about it, she'll soon catch on.

Lulu is taken out first thing in the morning when Keith goes for his first fag of the day, and shes got used to that now.
We're trying to persuade its better to poo and pee on her walks.

Good advise from Mandy.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:11 pm

Is Tinks now called Belle? Did I miss a post?
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 6:29 pm

Jo tort she'd turn tinks into Bella.

Ok Im gone .........Taxi for Burns
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:13 pm

yes Sel, her name is Tinkerbell and her previous owners always called her Tinks and always used her name when reprimanding her. I found her unresponsive to Tinks. She is a lot more responsive when I call her Belle and hopefully she does not associate that name with anything bad in her past

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 7:29 pm

Oh I see! That makes sense now!
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 8:53 pm

I would just do it how you would with a young pup, Set an alarm for half way through the night and get up and let her out, then gradually add an hour on until she lasts through the night.

Did you figuire out if she has been spayed or not? x

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Tue 12 Nov 2013, 9:48 pm

No she is not spayed Claire, she is now in season.

We picked her bed up this morning as she has been in the house all day with our Son and she has been fine and gone in the back garden when she needed to go.

For now I have put a bin liner around the inner cushion of the bed and the cover over the top of it. I will give the getting up early doors a try on Friday and Saturday night when I am not in work as I am up at 5.15am already

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Wed 20 Nov 2013, 9:42 am

hows the peeing situation Jo ? getting any better ?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:07 pm

Yep, hope I am not tempting fate but nothing for a few days now although she had a tinkle on the carpet on saturday when friends came around. I bought a waterproof cover off ebay for her bed upstairs to replace the bin bags as they were too noisy. I cover the waterproof one with the fleecy cover so it is still nice to lie on. I may get covers for the other beds but will wait a couple more weeks and see how she gets on first

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Wed 20 Nov 2013, 1:21 pm

wiley was just like like this , if someone came round he would pee , i would like to say it does get better LOL cause it has with wiley , but i can never say he's fully cured cause he will have the odd accident
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   Wed 20 Nov 2013, 8:18 pm

She's getting there bless her x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bed wetting   

Back to top Go down