Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Behaviourist

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Behaviourist   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 10:05 pm

I have found a behaviourist fairly local who I have been chatting to tonight and hopefully can firm up an appt with her tomorrow to come and meet Reuben and see if she can help us deal with his noise phobias. I need to ring my insurance company to confirm what they cover

She will travel to see us and I am not sure on her availability but it would he good if she could come this week whilst we are off work and we can walk during the day

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Fri 29 Nov 2013, 4:42 pm

No further forward with this due to my vets being totally incompetent. They have rung someone else who has rung me today and said the initial two hour visit is £486!!!!!!

The lady who I found can go me a couple of sessions and keep me within my £250 cover on my insurance policy. However I still need to wait for my vets to do the referral to her and hopefully they will get the correct person this time

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 2:16 pm

£486!? Good grief, giz a job spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3739

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 5:33 pm

I'm in the wrong game £486 for 2hrs , that's a p*ss take IMO
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 6:20 pm

The woman who charges that is also a vet which is why i think it is so dear. Jack went to that surgery for his eye and sadly it is where he died and it was over £100 for just for a consultation.

The lady who I am seeing has been recommended locally. she is a veterinary nurse but has all the required qualifications. I think I will get two sessions with her for the £250.00, i pay the £70 excess and she claims the rest direct from the insurance so in effect if she cannot help it has only cost me £70

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 6:54 pm

Good luck with it Jo , when did this noise thing start with rueban , and what started it ? there's a staffie near me thats gone like this , she's terrified of noise and will just refuse to move , even noises in the distance that i could barly hear she could hear
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

It was at least a couple of years ago now. He was confident wherever we went and I used to take him everywhere. Then one day on the local fields there was a series of bangs, sounded like gun shots and it really scared him and he went to run away. Ever since then he has had issues which seem to get worse in winter. I think the fireworks trigger it off again and then he is out of sorts until the warmer sunnier months.
He is terrified of going out in the dark at night time but in the mornings (5.30am) he is totally relaxed. We have worked through it every year and we had a great summer although I do have to watch him all the time as one noise can cause him to run so I have listen and watch for everything when we are on walks.
I have tried various medications some did work previously but are not as effective this year

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:42 pm

Behaviourist is coming to see us on Thursday at 2 so hopefully get a good couple of hours before it goes dark

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Sun 15 Dec 2013, 9:04 pm

Hope you get some results x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Tue 11 Mar 2014, 8:38 pm

We had an initial meet with the behaviourist but the insurance company have advised that they are not covering this treatment! I cancelled my policy in January at renewal time and went elsewhere. I also cancelled the direct debit so they did not continue to take the money. However as I cancelled they take the policy back to the last payment date which was December and the behaviourist saw Reuben the day after the last payment was made so they are refusing to honour the claim.
I cannot claim off my new insurance company as it was registered at the vets before I took the policy out with them
I am going to dispute this with my original company but I am now stuffed and cannot afford to pay it myself so am back to trying to sort myself

Back to top Go down
tracy.barry
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 293

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Wed 12 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm

Hi Jo, i'v just got a behaviourist in to help with Hope, things just got out of hand.
It was the best thing we ever done. Hope is a diffrent dog now.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Wed 12 Mar 2014, 7:43 pm

Do you mind me asking who it was and how much they charge?

Back to top Go down
tracy.barry
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 293

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:52 pm

Hi jo, it was a lady called julie from barkbusters, she was here for 3hrs plus a years guarantee
so if i phoned her 90 time's she will come out. Best thing with ever did Hope is so much better and now is a joy to live with. Sorry forgot it cost 320.00 i was a bit worry at first of getting ripped off but i'm glad i made the plunged.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:56 pm

Thanks Tracy x

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:30 am

That's a big low jo , tricky sods insurance company's arnt they :(
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:30 am

That's a big low jo , tricky sods insurance company's arnt they :(
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   Mon 08 Sep 2014, 9:49 pm

Reuben is still hit and miss on walks and his reactions to noise. When we went to Morecambe he had to walk everywhere so since coming back I have decided to make him walk to the fields most days now.

It's a bit of a risk as the car is not there if he decides to bolt but he will never deal with noise if he is not faced with it. He seems to be better when it is sunny or snowing, not sure why and I have wondered if he could have SAD? I'm debating whether to make him walk every night or alternate? He is OK once we are on the fields and he has his ball but once it is time to go he starts to pull on the lead to get home

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Behaviourist   

Back to top Go down

Behaviourist
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1