Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

SATS Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: SATS Training   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm

Anyone heard of it? It's to help calm over excited dogs. A woman at the swimming pool advised Glynn to try it but I didn't hear the conversation so am not sure Glynn got the right information?

We are trying to de-sensitise Ruby and Elsdon about swimming as they are just so over the top when they go there.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31849

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 7:08 pm

Nope never heard of it but having googled it there are a couple of trainers that run sessions in Harrogate, Leeds and Otley

Here is their site: http://tailwaggerclub.com/

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 10:34 pm

Thanks Jo, the Tailwaggers Club is right next door to the swimming pool, do you think she was touting for business!

I wasn't impressed by her as she wouldn't stop Elsdon from jumping up at her and looked at me odd when I asked her to simply block her body by putting her knee up at him.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Tue 28 Jan 2014, 7:28 am

Hi I haven't heard of it either besides in human schools. Sounds interesting though xx keep us posted xx
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Tue 28 Jan 2014, 2:58 pm

SATS looks to be along the line of clicker training, bridge rewards. A bridge reward is a reward the dog gets between the command and actually completing the action. It's basically constant audio feedback to encourage a dog to continue doing something you desire it to do. i.e., ask a dog to sit and if it makes any movements towards a sit, it might slightly lower it's back end, then you make your rewarding noise until it actually sits then you give it a big reward, toy, treat, fuss or whatever. It helps the dog know it is doing it right.

Clickers are often used in the same way, a bit like the 'warmer/colder' you play as a kid ('warmer' closer to the target, 'colder' further away from the target), if the dog is doing something right it gets a click, if it is doing something wrong it hears nothing, so keeps trying things until it hears the click again and hopefully realises it's on the right track.  SATS is a more constant version of that.
This lady gives a demo of it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gy3q6_dw3k

It would be of most use to teach a dog to 'do' something, but wouldn't be an easy way 'stop' a certain behaviour, like excitement, and disagree with it.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Wed 29 Jan 2014, 10:53 am

I agree Adam, I don't think it will work with Ruby and Elsdon but we need to find some way of stopping them from becoming so over excited when we get there, on a scale of 1 to 10 excitement they are at least 20!

The trouble is the hydrotherapy pool is half an hour away from us near Harrogate and to go there just to turn round and come back home for a few times will be very expensive petrol wise.

Any advice you can offer would be very welcome.
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Wed 29 Jan 2014, 11:06 am

you could try what I suggest with vet trips, drive there half an hours early then go on a nice calm walk around the area there doing some positive treat reward sit/paw/wait/catch etc stuff en route. So when you get back for the start of the swim session, the dogs will hopefully be less excited and more relaxed.
Also, it breaks up the association of getting out of the car excited and building up so they hit the pool mental! Instead it becomes, get out of the car excited, go for a calm down walk, then hit the pool calmer. You can enhance this by driving to the hydro centre, taking them for their daily walk, then going home, so the drive doesn't definitely mean a swim session. A bit of a pain but if you were planning a big walk with them it might be worth making it a smaller walk with a bit of a drive either end of it.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 9:04 pm

I'll give that a go and let you know how we get on. We tried just taking them to the training/exercise paddock next door but they just escaped under the gate and barged their way in to the hydrotherapy building and into the pool too last time! We were very embarrassed ............
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31849

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Thu 30 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm

Oops  lol! 

Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 7:44 am

lol, oh no!
I think it might be an idea to try a different kind of walk. When I want to calm a dog down, it's not about running offlead, playing with balls or other dogs, it's about staying onlead, no excitement, just calm loose lead walking where the dog gets to sniff, explore, meet people, dogs (any other animals you come across) and maybe do some simple obedience stuff. This basically keeps the dog calm, and you never get trouble from a calm dog. You only get problems from dogs who get emotional (excited/fearful/aggressive etc and the adrenalin/testosterone associated), so the idea of this type of walk allows your dog to exercise without emotion. If you did this for 30 minutes or so before the swim session you could arrive back at the centre with calm pooches.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   Fri 31 Jan 2014, 12:16 pm

Hmmmm, you obviously haven't met Ruby and Elsdon but I will give it a try next time we go swimming. Speak to Linda about how excited Elsdon gets when we go up to see her spinner smile 

I've been discussing it with Glynn and I think Ruby is the culprit who starts the excitement off so I plan to get out of the car and walk down the farm track to the Hydrotherapy Building with her, leaving Glynn and Elsdon to drive down there in the car and see how we get on. Last time we went I managed to calm her down quite a bit before we got into the building only for her excitement level to peak again once we were in.

This is going to be my project for the year - trying to get them in to the building as calm as I can  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SATS Training   

Back to top Go down

SATS Training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1