Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

wileys getting abit full on

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:14 am

Hi

Ive noticed just latly wiley is getting very full on with other dogs , he did today with my mates staffy and he got growled at , hes like trying to bite and get his paws around other dogs necks , i can see hes only wanting to play but i can also tell alot of other dogs dont like it , i told him off about 4 times today for it , he stops and looks at me sheepish but then as soon as he goes off playing again he starts doin it again , any ideas how to stop him doin this ?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31831

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:52 pm

Is it only Casper he does it with or any dog he meets regardless of whether he know it?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:55 pm

Adam K999 will be able to help.
Does Wiley know the 'ah ah' command. That's what I use as a quick command
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:58 pm

he doesnt do it will all dogs but will do it with quite alot , like i saw my neighbour on there a few weeks ago with his border collie the border collie isnt that dog freindly but hes not d/a either , he like gave a snarl and wiley ran away doin his own thing and never bothered that dog at all , but other dogs he will go and annoy and i have to intervene or if im not stopping to talk i jhust call him away and we walk the opposite way , he's a menace for a labradoodle but thats as badand will do the same thing they get on very well toigether but he had arthritus so not allowed to play so i put wiley on a lead when im talking to her
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 1:59 pm

StaffySel wrote:
Adam K999 will be able to help.
Does Wiley know the 'ah ah' command. That's what I use as a quick command

he does yes and will stop in his tracks at either that or a stirn no but then he will just go back to doin it once hes back playing
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 4:27 pm

I would work on getting his focus on you rather than other dogs , I know none of mine would be amused to be approached by another dog that was full on with them.

Maybe have a favourite toy and when he starts getting too full on, call him back to you and have a game - so you don't let it escalate.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 5:02 pm

Thats a good idea Claire

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 5:29 pm

i will have to get another ball thrower i stood on wileys last wek and broke it LOL , i have known him chase after other balls when they have been thrown by another dogs owners when i have been walking with them, there dogs were ok about that and have ran along side him to get the ball and whoever got the ball brought it back , he had brought the ball back and then chased after the ball again and kinda not been as focused on the dogs so will try that , he's only allowed up to dogs that we know when off lead , he's always on a lead if i dont know them , and when he's on a lead he greets dogs quite well , its just if they show any interraction at all thats when he gets abit full on , and they seem to get tired of him before he gets tired of them , altho i have known it vice versa , a spanial was once very full on with him and he hated it and came round my legs looking at me with those eyes LOL
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23353

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

You could always try a long line which gives you more control to stop play with one new command. I would also be inclined to stop play before it happens using the same command to condition him to you been in control of play :) xx
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

suziet wrote:
You could always try a long line which gives you more control to stop play with one new command. I would also be inclined to stop play before it happens using the same command to condition him to you been in control of play :) xx

he will stop when told to, and if im just passing someone on a park he will say hello have a play for 2 seconds then i say come on were goin this way and he comes happy enough if he gets too much when im either walking with someone or stood talking i just put him on the lead anyway and its no play at all , for some reason i feel i have more control without the long leash as other dogs tend to tease him when hes on a long leash there's been a few incidences where they have been told off for teasing even ones we dont know that have come over , he goes on a short leash if hes too much and we just walk round with the other dogs and there owners. but i would just like him to play abit softer and not as hard , hes like a bull in a china shop racing along and mouthing and then trying to stand on his back legs and play with the other dog , he plays with a retriver puppy ive not see her for a bit but the puppy was 6 months at time but massivly big compared to wiley , and those two were brill together her dog was happy to play all day if we let them but hes still very floppy and puppy like and it never tired from him , but my worry with that one was he was goin to hurt him so i stopped him and put him on the lead
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

if casper comes out again i will try and video them so ppl can give a better judgement of the situations and how i should appraoch it , as its hard trying to explain what he does in writing LOL
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 6:52 pm

Staffies are like bulls in a china shop, Reuben plays really hard, as does Belle. She loves play fighting with dogs twice her size and loves the attention she gets from them.
At training there is a beagle, retriever and mulitple small dogs but in the play session she only wants the retriever and beagle

The video sounds like a good idea

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 7:25 pm

Staffylover wrote:
Staffies are like bulls in a china shop, Reuben plays really hard, as does Belle. She loves play fighting with dogs twice her size and loves the attention she gets from them.
At training there is a beagle, retriever and mulitple small dogs but in the play session she only wants the retriever and beagle

that makes me feel a tad better that its not just him thats rough , tbh untill today it didnt really concern me as i just put him on the lead and get on with it , but because he was too full on for even a staffie thats what has made me write the post and maybe he does need a bit more training ?

wiley is the opposite there i have noticed he goes for smaller dogs if he can , yes he does play with big dogs and i prefer that tbh , he plays with a doberman thats got longer legs than me lol but if the doberman or rotty was there and a little spanial he would go for the spanial and ignore the bigger dogs , i find him abit of a bully with smaller dogs tbh not nast just he overpowers them with his strenth , thats why i access the situation and hes not allowed off lead with anything tiny , a westie size is the smallest i will allow at the moment
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Sun 23 Feb 2014, 7:49 pm

Sounds like him and belle would have a great time   

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Thu 27 Feb 2014, 10:26 am

i tested wiley today we met the labradoodle again , he goes up says hello and is abit full on jumping about and wanting to play chase , he then goes and gets treats off labradoodles owner he does this everytime we see her anyway he was been quite good and wasnt overly been full on with ollie , i have never walked with her before just stood in the middle of the park talkin then gone are own way , well today i walked with her i said to her if he misbehaves i will put him on his lead , as her dog has arthritus , anyway ollie was really placid just tootling along doin his own thing , so wiley did the same we walked round the park with both dogs loose and wiley just sniffing about and didnt come onto ollie for playtime at all ? so im wondering is it the vibes he gets from the other dog that makes him silly , if say the other dog shows it wants to be silly and run round like a looony wiley wants to do the same and gets abit too much ? but if the dog is carm and placid wiley will do the same
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Thu 27 Feb 2014, 12:28 pm

Sounds like the other dogs behaviour reflects in Wiley. I do think dogs judge thinks based on the others mood etc, Reuben always knew not to be too heavy handed with Chloe but with Buddy who is full on they play hard

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    Thu 27 Feb 2014, 3:08 pm

yea i think he gets vibes that its ok to play , another dog that springs to mind is a collie cross that he plays with , and he is abit much but toby legs it and kinda encourages him then he will tell wiley off when hes had enough , but the ones that seem to just potter about he doesnt seem as full on , like the collie that growled from next door he leaves him well alone , he leaves my mums dog alone on walks aswell , he can be abit annoying in the house with her but hes good once settled , i think he gets over excited when goin to someone elses house . anything that runs and runs fast he will be abit of a pain , having said that tho he annoys another dog which is attually very placid but shes a bitch and hes quite taken to her so likes to keep sniffing her
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wileys getting abit full on    

Back to top Go down

wileys getting abit full on
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1