Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

teenage stage ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: teenage stage ???   Mon 08 Feb 2010, 6:25 pm

Helpppppppp !!!

Buffys just turned 16months and what a night mare she has become in just two days , from a lovely well behaved pup into a right little mare she is stealing we dare not put anything down as she jumps up and takes it if i tell her off she jumps at me if jas tells hers off she just lies down till he isnt looking then sneaks off ,
all the hard work of the last 14 months seems to have gone out of the window if i go out the room she jumps on the sofa and she knows she isnt allowed as soon as i come in she looks at me as if to say dont shout mum ,
nothings changed with her diet or excercise all still the same .
I just want to know is this the teenage stage ive been dreading and how long does it last lol
we feel like we done nothing but keep on at her for two days and we are grey :(
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Mon 08 Feb 2010, 7:22 pm

Well they can stay in teenage stage right from 6 months up until 2 years old, when they officially become adults.

So she is obviously at a testing time seeing what she can and can not get away with as you are obviously aware at the moment.

Just keep up with what you are doing she will grow out of it in ummmm 8 months dancing It probably wont last that long she is just pushing the boundaries right now you just have to put her back in place.

Good luck hun and remember I have two going through it as we speak ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Mon 08 Feb 2010, 7:46 pm

She is testing boundaries, but to me something has happened, something has shifted and something has changed. Don't mean to make you suck eggs, but you need to sit and think what has changed to make her want to change behaviour so much, she is now obviously unsure of who is boss right at this moment and thinks she can get away with stuff.

If she gets on the furniture and you don't allow that in your house, get her down. Don't speak, just remove her, she gets up again, remove her and keep doing this until she realises this is not acceptable, preferably with collar on so you can take the collar to lead her down.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Mon 08 Feb 2010, 8:36 pm

jas is boss and she knows it she isnt testing him as much as me i cant think of anything thats really changed that will effect her although the house is a lot calmer than normal no shouting ect but would this effect buffy ?
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Tue 09 Feb 2010, 9:53 am

Go right back to basics and start again, she has always been such a good little girl that training has probably slipped. She will make progress quicker because she does know what is needed.

Be very consistant with your training, again this has probably slipped, you wouldn't be normal if it hadn't. ROFL

You can't teach a dog not to do something, ie keep off the furniture, if you are not there so keep her out of the room if you can't work with her.

Never get hold of a dog's collar to get them off anything, to a dog this is an aggressive act, we grab the collar at the back of the neck where the dog is vunerable. Much safer to teach her to get off on command, you can have a short lead on her for this, when she is on the furniture use the lead to get her off giving her the command, then reward her when she is off.

You need to replace an unwanted behaviour with a wanted one, like getting off the furniture on command instead of just getting her off. If you see her going to get onto the furniture, distract her.

Back to basics and you will have your darling little girl back again soon.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Wed 10 Feb 2010, 11:10 am

for two days now ive ignored all the bad behaviour , if she has chewed something thats not hers ive removed it and given her toy to chew
if she has got on me chair ive pointed and she has come off , ive not left her in the room alone if jas hasnt been in there when ive been busy ive put her in his room with him and she has lay quietley .
so far she seems to be coming back to my good girl lol .
i think with all the ill health in my house at the moment training hasn't been so hot on ive been so busy running round after kids that buffys sort of taken a back burner and ive expected to much of her when all the time she just needed a little attention which we have been very short on with her .
plus for a week she has had no james as he has been away with school and no beth as she was poorley in hospital these are things that i didnt think would bother buffy until sandi mentioned changes at home now we are all back home she does seem to have settled a little bit .

thank you everyone for advice ive taken bits and done things to suit us and our lifestyle fingers crossed we are coming good again as i said i now know its not buffys fault its mine and her dads so its us that have to remind ourselves that buffy is like a small child and we do have to keep encouraging that good behaviour and not just think well she is trained what an angel we can sit back when we want to as we know she will be good because she wont if she hasnt got encouragement and our attention just like boo and jayliegh really lol
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:45 pm

cookie is a thief she nicks everything thats not nailed down if not watched constantly ,think its just a stage they go thro as her cage is full of everything from toys to underwear!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   Mon 17 May 2010, 9:00 pm

shelleyb wrote:
cookie is a thief she nicks everything thats not nailed down if not watched constantly ,think its just a stage they go thro as her cage is full of everything from toys to underwear!

Buffys coming up to 22months still going through that stage lolololol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: teenage stage ???   

Back to top Go down

teenage stage ???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1