Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Fetch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Fetch   Tue 18 Mar 2014, 8:44 pm

Reuben loves nothing more than chasing his tennis ball on the fields nand we always do this before we go for a walk. He does see a little better with noise etc once he is playing with his ball.

Belle has no idea on fetch and I have decided against trying to get her interested in it as I am sure she will try and take it from Reuben and I don't want any altercations with him. At the moment she runs after him but can't keep up and as soon as he picks the ball up I shout her back and give her a treat on return. This is improving her recall and is allowing Reuben to bring his ball back without being bothered by her.

However in the last few days when Reuben is running around waiting for me to throw the ball Belle has started to nip Reuben. She bites his harness or takes nips out of his side. I tell her off and she stops until he comes back again. Tonight as Reuben set off for the ball she tried to bite his back leg and he growled at her at the same time I shouted stop. She stopped immediately and cowered down but I am not sure if this is because I shouted or Reuben growled at her

I'm not sure how to stop this. I would prefer not to put her on the lead but will do as a last resort

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Fetch   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:11 pm

Elsdon is very often in Ruby's face when I am doing fetch with her so I make him wait until she is back and then throw for him, I have to be very clear about what we are doing as in Elsdon wait! Ruby fetch!

If you could teach her to wait then it could improve things for Reuben? If needs be I put him back on the lead until Ruby has done her fetch x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Fetch   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:29 pm

Thanks Jan, I have taken to distracting her with a treat as she has not grasped wait yet

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Fetch   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:59 pm

I totally understand n know how this feels too.

I did exactly what you did n used a firm stop command, after a few attempts Rocco learnt not yo harass Diesel when he would chase balls etc. I did have to place on lead a couple of times and Rocco soon learnt not to do it anymore xx
Think it's excitement and possibly trying to take over the game but like you I don't want issues between them so had to be very firm in my command, when Rocco listened he got lots of praise
Continue as you are and see how it goes xx
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Fetch   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 7:49 pm

I've always said their name and occasionally grabbed collars until they get the idea when I use the ball chucca thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fetch   

Back to top Go down

Fetch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1