Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

omg how scary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: omg how scary    Sun 23 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

I have just had the scare of my life

my youngest daughter went to a party yesterday and came home with  a party bag like they do , and it had two little balls in , like bouncy balls but smaller , i told her to keep them away from wiley , so she put them on top of her snooker table not a place i would of put them , i didnt know they was there , wiley jumped up and stole one , we couldnt get him to drop it and i was panicking , my husband got him a treat and he eventually dropped it , im sat here in tears thinking what could of happened if he had swallowed it , needless to say daughter has had a bolloking and balls are now in the bin , thats her second bollocking this week as a couple of days ago she went out playing and went out the back way , normally goes out the front door , and she left the driveway gate swinging open that keeps wiley in , if he had been out in the garden he would of gone
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Sun 23 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Lucky you saw him take it as that would have been a problem had he swallowed it. Thankfully all is well.

I can imagine why you were panicking, our dogs don't half put us through it don't they

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Sun 23 Mar 2014, 4:14 pm

Staffylover wrote:
Lucky you saw him take it as that would have been a problem had he swallowed it. Thankfully all is well.

I can imagine why you were panicking, our dogs don't half put us through it don't they

I still cant beleive he took it , it was my daughter that saw him take it , my husband was up there fixing her pc he hadnt noticed the balls were there untill wiley jumped on the table to get it , he then ran downstairs with it in his mouth , and wouldnt drop it it didnt look like he had anything there tho cause it was so small , i just screemed go and get him a treat and he dropped it for a treat thank god , were goin to have to be very vigilant with anything round , as he stole a ball last week out of her room but it was a big beach ball and he popped it , anything else he doesnt seem to bother with , just balls , and his own toys of course , but when he gets a ball he wont drop , he will drop on parks , but if he carries one back from the park i always have to prize it off him when we get home , he needs work on dropping balls on command

i honestly crapped myself , i know what you was goin through yesterday must been terrible
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Sun 23 Mar 2014, 5:23 pm

Thank goodness he is ok, kids and dogs sure know how to scare us!  group hug 
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:05 am

janandruby44 wrote:
Thank goodness he is ok, kids and dogs sure know how to scare us!  group hug 

I know it was so scary cause it didnt look like he had anything in his mouth , and he was been so stubborn

Could really do with some advice if anyone can help , hes done it again this morning when i came in from the park with his ball , he wouldnt drop , i got some treat's made him sit and then said drop , he just got back up again and walked off with the ball and kept doin that , i had to prize it from him , its no bother doin that , but in a situation like the above i would like to think i could have him dropping on command , any ideas how i would approach doin this ? it does only seem to be in the house and garden he does this , on parks he drops it not too bad but he knows im goin to be throwing it again

he also picked up a chocolate button on the pavement once and my husband got him to drop that straightaway which i thought was good , so he knows the drop command , its just hes been stubborn when it comes to balls
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:03 pm

Would he drop the ball for a very high value treat? A bit of chicken or cheese spread in a tube, seems to work wonders at class. Maybe you could just use this on walks when you want hi to drop something but for all other commands use what you currently do?

I have dried meat pieces at training with Belle and I usually end up handing half of them out for people to use to get their dogs to focus as they are not interested in their general treats

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:11 pm

Hi Jo

i will try him tommorow with cheese when we get back from a walk if hes got his ball and wont let go, as he likes cheese
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:49 pm

We were taught that to get them to leave something don't try to pull it out of their mouth, just tug the back of their collar, with your hand just touching the ball etc and say leave! firmly. It does take a little while to train this but we get Ruby and Elsdon to leave on command, which is very helpful when you have a scavenger like Elsdon, it also works when I don't want them to go up to another dog. We also hold a treat in the palm of our hand and say leave and wait 20 seconds, then praise and them have the treat. Hope this helps x
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 7:56 pm

I taught Enzo the leave command like Jan has said above. I put a treat in my open palm, when he goes to get it close your hand so he can't get it, say leave so he moves away and then open your hand again, when he doesn't go to get it you can give it to him.

I can do a little video if you want?
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Mon 24 Mar 2014, 9:02 pm

ive done that training he will leave to a degree , ive done the putting a treat on my knee and telling him to leave and he's quite good , at the moment im traning him to wait before he jumps into the car but when it comes to balls that are already in his mouth hes a sod and you can tell by his eyes his been defiant if you know what i mean LOL

i will try what you say Jan just touching the ball rather than tugging , but the ball he scared me with you couldnt even tell he had it , so thats why i need the drop command with a ball should that ever happen again , it shouldnt do as i have tossed the balls but you never know with kids
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Tue 25 Mar 2014, 11:46 am

Good luck with it  spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    Sat 05 Apr 2014, 6:44 pm

He wont trade his ball for cheese or anything LOL but i meet another dog walker most mornings and his dog is perfect so well behaved and hes been teaching me how to get the ball from him and ive just started and it does seem to be working , and he has just traded his ball for a normal doggie marrowbone treat  spinner smile 

My other problem at the moment is hes been really naughty when playing with dogs on the park , hes playing fine with them but wont dam well come back LOL untill he's ready kinda thing , i had him loose this morning and he was playing with another staffie then i said come on were goin normally he will come , but there was another dog that made eye contact with him and came runnin over he just ran off with it with me screeming at him to come back , bloody thing he is LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: omg how scary    

Back to top Go down

omg how scary
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1