Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Help!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 1:39 pm

My two boys are crated when I go out...Poppy lays on the sofa...

I'm home with them mostly during the week so it tends to be Fridays/Saturdays that they tend to be crated whilst I pop out to do the grocery shopping...they are never left long, normally 1-2 hours tops...yesterday they were left longer has it was my daughters birthday this last week so we went shopping in the morning and then went ice skating in the afternoon
Buddy has had a blanket to lay on in his crate but he has literally destroyed it over the last few weeks by chewing it to shreds literally...I'm assuming he's done this because he's been bored...Buddy was rescued and has always suffered with what I believe was separation anxiety, used to go out to the car and could hear him howling from out there, this has now stopped but he's now become destructive in his crate...I am thinking of leaving him a toy in his crate that he can chew on perhaps opposed to destroying his bedding but obviously I'd like to make sure whatever I leave him with will be safe for him...I thought of maybe a doggy rope but what if he chews it and swallows it??? I've also thought of Kong toys perhaps???

I brought him a new dog bed cushion for the crate yesterday whilst we were out but obviously I'd prefer he did'nt chew it to bits too

Does anyone have any ideas pretty please  ta xxx

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31831

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 2:58 pm

Hi, I would avoid leaving rope toys. What about a kong stuffed with food and then frozen? we have some recipes on here. I would take it out of the freezer about an hour before you go out.

Is the crate covered? I used to cover the sides and back of mine and just leave the front open so it as like a little den! black or brown throws work perfectly

The other alternative is a large antler bar, my two love theirs

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 2:59 pm

Also, you could leave him one of your old tee shirts in with his bed so he can still smell you?

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 4:04 pm

Buddy is very much my daughter's dog so maybe putting an old item of clothing in his crate so that he can still smell her sounds a great idea Jo, thank you

Why is it simple ideas we don't tend to think about until someone mentions it?

When my daughter goes to school hes always listening out for her to come back home...usually sits behind the lounge door from around 3pm waiting for the front door to open...he also sleeps with her and very protective of her...he's definitely Becca's dog

The kongs I see in the local shops tend to be on the small/medium size...always worry about the dog biting a bit off or getting it stuck...can all kongs be stuffed and do you need special kong stuff to fill it with or can you do your own thing? I will check out the recipes if theres some on here Jo

Thanks Jo xxx

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:41 pm

The kong stuff is very expensive, I used to make my own. I had the black giant kong

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 5:42 pm

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 6:18 pm

Good advice from Jo, can't add anything except for the bigger the kong the more you need to fill it. I get those already filled smaller bones, take the filling out and put my own in. It takes less than a kong and cheese fits it nicely  spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23353

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 7:05 pm

I think it's just something different hence why he torn up the blanket, as Jo says leave a t shirt to provide familiarity and comfort maybe put a radio on too.

I would also avoid toys in case he eats, with longs please ensure you buy an extreme one ad he may try to eat too.
Very important... kongs must have a small hole at the top to prevent their tongue becoming stuck, sadly this did happen to a pooch whilst the owner was out :(
Good luck.
Back to top Go down
getcarter
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2019

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 7:47 pm

Hope he settles next time.
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:11 pm

Thank you for the link to the kong recipes Jo...I've had a quick browse and they look tasty...I will have a proper look tomorrow...been in pain all day...feels like the Sciatica is playing up so gonna have an early night

Thank you all for your advice...I will have to go out of town to a bigger pet store (Jollyes probably be my best bet locally) and get him a large hard kong I think but meanwhile I will get my daughter to sort out an old item of clothing that he can have as a comforter in his crate

Thank you all  Loads of Love xxx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Sun 06 Apr 2014, 9:14 pm

Hope it works out Wendy and hope you feel better soon xx

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   Tue 08 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm

Hope you get some relief from your pain x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!!!   

Back to top Go down

Help!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: