Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

kids stroking dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: kids stroking dogs    Thu 17 Apr 2014, 9:05 pm

Hi

What do all do if some strange kid asks if they can stroke your dog ? i have had this 3 times now and i dont like it , its nice that parents arent stereo typing that i have a dangerious dog , but at the same time i dont like it , i dont like to say no incase they think hes vicious , but i dont like strange kids stroking him i would rather prevent anything even tho i dont think he would bite you just never no , i think from now on im just goin to say no hes not used to children . altho he wags his tail like mad when he see's children
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Thu 17 Apr 2014, 9:16 pm

If they ask I let them as I like children interacting with the dogs and my two are very calm outdoors with people and children
I often allow them to give the dogs a treat too and it is amazing how excited kids get being allowed to give a treat, it's usually with hand held flat and the treat laid on it. Obviously it is supervised and I tend to get down to the child's level to ensure all is Ok

If we walk past kids in the park and they start pointing and telling their parents doggie I will offer to allow the child to stroke them

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Thu 17 Apr 2014, 9:33 pm

Ive never liked it and its always worried me, could be cause ive not had him long enough to trust him fully ? but what made me write the post was reading this, the owners had said it was ok , i cant see them of saying it was ok unless they trusted there dog , yet the dog bit the little girl

http://m.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11139627.Young_girl__lucky_not_to_lose_her_eye__in_dog_attack/
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Thu 17 Apr 2014, 11:04 pm

I don't mind it to be honest mandy , infact im more than happy to stop , im with jo , if I see a nipper pointing at alfie ill always stop & welcome them over , he love interaction with children so think it does both parties some good
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Sat 19 Apr 2014, 6:08 pm

hmm maybe im bit over protective on both sides ? as i have been the same with my own kids aswell , never were they allowed to stroke dogs , i used to worry when i left them at my mums when i used to go to car shows without them cause i wasnt there and knew my mums dog was around them , im attually quite nervy of other breeds myself especially large dogs , but i am getting better since ive had wiley as i meet so many types of dogs now , i was attually bitten by a german sheppard when i was 14 , no warning no nothing it just attacked and grabbed my arm but it was known to be unpredictable one minute it was fine the next bite your hand off , now we have our own dog i struggle to keep both girls away from staffies LOL i really have to screem at them now, that you dont just go up and stroke them as the cards have turned and they now think every staffie is like wiley really freindly when some are not
Back to top Go down
K999
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Mon 21 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

I started teaching Mizz to be calm if approached by kids from the day I adopted her, so even if the kid (or it's parent) has no idea how to interact with a dog I know that Mizz can cope with bad manners from people and stay calm.
I also offer to let any young'un who shows an interest in Mizz to come over and say hello, but in doing so I'll teach them how they should approach and interact with a dog.

by the way, somebody showed me this video for kids about dogs which might be useful if any of you are involved with children, especially education....
I Speak Doggie
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Mon 21 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm

Thanks for that vid , thats really good ,
Back to top Go down
Rockyx

Male
Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Sun 04 May 2014, 10:04 pm

Hi all,all the kids know my dog from being a puppie so every time we go out the door all the kids were we live what to stroke him so ive got on choice really put to let them and to be fair the dog loves all the attention so everybodys happy.LOL
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Sun 04 May 2014, 11:06 pm

I don't mind letting the kids touch the dogs if they ask , i think it's good for them x

Back to top Go down
rockromantic
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 708

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    Fri 09 May 2014, 8:00 pm

i don't mind unless it's sammy with me, he's terrified of kids so i'd rather avoid putting him in uncomfortable situations.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kids stroking dogs    

Back to top Go down

kids stroking dogs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1