Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Stopped pulling on the lead

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Stopped pulling on the lead   Fri 30 May 2014, 8:47 pm

So tonight I'd had enough of Enzo pulling on the lead when walking past other dogs and meeting people so I set off on a walk armed with a bottle of water with a hole in the lid.

I squirted it on the floor, not on him, to show him what it is and started walking, as soon as he slightly pulled I said ah ah and he stopped. He has a habit of getting over excited as soon as I say "hello" whether I'm on the phone or saying hello to someone in the street, so as silly as it sounds I said hello whilst walking along and he looked around straight away all alerted so again I said ah ah.

He was completely different just because I had the water bottle and not once did I need to squirt it, just it being in my hand was enough.

I then was searching for dogs to walk past so I waited outside a shop. Two people came out the shop and said hello doggy, he pulled on the lead and I said loudly ah ah and he led down on the floor instantly. I explained I was training him.

We then walked back home and on the way walked past a dog. Not even a flinch from Enzo and he would usually pull to get over to the dog.

Then a girl walked past with two dogs who usually go biserk at Enzo and they didn't make a sound. They could obviously pick up on Enzo being under a bit more control.

I'm so pleased with him. I know he can do it, it's my fault for letting him get away with it for too long.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31916

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Fri 30 May 2014, 8:56 pm

That's very positive and good you did not have to use it. I'm not normally one for using water bottles but I have had to start doing it with my parrot when he shrieks top pitch, he does it when we are eating as hubby kept giving him a tit bit and then he started to demand it very time we sat down to eat ( and believe me parrots are loud)

I only need to shake the bottle now and he stops

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Fri 30 May 2014, 9:04 pm

Yeah, I know some people don't agree with it and I'm not a massive fan myself but it works. The idea is that I won't need to even take it with me, just ah ah will be enough.

Water is harmless at the end of the day compared to yanking his collar with the lead all the time, shouting or even shock collars etc.

Enzo did look slightly scared so I was constantly praising him, I looked like a looney walking down the street talking to him! I even stopped at one point, put the bottle on the floor to let him sniff it to show him it's ok. I need to take treats next time.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31916

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Fri 30 May 2014, 9:17 pm

Yeah treats will help, I'm sure he will master it in no time

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23445

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Sat 31 May 2014, 8:18 am

Blooming heck well done that's awesome

Rocco is a bugger for that but I can't try the water thing as I have no hands spare xx
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Sat 31 May 2014, 5:01 pm

Well done looks like it did the trick , my mates sister who has a border collie he used to chase passing car's , and the vets recommened she put stones in a bottle and shake it everytime he went to chase the cars , worked a treat and he never did it again he's now about 9 years old and has never done it since been a puppy
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Sat 31 May 2014, 8:31 pm

Yeah I think little tricks like this work and they're not harmful as long as you don't use it at the wrong times and you don't over do it by scaring/scolding them
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   Sun 01 Jun 2014, 9:48 am

Well done Sel and Enzo  spinner smile 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stopped pulling on the lead   

Back to top Go down