Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

how much more can 1 owner take!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:12 pm

today i had to go to my mams to meet my new nephew, so as normal i let tyne out for his buisness then caged him. i was gone for 2 n a half hours maximum, came in to find he done a houdini out of the cage and chewed through my sittinroom door!!! my patience with this troublesome dog is wareing very thin. any ideas??? we've left him longer b4 and had no problems. and ive never had any trouble with the others when i leave them and between his aggresion n destructfulness im begining to get to the end of my tether scratch
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:18 pm

oh blinkin ek hun
i have to say buffy could get out of her first crate luckily she did it one night though while we were in so no damage was done jas made a little thing that used to hook at the bottom of the door so she yes she could open it but the door would be jammed closed .
you are doing so well with him hun i wish i could suggest something to help you , i am sure though that someone on here will have been through the same and be able help you xxx
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:24 pm

honestly jo il be honest with u i was so upset i even rang the vet to see how much it would be to put him to sleep i talked my hubby out of it for the time bein but hes just causing us nothing but heartache with his behaviour and now his destroyin of my house! my hubby had to change the sittin room door with the kitchen 1 just so it looked ok when people come in until i can get a new 1. hes 19month now surely he should be out of it by now. ive let him out of cage for feeds n to go outside but apartfrom that ive given him the silent treatment (rightly or wrongly but the way im feeling hes lucky tostill be here) and he is feelin sorry for himself.....even demi has ignored him 2 which is unusual
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:25 pm

he has gone into the cage himself tho without instruction
Back to top Go down
Allison
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2312

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:28 pm

Hi Kirstie

Just wondering and trying to think of anything really that would make him behave the way he is, is he in pain maybe its worth taking him just for a health check, could it be the food you are feeding him some dogs do behave differently to what is in there food like kids and smarties I guess, have you thought about contacting a behaviourist/trainer for advice and to why he maybe behaving like this also another thought is is there any female dogs in the area that he may have gotten wind of or maybe he was spooked by something which made him escape from his crate.

Just a few thoughts which you may have already considered and addressed hunni and I know you must be frustrated and not sure what to do but i think if i was in your shoes i would be contacting a behaviourist and one that is fully qualified this website will give you a list of behaviourists in your area

http://www.apdt.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 9:51 pm

hi hun, ive got him booked into a class but with the bad weather we had they are running a week behind and with me bein unwell for the 1st set i changed it now he starts on the 5th march. i havent changed his food and hes been checked by the vet a cuple weeks ago and he was fine and he has had no trauma or anything to cause pain, hes still his normal trying self which is a sign hes fine. i just dont know how much more emotionally or physically i can take, ive put so much into him and i just dont seem to be getting anywhere yes ive seen improvements in some areas but ive never had a dog chew a door to basically nothing theres a hole right through theres just the covering board stoping the hole from showing from the other side. my hubby has been fed up with him for a while now and ive been siding with the dog saying i'll work with him but how many times can i say it and the dog chuck it back in my face. i guess ive just had an upsetting day and just ranting on but im really fed up, dissapointed and also gunna be outa pocket.....again. hes had more chances than dinners ohh i dont no hubby says hes gotta go im undecided and it also costs so much aswell with the quote i was given.
Back to top Go down
Allison
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 10:01 pm

Kirstie hopefully taking him to the classes will iron out some problems and help you get through this it would be such a shame to let him go after all the hard work you have put into him I really hope things start to get better for you is this the first time he has escaped from his crate ?
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm

If h is destructive when you leave him I am not sure that classes are going to help him with this. If you can afford it perhaps ask if you can have a one to one in your home from the same people Allison gave you.

You could try putting him in his crate with one biscuit. Going out as normal but only to the end of the garden path and then come back in a couple of minutes later. If he has been good, tell him so, let him out and give him a treat. Later try the same thing again but go for five to ten minutes and repeat and gradually build up the time.

Do you crate him at night when you are asleep and if so how does he get on then?
Back to top Go down
Allison
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 15 Feb 2010, 10:29 pm

I do agree with Sandi that if its actual training classes you are going to then its not going to help but yeah one to one is what you guys need - the trainer you have signed up with have they asked for a history of tyne prior to going to the class ? I know a very good behaviourist but dont think she covers the Durham area also it maybe an idea to speak to your vets surgery and ask if they can recommend a behaviourist also.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 8:39 am

hmmmm not good at all i have never had dog issues i have to say with chewing but i do with parrots who are actually as bad

now this is a thought that would make you able to keep him and also retain your home in one piece have you thought about making a kennel and run for him outside ? i,m not a fan of them really
BUT i really think if he would be out his crate at all times without him destroying your house and you getting so stressed and paying out on repairs then this may be the perfect way to solve the problems in side you could heat the kennel or even shed in the winter he could have a long run as long as your garden allowed with some safe chews wood etc (some i know use a type of log for this type of dog they good and strong so prevent boredom )you could put a nose ball in for him too :)) he can run around to his hearts content rather than a smaller crate its possible he,s really not taking to this if he is now learning how to get out i personally dont like crating dogs although i know some have to i just wouldnt do it (besides illness)

i,m sure if you have the space for this idea both you and tyne could live a long happy life together and it def is one to consider and try before the last route your beaking your over even thinking the vets as sandi and allison said classes wont cure the distructiveness

i have seen dogs that are distructive to this extent do really well outside in a kennel and run so i thought i,d recomend it to you
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 10:43 am

Ellie is so bad in a crate that the vets took her out, she was doing too much damage, ROFL

Kirsty if you want to phone me for a chat, I will pm you my phone number, often things come out when chatting that don't when writting and a lot of problems can be solved on the phone.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 1:35 pm

thanks every 1. he often escapes his crate but has never chewed and usually we leave him longer than that i just had a feeling that i had to get home to see to the dogs. i cannot kennel him outside due to 1 thing, next doors fence was blown down in september last year and still hasnt been replaced even though they have dogs themselves and the territory thing tyne goes nuts with them so when he is let out i stand outside like a lemon waiting for as long as he takes to do his buisness. to be honest that is getting on my nerves that they havent fixed it yet, ive spoke to them about it and they say they are onto it but saw no action. also our shed isnt really that large. ive came up with an idea that im going to try, we have a cupling i think thats how its spelt, where you can walk 2 dogs on 1 lead, and its a chain so ive found where hes headbutting the cage to part it to get out and ive hooked the catches over that part and also found a catch off an old dog lead that ive placed further down, hopefully that will work! hes been rather quiet today hes been in his crate with the door open. i noticed yestarday when we came in he was really cowering he knew he'd done wrong and ive never hit him, 4 1 i dont hit my others so i wont with him, but it was as if he'd had a really good going over. even today hes shakey when we are in the room. he is caged during the night from about 10/10:30pm and i let him out during the night and hes no bother, he doesnt escape then, its just when we are out. i may try getting him a bone to leave him with and only give him it when we are going out.
the trainer he's going to meet, shes a behaviourist and im going to talk to her about it after the class has ended on the 1st nyt. i begin to see great changes then he goes and knocks it bigstyle, i know doors can be replaced and that but he surely shouldnt be chewing now hes 18/19 month. i think the previous owners knew what they were doing when they got rid of him. im not upset etc 2day and am thinking more clearly and i dont want to part with him as hes a young dog but ive never ever had problems like this before and im at a loss for some reason. my hubby has given him the silent treatment today and tyne has stayed out of the way so i guess he knows hes in the dog house lol! bless him
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 2:47 pm

jas gives buffy the silent treatment and u know it flaming works she knows he is boss and when she done wrong she knows to not bother going for a fuss .
as for him cowering do u know if his previous owners hit him at all ?
although i will ssay if jas raises his voice buffy will cower yet we no for sure no one has touched her .
i know its hard hun and must be very stressfull for you and your hubby you need to stay calm and assertive easier said than done but like a child when you have had enough walk away and come back after a few minutes chill out time ,

and as for him being a pain hun an old friend of mine had an english bull that ate everything in site until he was 3 and the door if you have seen the tom n jerry cartoon where tom leaves a perfect cat shape through the door that was this bully he did through the bathroom door and the lounge he was also very unsure of strange dogs and would often show his other side but a lot of time and patience and that dog was the best dog in the world but he had all the time in the world to and only one dog .
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 3:32 pm

jo i got in touch with the previous owners when he first started showing agression n they said they used to smack him when he did wrong n he never did it again. which is something ive never done n wont do i think ur voice works much better than anything. my staffy cross taz was a chewer but it didnt get as bad as this at all. the silent treatment does work mind u and im going to use it more often, hes giving the feel sorry eyes and im just letting him get on with it, hes eventually came out of his cage now and is sittin on the sofa tryin to get my attention but im havin none of it till a bit later on, ive just had to shout at him well raise my voice as some 1 walked past the window n he went nuts and i just said settle or cage, n hes strait back on sofa with the eyes lol, i dont no. ive mailed his pre owners and told them what hes done and will see if they had any bother as they'l av had to leave him but i doubt they b honest n say well yes...... i should have known gettin a dog that was older would be trouble but never in my wildest dreams did i think he would be this bad especially when hes came from a home with kids!
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 4:01 pm

Dogs are a different species to us, they think differently and have a different language so how is a dog to understand the cold shoulder?

Dogs don't do right or wrong, they don't have this so how is a dog to understand the cold shoulder?

Something a dog did one minute ago they have forgotten, so how is a dog to know why he is being given the cold shoulder 5, 10, 30 minutes later let alone several hours?

Dogs don't do the cold shoulder?

All dogs understand is that they are being ignored, they don't know why, this really upsets and confuses them, many start showing calming signals because they are upset and confused, is this really what you want your dogs to do?

Sorry, I do feel very strongly about treating dogs like this, this type of behaviour is human and dogs don't do or understand it.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 4:10 pm

mattie i see where ur coming from and everything it was more a case of i darent speak to him rather than anything. he is back to 'normal' however he keeps looking at the door and puts his head down so he must remember something about it.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 6:08 pm

i will argue that one mattie sorry first for me lol
jas does it to buffy and she does understand she also knows how to creep to try and het him speak to her and i guarantee she doesnt do what she did to deserve the cold shoulder in the first palce again .
he doesnt do it for days or weeks just 30 minutes maybe less depending on how much she has upset him but i swear she knows the last time she ate his coat whilst it was on the back of the chair now he puts his coat there and she walks past she will look but she wont touch so something worked and clicked into place with her
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 7:34 pm

They are very clever dogs they know more than some people give them credit for :D
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 8:19 pm

kirstie wrote:
mattie i see where ur coming from and everything it was more a case of i darent speak to him rather than anything. he is back to 'normal' however he keeps looking at the door and puts his head down so he must remember something about it.

That is different Kirstie, I have felt like that myself many many times in the past, but your dog is picking up on your body language, they know there is something wrong because of the way we are, but they don't know why? If they don't know why they get upset and confused.

Jo, how soon after Buffy chewed the jacket?

Dogs learn to understand us, we teach them what our words mean, they learnt to read our body language, in fact they are a lot better at reading us than we are reading them, but they live in the now, they don't see consequences of their actions, if a dog learns not to do something it is because they have either been taught or had to work it out which takes a lot longer. You can teach them by positive methods or punishment, dogs will learn from both but with positive methods they don't learn to by fear, with punishment they do.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 8:34 pm

we actually caught her chewing she did it blatantley in front of us
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 8:45 pm

i dont know this dog will be the death of me!never ever have i had problems like this and we've had an older dog b4 and she was absolutley brilliant and she was badly treat b4 we got her. im going to try a few bits to see if it'l help n hopefully the cupling will prevent the houdini act. ive put so much work into this dog and im beginning to wonder if its worth it mayb its just the way im feeling as i love him 2 bits and no offence ment here mattie honestly but, when ur in the situation we all behave differently and i did what i did so i didnt lash out as i was so angry with him i do it to the others and they are ok. i now know ignoring him isnt the way but it did settle him down. i apreciate every1s advice and will take it on board
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 16 Feb 2010, 9:21 pm

awwww (((((((((Kirstie)))))))))))) no one can say you havent tried with tyne hun and he has tried you .
now i know this isnt the answer but isnt there anyone you know who would have him for a few days im thinking someone without a dog one to give you a break and the other thing im thinking is maybe he needs some time out or space from you and your other furbabies .
plus this will give you some thinking time to calmley think about what you want to do next hun
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Wed 17 Feb 2010, 12:28 pm

my hubby n me have been talking and hes gunna stay, im going to work with him more and try again from scratch. the last thing i want is to have to get rid of him as hes part of the family. ive been keeping him seperate from rocky with them fighting and that and i slowly been introducing them again and it seems to be working.....no fighting as of yet! every 1 i know and would trust with tyne have dogs and would it really help him as he would think hes being rehomed again?? things r calming down now i guess it has just been a initial reaction with us as we've never had this before with any of our dogs. the door gettin replaced next week and im going to get a stock of bones etc in for when we have to leave him as i cant be in 4ever with him to make sure he behaves. hes back to his bubbly self today and has been giving me cheek as usual and to be honest its nice to have him back so to say. we are going to go on a long walk ive got his water bottle ready and we are going to make a flask of tea and take him for a good hour or so walk. hopefully that will help him as wel instead of his normal half hour walk. there has to be light at the end of the tunnel we've come this far to let him destroying the door be the last
Back to top Go down
harry4trix
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 120

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Wed 17 Feb 2010, 12:38 pm

Hiya , We had our old girl Susie when we rescued trixie , trixie was 1 2months old and susie was near on 13 . Trixie was just so manic she had all our stair carpets down , the post would all be eaten , there were fights between susie and trixie this was all within the 1st couple of months in having them .. We had a behaviourist come round to advise us as we were at the end of our tether!
We took trixie to training classes to start her from scratch and get her used to other dogs and just went from there , trixies behaviour improved so it just took hard work with her .

Susie is no longer with us ( Rainbow Bridge ) but Trixie no longer detroys anything in the house and altho she can still be a right ole minx she is a lot lot better

Just so you know stick with it , it will get better xxx
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Wed 17 Feb 2010, 12:41 pm

It's so hard to know what to do when he is being the way he is hun, at the end of the day you have to do what is right for you guys.

I know how hard you work with him and it will pay off in the end you just cant see the light at the end of the tunnel yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   

Back to top Go down

how much more can 1 owner take!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next