Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

how much more can 1 owner take!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Thu 25 Feb 2010, 2:51 pm

awwwwwwww poor tyne and demi big hugs to you both must be blinking fustrating for them both and comfuddling xxx
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Thu 25 Feb 2010, 3:07 pm

yeah its coz shes never 'locked up' unless its her heat. its not the cleaning up that bothers me its her gettin caught again or shed b runnin riot in the room with me lol. she made me laugh b4 i went in 2 pet her n give her a cuddle and she started to tell me such a tale i thought she was never going to stop barking lol shes normally the quiet 1 lol
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Thu 25 Feb 2010, 3:15 pm

awwwww she telling her mummy she wants cuddles and lots of them xxx
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Thu 25 Feb 2010, 3:37 pm

Don't expect too much improvement while she is in season, his mind is on something else ROFL
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Thu 25 Feb 2010, 3:40 pm

thants exactly what i was thinking mattie, and her timing is brilliant as his classes begin next friday and she'l be fertile around that time aswell, never mind we'l try and work through it the best we can
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 5:17 pm

well ive had a really bad day 2day, nextdoors child came to the sittingroom window for the keys so he could ring his mam and when he put his hand in to get the key tyne tried to bite him. im gutted i dont know what to do with him at all. i mean do i get him destroyed or try to find him a home where the person has the time without anyother dogs to get him on track or do i try to continue with him?? hes never ever done anything like this at all i dont understand it i mean his mum could ask for him to be destroyed over it couldnt she even though he didnt get him
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 5:47 pm

well in theory possibly but also he stuck his hand thru the window of tynes home so he is defending it but if he is doing this regularly its a great concern yes and not sure if passing him on is a good idea in a way tbh trying to find someone experienced enough to handle a dog that has shown aggression wont be easy

now this is a long shot but have you considered offering him to the police (and before i get shot down for this lol) i know he isnt the normal breed but sometimes if a dog shows certian traits they can retrain to their advantage they do sometimes take then i did work a few bullie type breeds for the west mids section when at work we always tried them and they always came to have a look and even gave some a chance so its worth asking them but you may have a difficult choice to make by the sounds of him imo
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 7:07 pm

He is protecting his home don't tell him off for doing this, it's the child that should be taught that he should maybe come and ring the door bell or knock on the window.

Really hun don't be cross with him he was looking after you and his home.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 7:53 pm

im not cross with him at all i was more shocked to be honest. the bairn has done this many times but in future i'll b openin the door not the window. i know its more my fault it happened and i will not be puttin the dog in that position again i really should av known better. on a plus side ive just got back from seein baby brok!!!! awwwww hes lush, n very very wrinkly!!!! got pics i'll upload them in a bit. im sure it was a 1 off with tyne as he didnt growl or bark or anything he just snacked at him but im going to move the sofa as he was standing on that to get his head out of window.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 8:40 pm

That is normal behaviour for a dog and is what I would expect, NOBODY should put their hand through a window with a dog in the house, that is asking to be bitten. This' isn't his fault, it is your's for letting a child do this.

This isn't a bad day, it is a good one, it shows that he will protect his home.

If you can't cope with him being a dog then he would be better rehomed, he is a dog being a dog, he needs guidance for what is acceptable and what isn't, he hasn't had any guidance for someone putting their hand in the window so he had to make the decision himself, he doesn't understand that it is a child and is allowed, if this was someone trying to break in you would be proud of him.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 9:12 pm

yes mattie and i already said it was my fault not tynes im not dissagreeing with u in anyway at all and to be honest i really dont need that rubbed in. i had a knock today n i know i said what should i do but im going to carry on and continue to work with him as i have being and certainly wont be opening the window again 4 'easyness or lazyness' as it really was. i didnt tell the dog off at all i said sorry to the bairn. all im going to say is i am human and i make mistakes but trust me i have learned my lesson in a big way and not 1 im going to repeat or going to 4get easily.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 10:09 pm

kirstie wrote:
. im gutted i dont know what to do with him at all. i mean do i get him destroyed or try to find him a home where the person has the time without anyother dogs to get him on track or do i try to continue with him??

You asked if you should get him destroyed for your mistake, how do you expect others to take that?

Everyone makes mistakes, I have made plenty in the past, it is how we handle the mistakes that really matters, asking if you should destroy your dog is not handling the problem. You made the mistake, I replied to what you had written, if you don't like it tough, I don't like you asking to destroy a dog that was just being a dog. Don't attack me for your mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Mon 01 Mar 2010, 10:48 pm

if we didnt make mistakes kirstie hun we would have nothing to learn from thats how i look at it and things happen that yep we can prevent them but we don't think , this is a humans downfall .
if that had been buffy in fear and temper at myself id have probabley said the same as you and it is fear more than anything
fear of the mother fear the fact that my dog is capable of biting a human .
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 12:48 pm

Kirstie you are doing an amazing job with him other people would have given up a long time ago and either had him destroyed or given him away.

We learn every day with our dogs, it's just so hard when you are going through what you are, daisy is a nightmare right now after they were both attacked on or off the lead she wants to kill any other dog she sees.

Thankfully this behaviourist is coming on Saturday and its only £40 for the assessment maybe that would be a idea a one on one session.

But anyway as I said you are doing a fantastic job don't put yourself down.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 1:07 pm

mattie i wasnt attacking you at all and im sorry that you felt that way but i also felt that you were attacking me. i was going through the options that i saw at the time and the destroying part isnt something that id take lightly at all. and i did agree with you that it was my fault all of it and something that i will not be repeating again. im working as hard as i can with him. also the only thing i can attribute to his change yestarday is the fact the demi is in heat and he was reacting to that. i do know they can be funny at times like this. my main problem was shock yestarday. today is another day and ive been out working hard with him. but i ask you 1 thing if it had happened to you bearing in mind his previous behaviour would you have the thought go through your head? it was an option i didnt say i was going to do this and i am passionate about dogs aswell i guess my trust in him was dented through my own fault not his and it made me realise how something so simple can turn really nasty in seconds. he is a lovely dog but i have seen his nasty side before this occasion and it got me thinking about my options. im not a person that gives in easily at all if i were then he'd have been gone a long time ago. im putting this down to experience and going to carry on the best i can. im going to see the trainer after class on friday and see what she says as i want to turn this around as it was my fault not tynes and anything that could be suggested to change my behaviour to prevent this then il take it on board. sorry again mattie i wasn't being funny at all
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 1:17 pm

hun the thought would go through my head in that instant i have been there i have had to have a dog put to sleep because he for no reason what so ever bit my then 3 yr old stepson somthing i refuse to tolerate although he was a nasty dog all his life other than with me due to his first 12 mths of life (as many owners as his age almost ) and i had him from 12mths untill almost 10 so most of it was old age as well but i know how it can go thru your mind

and whist yes he was defending his property i really dont see how you were at fault tbh you should be able to open a window yourself without fear of him doing that you cannot life your life around that behaviour your working really hard with him and giving him chance after chance but i think now it may be time to contact his breed rescue and see if they could find a home one on one with an experienced owner to see if that would help

having him as he is with your others to and with the bitch in heat wont help no but he does show aggression tendancies for no reason and defending the property is going to happen but you can also end up in court for it too and they can order him to be pts if they find him likely to do it again so dont feel bad for it going through your head hun personally i my self in that situation would sit take a long hard look and ring my vet and have a very long chat with him and ive worked with many aggressive dogs
so dont beat yourself up about thinking about it sometimes that decision could be the best all round for some dogs and only you can know if it really is or not as you live with him work with him and try so hard with him xx
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 1:26 pm

Kirstie I'm not aware of the full story but I do sympathise.

Poppy has a destructive side, she will literally chew through a door, loud noises, fireworks, etc seem to exaggerate Poppy and it can be soul destroying, I paid thousands out last year putting my house right with repairs and new doors only for Poppy to have since chewed the doors yet again. There have been times in the past when I've been told by others and the thought has even gone through my head should I re-home or destroy her but I know in my heart no matter how annoying she can be that I could never get rid of her.

Poppy is in season too at the moment, her last season thank goodness, Poppy is being spayed in next few months but Ollie is a totally different dog when Poppy is in season, I was unsure of how Ollie would be this time as he was castrated last year due to the tumour but even still Ollie is quite un-predictable. Remember, a dogs senses are much more powerful than a humans.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 1:37 pm

thanks angel i felt really attacked from mattie i know she means well and i did agree with her fully but can this behaviour be tollerated i dont think so. a snack leads to other things. i working so hard and yes it partly was my fault but the child has done this for months and months. i also have a 4yr old male rottie here 2 and he never ever has done anything like this when demi has been in heat. i feel guilty for thinking what i have but it was an option that was all. i apreciate every 1s advice i really do and hopefully i'l get some advice on friday aswell and go from there i just cried n cried yestarday feeling like i failed him but he had the choice and he made a bad 1 he came from a home with young children and i bet their fingers went places they shouldnt have. im hoping that i can get somewhere with him. im going to go for a long walk with him later on to clear my head and tire him out lol. i think half the problem is that we havent had him from a puppy wendy our others we had no problems with what so ever they are really well behaved yes they bark when somebody comes to the door but they didnt chew apart from my staffy x he destroyed a few things. we've had him now for around 8 months i do try to keep on top of him but its proving to be harder than i thought
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 2:48 pm

the trouble is with text is it can be totally taken the wrong way n i think it defo was between mattie and i sorry
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 3:33 pm

its allways the same hun with text and it gets taken differentley depending on the mood its read in to if your stressed upset ect then things can be read the wrong way
but no harm done
and at the end of the day allways remember we are all here to suport one another and help if we can
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 5:15 pm

i do apreciate it hun i really do as i really dont want to part with him in any way at all i think im just again at a loss as to which way 2 turn something is going to have to change but where do i start. my brother came unexpected and he knocks n walks in which is something he has always done and he went for his wrist luckily he just got the cuff and my bro thought he was playing but i knew better so tyne was put out of the way for his own benefit
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 9:21 pm

he seems to becoming a bit over protective but i could be wrong
as said earlier with demi in season tyne will be fustrated and a little hyper which could be upsetting him more than usual .
only you can decide hun how much more you can take and how much futher you want to go with tyne
no one will judge you hun what ever you decide to do , maybe you should sit back and talk to someone who can actually see for themselves what tyne is like and then think about the options and what is best for you
as it is everytime someone comes to your house you are going to be on edge and tyne is going to pick up on this and react to it .

ceasar milan was on tonight and i wasnt watching much but i did hear him say about two dogs on the show that they have to read his body and should react without him even opening his mouth .

good luck hun in what ever you decide my heart goes out to you as you have been through a lot with tyne as jackie says more than most owners would .
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Tue 02 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm

Some dogs whether there is a brain injury or a psychological problem will never be able to be in a home with other animals or on their own, it does happen and there is nothing we can do about it.

He seems to me to be getting worse, now you lot can't rant and rave at me all you like but it is the way it is, he should not be like that with your brother if he does it on a regular basis there is no reason for him to be aggressive, even with a bitch in season.

I watched a program called "It's me or the dog" this woman had 2 spaniel type dogs two little girls husband etc, these dogs were very food orientated and would steal off the table off the girls etc, and one of the little girls got bit quiet bad from one of them. (can be watched on 4od online the channel 4 catch up service)

Well to cut a long story short the dogs learned about the food issues with her but unprovoked turned and seriously bit the one daugther, they had to have the dog put to sleep, because you can't rehome a dog that is likely to bite again.

Don't get me wrong I would never want to put a dog to sleep, but everything you have done and are doing doesn't seem to have a huge impact on him and to me he seems to be getting worse. It's such a dreadful decision to make because you feel like you have failed in some way, but I don't think that is true, like people some of us are just born mean or crazy if you know what I mean, it's the same with animals.

I think you should speak to your vet and ask their honest opinion and maybe even if you phone up a behaviourist and see what they have to say. If he continues to get worse someone could get hurt and you wouldn't want that I am positive.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Wed 03 Mar 2010, 7:59 am

its a thought here as he has been a tad unpredicatable

food what was it you feed him again i ask this because a friend of mine was over last week talking about how her "staffie x bull masstiff " had suddently started trying to biteother people and snapping at the other dog with treats etc when out walking and was getting unpredicatable in that way so i questioned her about food she had always used bakes chicken as her other dog could only use that she had tried wggg ages ago but it upset the one (and its now advertised all the time on tele additive free too always has been but now they put it on tele too) she had bought the beef bakers for a change and on refelection thought hmm yes since we had that shes turned so i sent her off to get a bag of chicken wagg to try it again result

well she is over the moon not only has her dog changed back to a lovely dog again she has stopped scratching her paws too and the other dog is ok on it too the change in behaviour started to show after only 2-3 days and gets beeeter the longer the beef food is out of her systeme

it is worth a look at that and possible castrate which from my experience should have been done from the off but in the long run hun can you honestly say you can trust him ?????? she has also recomemed it to another friend that has issues with their dog too to see if it will help her god old wagg saves the dog again :)))) thats how bad the dog was getting

as jackie says you have worked hard but its not seeming to actually make an impact for your sanaity your life as weel as tynes you do need to take a step back and look at it long term before somone does get hurt i think
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   Wed 03 Mar 2010, 1:13 pm

i usually ask people 2 tell me when they r leaving to call at ours but my bro 4got. we seem to get so far with certain things then he'l start again with other problems. ive never trusted tyne but i think its cause we havent had him from a puppy like the 1s we have now. ive looked up castration and it says that it can make their behaviour worse than it was. he is fed wagg he has the chicken n veg flavour as the other dogs r fine with it and so is he it doesnt seem to affect his tummy in any way. im going to ring the vet up and ask their opinion about him. dont get me wrong when hes good hes lovely but this turn in behaviour is really scaring me we never have had to worry about callers b4. yes the others bark when they come to the door but ive never had to worry about them being nasty towards them at all. i know i cant keep him locked away forever just incase some1 forgets to inform me they r coming round but also i dont want any1 getting hurt. i resolved him trying to snack at me when trying to remove him from an area i put him on a lead n walked him yes kicking and screaming but he went to another room. then he was quiet when i did it so i thought result! i just dont know how much more im able to take. i know i certainly cant put this on anybody else it wouldnt be fair to him or the person who took him. i think thats what happened to us and i vowed never again would we take on an older dog through our experience. i know they arent all like this we just were unlucky. i am trying my best with him and i have looked into help i.e. the classes which start friday. i know people dont agree with the halti (neither do i ) but i'll be using that to take him to classes on friday so if he was to snack i can stop him i'll see what the vet says when i ring as hes had health checks after health checks and they say hes fine and to be honest at the min we dont have the money to 'waste' on a check that he doesnt need. i know that sounds wrong but i certainly would take him if i thought there was something with him but its not that long since his last check. i'll admit ive thought about getting him destroyed and got scrutinised for it as we've tried and tried and tried we've givin him chance after chance and we get somewhere then back to square 1. now with the snacking i dont know if im prepared to work any more and before anybody slates me im just going through my options lol. if it was up to the hubby hed av gone along time ago its me who's kept him going but now im beginning to think have i done the right thing there. i just dont know but i think your right ive gotta seriously think and make a decision and its going to be a hard 1 scratch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how much more can 1 owner take!   

Back to top Go down

how much more can 1 owner take!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next