Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Nipping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Nipping   Tue 15 Jul 2014, 8:25 pm

Belle has had issues nipping since we got her, usually when she gets excited. When she nips I do a sharp intake of breath which stops her but only for a few seconds and then she does it again. A couple of weeks ago she was chasing Reuben around the field so I sat down and they both came running over and because I was playing with Reuben she nipped my arm causing a bruise

Any other ideas on how to deal with this? I don't want to be too hard on her as she is getting a lot more confident now and don't want to hinder her progress

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Nipping   Tue 15 Jul 2014, 10:47 pm

A water spray/bottle or do you think that might be too harsh.

Or maybe a stern 'no'
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nipping   Wed 16 Jul 2014, 6:31 am

I think she would be wet through. Its worse when I come in from work as they are both excited and I dont fuss them until I have been into the kitchen, put my bags down etc but as I walk through the living room she is jumping up nipping at my hands

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Nipping   Tue 29 Jul 2014, 9:14 pm

We didn't have a very good day yesterday, a lady who I have only met once before came to my house to pick up some fishy bits I was selling and some how Belle managed to nip her nose and draw blood, I think she bent over to strike her and she jumped up and nipped her. I was mortified and thankfully the lady was OK about it.

I really need to get to grips with this and will speak to our trainer on Thursday. I have been trying to use no but when I do that she looks like someone has just beaten her up so I assume this is not a good word and could be something not too good from her past. Ah ah seems to be getting a response from her but I use that for other things so not sure if I will confuse her?

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Nipping   Wed 30 Jul 2014, 6:14 pm

I was just going to suggest a spray bottle or water pistol just to get it stopped before she gets worse x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nipping   

Back to top Go down

Nipping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1