Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Boris and Belle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31849

PostSubject: Boris and Belle   Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:16 pm

It has been ten months since we adopted Belle and there are no signs of her and the cat ever getting on.
The cat tolerates Reuben as he tends to steer clear of it but Belle doesn't and if the cat goes for Belle she fights back. I have also noticed Belle is pushing it a bit with the cat and will often follow the cat, I'm sure to antagonise him.
They have had a few Tom and Jerry moments lately and I am suprised neither of them are injured.
Has anyone else had issues like this?

The cat is a lot more tolerant of people, in fact he is very nice to people now and regularly wants a cuddle but I just can't risk leaving him in when the dogs are in

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Sat 16 Aug 2014, 11:51 am

Sorry Jo, can't help, I haven't got a cat but will  bumping  your post x
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23371

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Sat 16 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm

Hi Jo, I'm sorry too as u can't offer advice :( I do hope you're able to find a happy balance xx
Back to top Go down
lynneand billy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 103

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Sat 16 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm

Sorry jo we don't have a cat but if we did billy would not like it  blush 

If you know what I mean
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:36 pm

Yes I know, if it was just Reuben it would be ok as he has been brought up with cats and Tends to steer clear whereas Belle seems him as a challenge

Maybe one day we will have a calm household  bash

Last edited by Staffylover on Wed 04 Feb 2015, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:15 pm

tbh Jo i think shes been quite tolerant really , if wiley lived at your house to put it bluntly you wouldnt have a cat he would kill it

But like you say i cant see them ever getting on its been too long now but i have read where dogs have hated cats tho and with a bit of training they can be learnt to get along , i dont think that would ever work with wiley as his prey drive is high with small furries , but it may with belle as she is imho fairly tolerent , get on google and research introducing dogs and cats
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:17 pm

also just remmeber shes got JRT in her aswell and they can be catters , my daughetrs is a sod for chasing cats . yet hes been brought up with cats
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Thu 21 Aug 2014, 6:23 am

When we adopted Chloe she hated cats and i think her previous owner had taught her to kill cats as she was awful, it was so bad we thought we would have to return her to the rescue but we persevered and they did learn to live together, although they were never best of friends. Again the cat was a stray that we inherited when we bought the house (he lived in the shed) and he was a very tough cookie just like Boris

Things were find until Chloes dementure started to progress and she would forget and attack the cat which wasnt good at the cat was about 19 years old by this time, luckily for the cat Chloes teeth were quite worn at 14/15 so she did not do too much damage

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:02 am

Staffylover wrote:
When we adopted Chloe she hated cats and i think her previous owner had taught her to kill cats as she was awful, it was so bad we thought we would have to return her to the rescue but we persevered and they did learn to live together, although they were never best of friends.  Again the cat was a stray that we inherited when we bought the house (he lived in the shed)  and he was a very tough cookie just like Boris

Things were find until Chloes dementure started to progress and she would forget and attack the cat which wasnt good at the cat was about 19 years old by this time, luckily for the cat Chloes teeth were quite worn at 14/15 so she did not do too much damage

I often think wileys been taught cause he's flaming unbearable when he see's one in the garden if hes locked in here , but it could just be instinct with him

The only other option is to rehome boris , but rehoming cats sometimes can be harder than rehoming dogs as theres just so many stray cats about , my neigbours got at least 7 cats she only had two orginally and she took in a stray that had kittens then she kept all the kittens , theres a couple of strays that roam my garden , so cats arent the easiet of things to rehome especially older ones
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Thu 21 Aug 2014, 8:38 pm

I have contemplated rehoming a couple of times but I can't bring myself to do it and I had visions that he would just turn back up again anyway

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Thu 21 Aug 2014, 9:38 pm

Sorry to hear Boris & Belle aren't getting along Jo...there have been great videos on you tube on introducing dogs & cats which may be useful?
We used to have a cat but we sadly lost her earlier in the year (suspected renal failure)...we nearly got a kitten about a month ago but I decided against it, you see Buddy is furry aggressive so it wouldn't have been fair on Buddy or the kitten...Buddy did have my cat once soon after we got him 2 years ago, omg that is a scene I won't forget, luckily the cat was ok but after that they did have to be kept apart...I do wonder if Buddy was being trained for fighting before we got him has I've no doubt he would kill if he got the chance has if he sees a cat in the garden or a bird fly over he wants to go for it, he'd probably have my bunny if I let him get near her but yet the dogs get on brilliantly...Strange!!!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Fri 22 Aug 2014, 6:27 am

Funny things aren't they Wendy. I don't know how my two haven't been injured when they have fought, but they are I my ever brief as I always step in immediately.
In fact I have had worse injuries splitting them up when I broke my toe running downstairs to get to them

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   Wed 04 Feb 2015, 9:52 pm

Well we thought things had started to settle down until a couple of weeks ago when they had a fight in the kitchen over a piece of meat that was dropped in the floor. Belle and Boris both went for it and a fight ensued

When things are calm in the house belle will try and approach the cat for a sniff but the cat won't enetrtain her any closer than three feet

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boris and Belle   

Back to top Go down

Boris and Belle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1