Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Sleeping arrangements

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Sleeping arrangements    Mon 18 Aug 2014, 12:01 am

I need some advice on how to stop Enzo sleeping on my bed, or at least not under the duvet with me at night.

I keep waking up in the morning with back ache because I'm sleeping around him awkwardly. He always has to be right close up to me smack bang in the middle of the bed and I'm hanging on to the edge!

I don't mind him on my bed, just rather he was at the bottom of my bed instead of taking up all of the room!

I tried putting his round cushion/bed at the end of my bed and telling him to get in to it at night time but he just gets back out of it, even though the duvet is over him! I even tried giving him a treat when he got in to it to try praising him for it but then he still gets back out!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Mon 18 Aug 2014, 6:05 am

I was going to suggest putting a blanket or similar over him as Reuben used to get on our bed all the time and I only allow then on the bed when I have got up and hubby is still in there but when I started to cover him in his own bed it did stop him

I think its going to be hard as he has always done it.

My friend has a similar issue except she had two on her bed and she was getting a sore back as one of them wanted to lie in the curve of her back. She sorted this by buying a cot bed second hand and it goes right next to her bed and the boys now both sleep in there. Not sure if that would work for you?

The other alternative is you make him sleep in his own bed on the floor and dont let him on the bed at all

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:26 am

You could try getting him a new bed and making it all cosy and telling him he has to stay there, it might be a bit trial and error on the first night.

You could always then invite him up first thing in the morning for a cuddle so he doesn't miss out.

I cracked it with Kassi like that.

Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 521

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Mon 18 Aug 2014, 12:45 pm

I'm rubbish. Cody does exactly the same in my bed. He gets under the covers and I end up sleeping in such odd positions just because he's in the way.

I decided enough was enough and started leaving him to sleep in the front room at night. He didn't seem phased at all but guess what?.... I missed him and couldn't sleep properly without him in my bed lol I let him back into my bed the next night and carried on as normal :p

Last edited by *lou* on Mon 18 Aug 2014, 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Mon 18 Aug 2014, 5:47 pm

That's a good idea I could buy a new bed instead of moving his old bed and place the new one in a new position somewhere and start a fresh.

They are terrible aren't they, is it just a staffy thing or do all dogs do this?

Back to top Go down
a1jo
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 106

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Fri 22 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm

We had this with marlie. So when craig stoped working nights she was a pain in the bum so I made her a nice comfy bed right next to ours and she has her own sooft throw she come in for a cuddle and b4 we go to sleep I lift her on to her bed and say your bed and cover her up she is good now at first she kkept getting up on to ours but I just kept saying your bed and she would jump down and get back in hers now shes fine stays in hers all night till morning when she comes in when I tell her she can. Our beds low so I can still stroke her ears when she's in her bed so it's like she's still with us. Xxx
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Tue 26 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

Well I've now got a new bed for him which he kind of stays in at night but I have to keep telling him to get back in to it. I've placed the new bed on my bed next to me.

Tonight I thought I'd bring his new bed onto the sofa next to me whilst I watch tv etc, but he's currently sat on my lap!!

He just has to be on me at all times lol!

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Tue 26 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm

I think you just have to retrain him honey.

Place his bed on the floor next to your bed and say go to your bed n reward when he does.

If he jumps on your bed just say no and tell him to go to his bed.

I've managed it and Diesel I'd a stubborn pooch lol.

During the day I close the door do I'm not giving mixed messages.

He will get used to it, but Enzo can only go on your bed if you invite him once your in it for example :)

You do feel mean, but it's not mean xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Tue 26 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm

It can be really hard work, Reuben is getting in ours two or three times a night, each time disturbing me. As soon as I tell him 'your bed' he jumps down and gets in his bed but then will get up again within a short space of time

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Wed 27 Aug 2014, 7:08 am

Just persevere honey you can do it xx
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    Sat 30 Aug 2014, 10:38 am

as above percivere and dont give in , wiley would sleep on our bed if i let him , but i have trained him from day one to sleep downstairs , he tries it on alot , but i only have to say down even in a soft voice now and he goes downstairs in his bed , i dont want to push you into an expensive bed but wiley is better since i got the tuffies nest , he doesnt even use the sofa as much now and never sleeps on it at night , he always beds down in his own bed as he loves it that much
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sleeping arrangements    

Back to top Go down

Sleeping arrangements
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1