Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Excited Urination

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 6:54 pm

Hi guys

Re: Excited Urination / Piddling

Has anyone ever experienced excited urination / piddling with their dogs?  I believe that's the correct term.  

Our Staffie Shadow will be 3 in October, how time flies!  But ever since we got him, we rescued him at 19 weeks, he has had a problem with holding his urine, he will pee anywhere & everywhere especially if he gets excited / nervous .  He will even urinate in his crate too so wash his crate bedding at least once a week, depending how many times the dogs are left depends on how many times the crate bedding needs to be washed . He's been checked by the vet and is fine, I have searched the internet endlessly to find tricks to try stop this but nothing helps. Has anyone else experienced this and / or know any tricks to overcoming this?

Last edited by Wendy on Wed 20 Aug 2014, 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

I have never come across this but I'm sure Mandy had this problem when she first adopted Wiley and I'm sure he no longer does it but I don't know how she worked through it. My friend has a springer who does it when you first go to the house but if you ignore him and then leave it about ten minutes before you stroke him he is OK, he is eight now and has always done it

Is he generally a nervous dog? Do you know much about his first 20 weeks?

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm

Hi honey, I think many dogs do this although it does seem bitches seem to do it more.

The only thing I can suggest is trying to keep him calm when greeting etc.

As far as weeing in the crate have you thought of joining two together and line one with a pee pad or artifical grass n the other with his bed in it? Secure them with lots of cable ties to ensure a snug fit? Xx
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 8:39 pm

I did Jo

He really was bad , i will start from the beginning , when i first met him at the previous owners he ran to me all excited and peed allover me , i thought oh dear god the dogs incontinent i dont want a incontinent dog , but i took him on , the first night he stayed in the kitchen when we come down in the morning there was no mess , but as soon as he clapped eyes on us he got all excited and peed alover the floor before i could get him outside . so to start with i tried not to get him excited and get him outside every morning before he did it so it was outside , this lasted a week then it graduallly got better but it werent perfect he still would have the odd excitement nervous pee , i used to find he had done it on the sofa aswell in the night , i could guarantee we couldnt go anymore than two weeks untill we had an accident through the night , sometimes he would go dry for 3 weeks , then wet for a couple of days and back dry again , i couldnt really understand why he did that , if a dog had a go at him on a park he would tend to wet the bed that night , if he thought he was in trouble he would do it

Im not sure my ways are goin to work with yours as you have had yours longer , mine was kinda i think just the way he had been treated and locked in a crate all day so he got so excited to be out and about and im convinced someone may of been abit heavy handed with him

but all i did was completly ignore it on the sofa and just clean up without saying anything , when hubby came home from work he was taken outside to get excited , even now i make sure he's had a pee before i let hubby get him excited when he comes in from work , as on the odd occasion if his bladders full he will leak with excitement , but touch wood its not often and he hasnt wet the bed for months touch wood , wiley has just gradually become more settled i think with us and kinda grown out of it so to speak , you can litrally have him jumping from the cieling now with excitement and he wont usually pee , but theres always the chance he will so i take precuations if its a stranger that gets him silly i will try and carm him down quick as dont want the embarrasement of him doin it , but i have heard that some dogs do just do that , i think martin told me that when i told him about wiley doin it , that some dogs do just pee with excitement , my advice would be to keep the dog not excited , just try to carm the situation all the time , thats what we did if we come in from shopping we would ignore him then take him in the garden for a pee

he can go all day and not pee so i knew he could hold on , he goes out at 8.30 pm till 9.30 at the moment for his last walk to catch the light , and he will go till gone 8am easy without a pee break , he comes up into our bed at 6.30 alot of mornings and stays there till gone 8am at weekends and doesnt have any accidents so i knew he could hold on , so it was just a blip with excitement and nervousness maybe i was just lucky to crack the habit of him doin it

i personally believe thats maybe the reason im his 4th owner aswell because maybe his other owners couldnt be arsed with it and moved him on , but i think they caused it by locking him in the crate all the time
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 9:29 pm

We know we are Shadows 3rd owners from his papers and vaccination documents, from what we were told the previous owner brought Shadow & his sister for her children but they soon got fed up so cast them away, his sister was rescued before we got Shadow so didn't get to meet her, sadly we don't know much else about his first 19 weeks. I remember Shadow getting excited and having an weeing accident when we first met him but wasn't too worried about it at that point and thought he'd grow out of it but obviously not.

Just lately, the last month or so, Shadow I believe seems to be suffering with separation anxiety also, When we are out Shadow & Buddy go in their crates, I normally let them back out of their crates and out for a wee as soon as I've unpacked but until I do Shadow continues to constantly whine quite loudly.

Buddy has always suffered separation anxiety from the very first day we got him, Buddy was 20 weeks when we got him in November 2012 and we are his 5th owners, Buddy is much calmer but i do wonder if Shadow has learnt how to get attention from Buddy's behaviour.

I have lost track of the number of sofas we have destroyed due to Shadow sprinkling on them. My son recently brought me a matching pair of sofas and I try keep Shadow off them unless he's calm and will settle down but it is a daily struggle, luckily the cushion covers are removable but obviously I don't really want to be washing them constantly, throws would probably be the answer on furniture but I don't tend to use throws has as soon as dog gets up or if sit down the throw looks untidy, sorry if sound like moaning but all the dogs have always been allowed on the furniture

Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 9:44 pm

Suzie: I haven't tried joining two crates together no, Shadow is quite a character, he worked out how to get out of his crate quite early on, he's in an XL crate, I use to tie it shut using cable ties but he used to just chew through them, so now we use metal clips to hold the crate doors shut so not sure it would work but thank you for the suggestion
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 9:47 pm

Wendy wrote:
We know we are Shadows 3rd owners from his papers and vaccination documents, from what we were told the previous owner brought Shadow & his sister for her children but they soon got fed up so cast them away, his sister was rescued before we got Shadow so didn't get to meet her, sadly we don't know much else about his first 19 weeks. I remember Shadow getting excited and having an weeing accident when we first met him but wasn't too worried about it at that point and thought he'd grow out of it but obviously not.

Just lately, the last month or so, Shadow I believe seems to be suffering with separation anxiety also, When we are out Shadow & Buddy go in their crates, I normally let them back out of their crates and out for a wee as soon as I've unpacked but until I do Shadow continues to constantly whine quite loudly.

Buddy has always suffered separation anxiety from the very first day we got him, Buddy was 20 weeks when we got him in November 2012 and we are his 5th owners, Buddy is much calmer but i do wonder if Shadow has learnt how to get attention from Buddy's behaviour.

I have lost track of the number of sofas we have destroyed due to Shadow sprinkling on them. My son recently brought me a matching pair of sofas and I try keep Shadow off them unless he's calm and will settle down but it is a daily struggle, luckily the cushion covers are removable but obviously I don't really want to be washing them constantly, throws would probably be the answer on furniture but I don't tend to use throws has as soon as dog gets up or if sit down the throw looks untidy, sorry if sound like moaning but all the dogs have always been allowed on the furniture

It's a pain on the sofa and my sofas were only 5 years old when i got wiley and in perfect condition what i did was have a nice looking throw like a fleecy one just on the base on the cusions i tucked it under for neatness i still have that now as wileys feet can pong abit and dont want it directly on the sofa , but at nighttime i used to throw a divet on to pad it so if he did wee that generally saved it , i used to leave it on i nthe day aswell when i first got him, but i agree having stuff on sofas does look a tad unsightly , only other option is a leather sofa so you can wipe it

I have never used the crate as i found wiley didnt like it even tho hes been crated from a baby i think ? so he has the run of the house but i think hes been cruely put in a crate all day and all night hence the peeing in the first place , i gave him the option of the crate for the first week and he pulled his bedding out of it and slept on the floor , i also think he may of been kenneled at some point outside , have you tried them without a crate ? i wouldnt like to recommend it just incase they wrecked your house whilst you were out , but i took the risk and wiley has been fine he's adapted and settled into family life without the need to be crated at all , i peer through the window when i get back from leaving him and hes always asleep on the sofa or sat on the sofa looking startled cause he's heard the car

i often worry about separation anxiety with him as at the moment i dont work but that wont be forever , so i try to leave him as much as i can like when we go shopping etc just so hes used to not having me there all the time , peeing and separation anxiety go to gether so you may have a joint issue there

The main thing is not to get them excited at all , and dont make a fuss when you leave the house or when you come in as that can make separation issues worse , and i would say make a fuss when they do pee outside , i always used to tell him he was a good boy when he peed in the garden for a quite a while when i first got him
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:22 pm

I did have a brown leather sofa Hun which was a blessing really has it was sooo easy to keep clean but my son really dislikes leather sofas hence why he brought the matching pair that we have now, the new sofas have a leather frame but chenille style fabric seat & back cushion covers .

Has you have said Hun, I think we will have to cover the seats with throw overs just to protect them

I use the crates Hun has we have the 3 dogs, Poppy, Shadow & Buddy, Poppy has the sofas, the boys have their crates, the boys play well together but they can get a little boisterous if not watched and we have had a few fights / minor disagreements start which we have quickly been able to stop so if I'm honest I'm not really comfortable leaving the boys un-crated when going out

Overnight Poppy stays in my bedroom, Shadow sleeps with my son and Buddy sleeps with my daughter, so certainly don't need to worry about them messing the sofas overnight but perhaps it's because they've always had us so close by that maybe my own downfall, lol .

One annoying thing is if Shadow has had an sprinkling accident on the sofa Buddy will come along and cock his leg on the side of the sofa, Buddy is usually clean in the house as is Poppy but I think that is more a territorial marking issue

Has I said in my initial post, I have endlessly searched the internet for ways to stop this behaviour, one which I did find had you using the sit command when the dog started becoming excited which I have been using which I think is helping a little

Under no circumstance would we get rid of any of the dogs, they are for life has far as I'm concerned with or without their issues
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:40 pm

Yes i quite agree leaving the dogs alone could well be a disaster , i only really suggested it as i feel that wileys crating may of caused the peeing as he just got so excited to be out of the crate

Im not a great fan of leather so im with your son LOL but i think with messy incidents they are easier to clean

if you have one cocking ones leg then i guess you need to throughly clean that area so theres no smell which obviously no smell to us is a big smell to a dog so isnt goin to be easy :(

i would just carry on with what your doin and keep excitements to zero
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Wed 20 Aug 2014, 10:48 pm

oh just to add forgot , my daughters dogs brother does this aswell and hes done it from a pup hes now 4 i think and i met him for the first time a few weeks back and i was warned not to look or even speak to him for 10 minutes i had to walk in the house like normal and just kinda pretend he wasnt there then after 10 minutes i could let him come to me and thats how his owner gets around him doin it , but that doesnt really help on your bed wetting tho :(
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   Sun 31 Aug 2014, 12:34 am

Myers does this, he's 4 now. He's usually on his back when it happens and it's when he meets certain people, mostly my mother in law. It's not a lot of urine just a little spray but it happens every time he meets her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excited Urination   

Back to top Go down

Excited Urination
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1