Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

cant believe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: cant believe    Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:42 am

Ive had wiley a year on friday , doesnt time fly spinner smile

He's been such a good dog and settled in vertually straightaway , everyone we meet on parks loves him and he's got quite well known now , i never thought owning such a breed would have such good attension , i thought i would be in for some crap tbh but its been totally the opposite , a lady i have known since i got him remarked on how well behaved he was yesterday, i think he's quite naughtly and disobedinent , but i suppose compared to some dogs he's not bad , i would just like to be able to have him off lead and no he will stay with me at all times , but i cant trust him with that as he does run off at times so he has to be on a lead if theres ppl we dont know

Even now after a year im still intrigued at why im his 4th owner as hes not a problem dog well part from quite sicky through eating/licking stuff he shouldnt , ive just had to worm him again in the space of 8 weeks as i suspected worms again , goin to mention it to the vet next month when he has his jabs see if they can advice me

heres a pic from the day i got him

And some taken just now

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31893

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:14 pm

He's a gorgeous boy and such a pleasant boy too. I can't understand why he has been passed around so much either
The main thing is he has a fab forever home now x

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:52 pm

I think it just proves that not all dogs on the free sites have issues and that there are genuine cases you just have to be vigilant as i walked away from two others that i knew wouldnt be right for us

Its funny aswell cause when i was looking i tried to gather as much info as poss from ppl i knew with staffies , martin was a brill help and did help me get wiley , but i also contacted someone else on a car forum who owns 8 staffies , yes thats right 8 LOL and she said to me dont get one over 10 month old as there stubborn little buggers so training an older one would be a problem , and she also tried to steer me away from a staffie and said if its a family dog your after then get a retriver , now whether that was because she wanted to steer me away from staffs thinking i was goin to be another idiot owner getting rid when the novelty had worn off i dont know but wiley has made a great family pet and a retriver from what i have seen are hard work need loads of excersize been a working breed not to mention they take all the house up as there that big , i hate it when ppl say get a dog under a certian age as it kinda makes the older ones not have a chance .

i would of really liked to of rescued taken one from a kennel that didnt have any hope , but it just didnt pan out like that there was nothing that caught my eye , plus alot of rescues wont rehome with kids under a certain age , are local one wont anyway , i suppose i was been a tad picky aswell cause i was insistent on a fawn like casper my mates staffie i wanted a replica casper , or a red and white , altho martin told me i would never find another casper , which is true , albiet wiley isnt fawn LOL but he was just perfect i remember him running up to me and peeing all lover me and lookin at me as if to say take me away.

i think when you meet the dog you can tell if they have been trained or not , the two we looked at prior to wiley were just unruly , one at 4 years old and totally unruly needed one hell of alot of correction training she had only had him 8 weeks and had a behaviorist to him , and i wouldnt of dared have it with kids , the more the young girl spoke about him the more i thought dear god this dogs an accident waiting to happen , would of took him tho if i didnt have kids as he was a lovely dog , just ruined by idiots , and the other i think was goin to be an issue aswell , whereas wiley was just so good on his test walk that we went on, i could tell he had been trained
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm

I agree, Reuben was advertised in Gumtree. We did go down the rescue route but after a couple of disastrous meets ( Chloe was a bitch with other dogs) we decided we had to find a younger dog and there was nothing in rescue at around six months at the time.
The plan was to test her with a younger dog but when we met Reuben we fell for him instantly and was so glad that they seemed to get on OK. It was. It the case when he moved in but Chloe softened eventually
I would not hesitate in rescuing again when the time comes but we are lucky that we do not have young children so it has never been an issue in the past. All our dogs have been rescue with the exception of Reuben and they were older dogs and to be honest we did not have any issues and I would rescue older again

As for colour etc, we had an open mind and went with what suited our existed dog, I think when you already have a dog the dynamics change as it becomes more about the dogs gettingg on more than anything else

I can't understand why the lady with Staffies would put you off, I would never out any one off a staffie unless I thought it was not the right breed for them

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:42 am

I couldnt understand it either Jo , especially seeing as she recommeded a retriver , if she had recommded a toy dog i could understand it , as then i could of thought maybe she thinks i wont be able to cope with a staffie as they do say there not a first time dog owner dog , but a retriver would of been hardwork , the lady i know on the park with the one thats now 14 months , is very hardwork , she always comments how good wiley is as barney is just naughty in and outside

on the other hand tho theres been a couple of incidences where i have dreaded someone getting a staffie so im not completly offended by what she said ,  one was a now ex boyfreind of my eldests , he was attually my age but a right wally , he had 4 young kids single dad he come in here took one look at wiley and said ive got to get one of them when i get my own place (he was living with his parents with the 4 kids ) he then went onto say he had a staffie a while back and got rid as it turned nasty with the kids , i just thought nice one you have seen my dogs colour and you want one , then there's another one that someones just got on our local estate there not doggy walking ppl and she had drove past me a few times and stared at wiley , next thing i heard they have got a staffie pup . i have never seen this dog walked so thats another that i would of prefered not get one ,  i dunno why ppl have to get a dog just cause someone else has one , i admit casper inspired me to get one , but i looked after him and missed him terribly and knew before i got wiley what i was in for as casper gave me that insight ,  i wouldnt of got one without knowing what i was taking on

Yea i can imagine colour doesnt even come into it when your looking for a second dog , i dont think i would of been so colour orientatated if i hadnt of been trying to replicate casper

The rescue near us wont rehome any dogs with kids under 12 , my daughter was 10 at the time , but most of the staffies in that rescue have issues of one sort or another which is a shame
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Thu 04 Sep 2014, 1:26 pm

I would imagine most of these staffies have issues due to previous owners, sadly most people want a perfect dog now which even if you buy from a pup there are no guarantees. My freinds dog is proof of that

I would imagine if anyone else had rehomed Belle she may well be back in rescue by now. She was dirty on and off in the house for months and has had issues chewing but we deal with the good and the bad and sadly a lot of people just cant be bothered. They pass the dogs on and start again and its a continuous cycle

Our three previous rescues have had issues but nothing that could not be dealt with. My very first staffie chewed our house to pieces for the first three years of owning her but on the other hand she was such a lovely dog the kids used to knock on the door for her to play out on the close with them and she loved it. She was a stray from the dogs home. Jack was very nervous and became DA at the age of 9, we rehomed him at 7 years and his owner had gone into prison so no ida on what his life was like beforehand. Chloe was a stary from the dogs home and she hated other dogs, except the ones she lved with. She had a few health isues but all manageable. To be honest the biggest issue I have had to deal with is Reubens fear of noise as I just cannot get to the bottom of it and Reuben is the only non rescue dog, he was a private sale at 6 months old

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:16 pm

Yea im thinking the only reason wiley has been passed on was the peeing at first ? maybe previous owners shouted at him which im certain would of made it worse

The fact hes quite a sick dog through eating things he shouldnt could of also been an issue ? but like you say that kinda thing will of been a problem from a pup so even if i had got him from a pup he would of still been a scavenger , altho on that dog programme i think it was last week they said a dog that scavanges can be a dog thats been starved , but my mum had a scavenger from a pup

i think wiley is perfect but maybe other owners didnt , maybe they thought keeping him in a crate all the time , then when he got out and peed everywhere he was been naughty

i think sometimes rescue dogs have issues purly because therre in rescue aswell then they have to adapt to living in a house again , that GS on that dog programme that was spinning what a poor sole that was because it had been chained up all its life

What issues does your freinds dog have ?
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Thu 04 Sep 2014, 7:20 pm

I think Elsdon could have ended up with more owners, he was totally boisterous when we got him but changed his diet, took him training and was very firm with him (sometimes still am, but only because of cats and rabbits) and I wouldn't give him up ever now. He was hard work but so worth it. You can't give up on a dog after a couple of days, weeks or months.
Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Fri 05 Sep 2014, 7:20 pm

Aww he's such a gorgeous boy and yes, time really does fly. I'm sure you'll have many more happy years together. He's a lucky boy to have you.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:20 pm

Aww lovely pics! love
Enzo does that slide off the sofa too it's so funny!

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23424

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Sat 06 Sep 2014, 10:25 am

Awwwwww loving this post :)

Thank you for making Wiley a part of family and forever home.

May you have many endless hour's of fun together :)
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

Thankyou everyone , hes just such a lovable dog with everyone well apart from cats LOL, he has to say hello to everyone , he will run up to owners first and then say hello to there dogs , he's a funny dog he does make you laugh , i just dont know how anyone could of parted with him , maybe his first owners rehomed him cause they really had too , then hes just ended up with ppl wanting to breed from him , someone has took the time to train him , chip him , vacinate him  and as martin has told me he has been very well mixed because he's so good with other dogs , that doesnt strike me the type of person to just rehome , so maybe it really was a genuine reason then he just got into the wrong hands and was used as a stud dog then moved on when he served his purpose to the person i got him from and the person i got him from is a dog dealer  altho i didnt know that at the time :(

but i think sometimes they get to a certain age and owners get so they have had enough , my mums freind who have lost there staffy a few months back to old age , have just rehomed a blue 400 quid it cost them and shes 10 months , there excuse was her husband had got another job working away and she couldnt cope with the dog and a child with special needs , roxy has chewed quite abit at my mums freinds house so call me cynical but i think shes been rehomed cause they cant be arsed with the chewing , but shes in good hands now as my mums freind wont rehome i wouldnt of thought

Heres some more pics of wiley from the other day

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:22 pm

Great pics, is that local to you?

Get your Mum on here with piccies, would love to see her girl. There are reasons when people genuinely have to rehome their dogs through no fault of their own so this may have been the case with at least one of Wiley's owners as like you day someone has taken time to train him.

I'm currently trying to help my friends sister rehome her male staffie. She has cancer and can no longer cope with him and he is five years old. It's a sad rehome but sadly it will be better for the dog in the long run as she may get worse and he will be at the back of everyone's mind

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    Wed 10 Sep 2014, 10:03 am

yep thats lytham stannes beach , which is about 10 minutes walk from my house , its first time i have been on since that scare that there was something on there poisoning dogs , but i kept a close eye on him and stayed more on the sand dunes rather than the beach and the sea

Sorry to hear about your sisters freind, thats really sad and a genuine rehome :(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cant believe    

Back to top Go down

cant believe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat-
Jump to: