Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

fat dogs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: fat dogs    Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:35 am

I saw a staffie been walked at the weekend we passed it in the car so it wasnt anyone we knew , and im not kidding it could barly walk , how on earth do they get that big ? i struggle to keep weight on wiley but i do weight his food out , i know every dog is different just like us humans are with weight , but how on earth can a dog get that big and the owner not realise that there dog can barly walk , why hasnt a vet said anything ? it didnt really even resemble a staffie it was that fat
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: fat dogs    Tue 09 Sep 2014, 8:37 pm

Oh dear.
Let's hope that dog had just been rescued and is on a diet or something. At least it was being walked lol!

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31829

PostSubject: Re: fat dogs    Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:16 pm

Fat dogs, no need for it unless there is a medical condition. I think the issue is that people think it is kind to give their dogs food and endless treats and think a dog is happy and contented if it is well fed. My mother was a prime example of that and was often critical of me for Reuben being underweight.

It's much healthier for the dogs to be on the lean side rather than the large, especially in older age and I really do beleive that Chloe did so well with her ailments because she was lean.

As Sel said at least it was being walked so let's hope it's is on it's way to a healthier life

Back to top Go down
*lou*
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 520

PostSubject: Re: fat dogs    Wed 10 Sep 2014, 11:09 pm

I've noticed Daisy has started to gain weight more easily now, think that's due to her age and I have taken steps to make sure she does not become over weight. I'd never want that. It's just cruel.

Cody can't keep the weight on so I've no worries there!

I do hate seeing dogs that are so big they have trouble walking. Can't be nice for them.
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: fat dogs    Thu 11 Sep 2014, 7:32 pm

Wiley is the same Lou , really struggle to keep his weight on

One of my mums pet hate is ppl feeding her dog on the parks , as my mum is very strict with her dogs diet so she doesnt get fat and ppl insist on stuffin treats down her, she doesnt bpother too much now as shes old and got a liver problem and shes looking abit thin , but when she was younger my mum hated it cause then she had to cut her food down at night to compensate

Wiley gets treats off the odd dog walker , theres one guy that treats him everytime we see him , but we dont tend to stuff him with food all the time he doesnt get scraps , the only thing he gets is treats if hes been good on the park and behaved , or if im cooking i give him a carrot , and if im grating cheese i give him a bit of cheese as he loves cheese , but he gets nothing else , the kids are under strict instructions not to feed him aswell , cause he does have a sensative tum and cant stomach alot of human food , but compared to alot of dogs in general he is skinny and i think ppl arent used to seeing a skinny dog , i have to confess when i got him i thought he was underweight as im used to seeing not really fat staffies but staffies that are overweight , and with wiley been on the tall side aswell stand him next too a shorter legged one thats carrying a few pounds he looks lanky LOL

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: fat dogs    

Back to top Go down

fat dogs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1