Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

wiley scared me tonight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: wiley scared me tonight    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm

Hello

Wiley has really scared me tonight , my daughter came round for the first time with her new baby , we did the blanket thing beforehand but wiley really wasnt interested in the blanket at all , apart from an initial sniff then he was bored

So wiley was trying to see what was in the pram , i told him nicly but firmly not to jump up , after about an hour tasha took baby out of the pram and wiley just changed , he scared the hell out of me , his eyes went bloodshot red and he was trying to get to the baby in her arms , so i put him on a lead so i had control of him and tried to carmly talk to him , the last time his eyes went like that were at the vets when he had his jabs and the vet said it was cause he had got himself into such a state , with sitting there with him on a lead i felt i had made him think he was goin for a walk so when jason came home he took him for a quick walk

I honestly didnt dare let go of him , we kinda let him get close but not enough to touch so he could sniff the baby , i was a nervous wreck i wont deny it and tasha thinks i may of gave off that to wiley which could of made him worse , but with all the dog attacks latly can you blame me

Jason then came home and after he had taken wiley for the walk with wiley still on a lead i got jason to hold the baby and wiley seemed better then ? i then sort of felt more relaxed and let wiley go off his lead but made sure he didnt get too close , tasha made a real fuss of him and played tug with him all the time jason was holding the baby , he seemed to then relax and kinda went back to his normal self rolling on the floor etc but goin over to the baby for a look , we let him get close enough to sniff babys's feet and then he gave a lick to babys feet

Tashas mother in law arrived to collect them , she made a real fuss of wiley and he was fine , his normal daft self

When they were leaving wiley wanted to go with them in the car , i know i will never ever be able to turn my back when there here , lukily they dont come very often , but tasha wants to come boxing day and in all honesty im not keen , but i thought of maybe her coming once a week on the run upto xmas to try and get wiley used to having the baby around ?

I really dont want to resort to segregation or crating as wileys not used to been crated here . altho he is crate trained i would feel it was a punishment for him and may make him resent the baby even more , if needs be she will have to never bring the baby again , but i really would like it if she could bring him and we could feel safe with us all in the same room , i felt tonight when she first got baby out that if something bad was to happen we wouldnt of stopped it intime , hence i now think that alot of attacks on babies small children etc arent nessarily left alone, that it could happen when your there

Any advice greatly appriecieted
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31892

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Mon 24 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm

I think you need to gradually introduce him to the baby, good idea to get her to come round every week and maybe take the baby and Wiley for a walk together.

The first time Reuben met my niece he was very OTT with her and was jumping up at here whilst I had her in my arms. He also tried to take her socks off her feet which is something he has never done with anyone before. He is too giddy for babies and toddlers so we do have to segregate them although my sister does not bring the little ones around that often so it's not such a big deal when she does.

Is this the first time Wiley had come across any baby do you know?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:07 am

He was probably only trying to get to the baby for a sniff and got worked up because he wondered what everyone was looking at/what the big deal was (the baby). The babies scent may have been something new and he would of been very interested.
I wouldn't segregate him, I think that's the worst thing you could do. Not allowing him to get near will make him even more interested. Just make it as normal as possible for him. But make sure he is calm before he is allowed to sniff the baby.
I would let him smell your hands after you've held the baby too.
If wiley is worked up try massaging his shoulders, the muscle above his front legs below his neck, this always works on enz.
Enzo always gets over excited when my nieces visit because everyone else is high pitched voices cooing over the youngest and all chatty and noisy. After a while he calms down.
I did exactly the same as you when Enzo first met my niece when she was a baby and I kept him on lead in the house. He only wanted to say hello to my brother but I kept him away and it made him worse. He would be pulling like a trooper scrambling for grip in the living room it was ridiculous. There is probably a post in here somewhere when I was asking for advise too, I'll see if I can find it.

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 12:10 am

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:34 am

Staffylover wrote:
I think you need to gradually introduce him to the baby, good idea to get her to come round every week and maybe take the baby and Wiley for a walk together.

The first time Reuben met my niece he was very OTT with her and was jumping up at here whilst I had her in my arms. He also tried to take her socks off her feet which is something he has never done with anyone before. He is too giddy for babies and toddlers so we do have to segregate them although my sister does not bring the little ones around that often so it's not such a big deal when she does.

Is this the first time Wiley had come across any baby do you know?

Hi Jo

Yes i think thats goin to be our first thing introducing baby slowly , i spoke to a chap this morning on the park who i know quite well and hes an ex police dog trainer and he said gradually bringing baby in every week , he said wiley would nt of known what the hell it was and may of even seen him as prey , he just said be very carefull and never ever allow him to be alone which obviously i wouldnt do

As far as i know wiley hasnt seen a baby before, but ive got alsorts flying through my head now , when i got into bed last night wiley wouldnt settle , normally he comes upstairs tries it on and tries to sleep on our bed , i always give him a cuddle and tell him right bedtime go down get in your bed and he always does . last night he wouldnt he went down stairs then came straight back up again crying at out bedroom door , hes never done that

So i thought what if he's been rehomed at some point because of a new baby , if he's reacted like this maybe one of the 3 owners thats owned him before me could of thought i can't cope with this and rehomed him which would then make wiley worse with babies , maybe not but with not having a history on him i will never know

He likes young kids tho , but ive never brought any young kids into our home , but outside the home he tends to like small children

Tbh when she told me she was pregnant i was livid for one reason or another , but one main reason was because of wiley , we had got him cause our children had grown up well youngest 12 , then she goes and drops a bombshell like that , i honestly dont like the responsability of small kids babies and dogs

If it was my baby then i would of had to of make changes in my life whilst pregant with wiley as in segrgation and crating as thats what they say to do , make changes while pregant and make sure the dog can only go in certain rooms , but i dont like crates and wiley has the run of the whole house and the chances of me getting pregant were very slim ie hubby had the snip 20 years ago hence why i got a dog

My freinds daughter has also had a baby 5 weeks before my daughter had hers and my daughter is freinds with her daughter and she was saying that jess has locked the dog away from the baby its not allowed anywhere near , im wondering if her dog has reacted like wiley and she's panicked , its an akita so a big dog too , whereas tasha has her JRT quite near the baby , im not keen i think she has him too close but he doesnt seem anything like wiley near him
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:38 am

StaffySel wrote:
He was probably only trying to get to the baby for a sniff and got worked up because he wondered what everyone was looking at/what the big deal was (the baby). The babies scent may have been something new and he would of been very interested.
I wouldn't segregate him, I think that's the worst thing you could do.  Not allowing him to get near will make him even more interested. Just make it as normal as possible for him. But make sure he is calm before he is allowed to sniff the baby.
I would let him smell your hands after you've held the baby too.
If wiley  is worked up try massaging his shoulders, the muscle above his front legs below his neck, this  always works on enz.
Enzo always gets over excited when my nieces visit because everyone else is high pitched voices cooing over the youngest and all chatty and noisy. After a while he calms down.
I did exactly the same as you when Enzo first met my niece when she was a baby and I kept him on lead in the house.  He only wanted to say hello to my brother but I kept him away and it made him worse. He would be pulling like a trooper scrambling for grip in the living room it was ridiculous. There is probably a post in here somewhere when I was asking for advise too, I'll see if I can find it.

Hi Sel

I wont segregate as this is his home , nor do i really want to get the crate out , i know if i get the crate out he will go in it without a problem cause he lived in a crate before i got him , but it would feel to much like punishment , we will try and percievere , but if it fails she will not have to come round , that sounds terrible but wiley was here before the baby i honestly never thought i would be in this situation as the pregnancy was a complete accident
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:38 am

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2354

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Tue 25 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

I think it's very hard for dogs which aren't used to babies, we found the hardest part was the crawling stage & luckily she didn't crawl for long. Quattro has always had contact with older kids from around 6 plus so when a Baby came along it was a shock for him & I was so worried when I brought her home as I didn't want him stressing out. He's fine with her but think he'll be happier once she's a little older as he loves my nephews and niece. He's very gentle with her which is great but it all takes time. Great idea having them visit once a week
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

Has Wiley seen baby since Mandy?

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:39 pm

No she was supposed to come today but dyed her hair and it went wrong this morning lol so she said she werent coming cause i would laugh
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:41 pm

Lol, I think a few of us many have done that in years gone by. I know I have!

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 8:57 pm

LOL i have when i was at school but not at her age , she's done it loads of times i get so mad with her as she had lovely hair and its not the same as it used to be through perminent dying , but when she got pregnant she was warned not to touch it by our hairdresser as it goes wrong when your pregant or doesnt take right , so her hair went lovely probebely the first time since she was 14 since its been that nice and natural , so now she's had the baby she's back to dying it and its gone wrong cause shes only just had a baby , she's put 3 flaming dyes on it today , and bleached it , it started off ginger with black ends as the ends wouldnt take thats because she's just had a baby , then she bleached it and now its bright red and goes darker towards the bottom , she's a fool cause if she's anything like me that hair will start to drop out in a few months due to hormonal changes , mine fell out quite bad after my pregnancies and its all quite normal to do so , so its best to keep your hair at its best untill your body is back to normal

I am guilty of dying mine quite alot in my twenties early thirties as i hate my hair colour , but i only used semi's she used perminents and uses them xxl ones which are strong , but i got scared due to afew ppl on the news having bad reactions after long term dye usage , and i havent died it now for years and its alot better now i dont
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 9:22 pm

I've dyed mine for years but my sister tends to do it as she is a hair dresser. We did have a bit of a disaster a few years ago where I had red and blond tiger stripes and when I washed my hair it went pink but she soon rectified it

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 30 Nov 2014, 9:51 pm

Staffylover wrote:
I've dyed mine for years but my sister tends to do it as she is a hair dresser. We did have a bit of a disaster a few years ago where I had red and blond tiger stripes and when I washed my hair it went pink but she soon rectified it

Yes i think if i was ever goin to dye again i would use a hairdresser its so much safer , home dying is very dicey , once i read about the lass from i think yorkshire dying from a bad reaction it really made me think not to bother again at home , i think once i start to go grey i would then start again dying it
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 07 Dec 2014, 1:36 pm

Baby's here and Wiley doesn't seem as bothered , I think i may of made it worse last time with Putin him on the lead , he's had a few sniffs but not as bothered as last time
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 07 Dec 2014, 7:28 pm

Yay, that's great news

Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Sun 07 Dec 2014, 7:36 pm

he even got a sneaky lick of rileys face too , got abit too close and i had to call him away , but at least he's just curious , he did start to sit by the pram at certain times
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Mon 29 Dec 2014, 11:40 am

i took some pics on boxing day , wileys taken a fancy to my daughters boyfreind and wont leave him alone

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    Mon 29 Dec 2014, 4:25 pm

Great pics and nice to see Wiley settled with the baby

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wiley scared me tonight    

Back to top Go down