Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Dead animal collection.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 872

PostSubject: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 4:43 am

Jo raised an interesting question for me a few days ago. She said that if cats (animals) get run over & the council collects them they are not scanned for the owner to be notified.

I would be horrified if any of my clan came to this end!

So... I made a call to my council. Seems they only check for a chip if the animal is  fully intact. As most rangers do not carry scanners they also do not check every animal.

So I made another call.....to my local elected member!  Well blow me down.... he actually answered his mob!

Nice bloke! He listened, asked questions, we joked, (have I microchipped my OH?) ha ha
For the rates I pay, god forbid one of mine got out & was killed... I would expect to be notified. Better knowing a bad result than just never knowing.
He was quite understanding, he to has a dog, he has a spaniel.
I asked (jokingly) ... yeah, you are listening but is this just political yeah, yeah, & you do nothing? He said "NO! I will get an answer, omg see if we can improve the process & I'll call you back within 5-7 days"

I actually "kind of" believe him but, well see! fingers crossed

Jo, thanks for raising the question in my mind. Something thats very important but I hadn't ever thought about. good job
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 6:21 am

Wow, well done you. Someone local to me (I dont know them) lost their GSD some time before Xmas and despite searching for weeks there was no sighting of his boy, who was also chipped.
It turns out that not long after he went missing a dog of his description was involved in a fatal road traffic accident, and was duly collected by the council.
By the time the owner found out about this weeks had passed so they no longer had the body, nor had they scanned him to see if he was chipped.

The owner has now made the assumption that this was his boy but will never know for sure

Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 12:22 pm

That is just awful! My thoughts go to them... I could not imagine not knowing. blow kiss

I will see what my council member says... I am thinking about somehow doing a drive to raise funds so all rangers can be equiped with a scanner. This issue bothers me terribly & it shouldnt be this way.

Though I will probably not succeed I am thinking about how I could do it?
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3722

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 6:11 pm

sad but good thread this , very good point jo , id be gutted if this happened to Alfie or charlie & we didn't know where or what happened to them

great work tracy , please please keep us posted on how you get on
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2354

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 7:38 pm

There's lots of petitons on Facebook at the mo regarding this so please try & sign if you haven't already
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm

I'm waiting to see what my council member says.
I'm also thinking & wondering about a spot on the council's website for people to donate to get the scanners.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31891

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   Tue 10 Feb 2015, 11:27 pm

Good idea x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dead animal collection.   

Back to top Go down

Dead animal collection.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1