Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 872

PostSubject: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:43 am

Excerpt from Harveys law post by Jo.

tracyp wrote:
threadhijacked
I PUT MY NOTE DOWN & I ACTUALLY JUST CALLED MY COUNCIL MEMBER RIGHT THEN! ( I really should think before I act lately but, I'd thought last week, he hasn't rung me back, typical polly.)
I said its tracy, we spoke a month ago... he said, wait.. dont tell me... pet chip scanning of the injured or deceased! He not only remembered but had spoken to council. I actually believe a politician.  no way
He said (Gary) I couldn't work out which no was yours in my phone to call you back. I get so many calls. Fair comment / excuse.

OMG! Chatting away....The man is completely ignorant of microchip registries & procedures. & he has a litte dog!

Credit where credit is due...I actually believe he did take it to council but...the man thought if you get a dog, you are registered on our chip registry, end of story, ( 2 main comps actually but both talk to one another, if you list on one the other can find you in 2 secs, the others need to search for the chip no but will find you if they look.).... but if you move? he asked, how would they know? whistle

Because just as when you move house you tell the elec comp to switch it... or let the bank know your new address, you get a new mob no, don't you tell your family & friends..... when you move you tell the dog registry where your dog lives now or if there is a new mob contact for them to retur him, her, them! banghead

Anyway, as nice a man as he seems (confidant, polite, friendly, understanding, listening, someone I'd enjoy a chat with at a bbq, a great bloke, we had a joke, laugh, talked serious, etc)..even though being uninformed on dog registries & chips..he is actually going to council to see if they can afford 4 scanners in each office in our four districts. YEAH! bigyay

Jo, I can't thank you enough for raising this question for me about a month ago & am actually alittle proud of myself for starting the conversation/action here within the council. Lets hope the council approves scanners, they are only about $60 ea! Scanning every animal may just become law here next yr if all goes well. But... there is the local council to get past, even though today I am hopefull.

If the worst were to happen to mine... I would still want to know, no matter what... & I think every owner would... not knowing is just awful.
group hug

I'm right now thinking about a door knock, to get a petition together to send to council from local dog owners.

I hope Harveys law spreads like a bush fire.
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Thu 12 Mar 2015, 12:56 am

Not believing that Gary (councilor) would ring with good news....as it won't go anywhere by just me pushing it, I need backing /a petition from the community to scare councilors that they may not be elected again.

In my sheer disbelief!!!...he called me this morn. He met with his fellow councilors a day ago.

They approved for each of the two animal recovery vehicles in my district to have scanners issued & to change the local law so that every deceased animal will now be scanned & the owner will be notified where possible if chip details are current & if animals are in a deceased condition that allows a scan. (Sorry, but that is a reality). bigyay bigyay

I am both so happy & pleased with myself.  woot  I never thought I'd get it passed so soon! My councilor really seems to have pulled the....you have a dog, wouldnt you want to know card! In only 2 days after the meeting they have been issued. I thought next fin yr was ....possible?

No fines for strays or securing a property would be issued unless the animal / owner had been fined before. No cost for the cermation of the animal will be charged to the owner & a deceased pets owner could claim the body within 48hrs of notification.

I rang our local paper... a polly that says & actually acts on his words! He deserves our community to know. They are hopefully going to print an article on his actions.

All in all an excellent outcome.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31832

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Thu 12 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

Congrats

Yay well done, that's fantastic news and a massive achievement for your community. Well done you xx

Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 3:34 am

It is excellent isn't it Jo.   ta
I'm still riding a high of both happyness & bisbelief that it's actually come to fruition! How the hell did it happen so quickly?     I trully am in shock, shaking my head at myself. I have never done anything like this before, going to my council demanding better from them, But, I pay my rates & taxes...so I both want & have paid to know if something happens to my babies!

People power  woot ... it trully is true, one person (well 2-10, Gary did the hard work getting all the council members to agree.) CAN make a change. He has my vote in the next election. He wants to fix a (huge problem) road here, more cops, better lighting in the park opposite me, youth group activities..... blah, blah, blah. I've been following him for awhile now, which is why I chose him to call & not his opposition.

So... Most people where i live read our local paper far more thoroughly than the state run paper ( I live in both the largest & fastest growing municipality in Victoria) as it's obviously more relevant info to their daily life. (I assume you have both local & state papers there to?)

Bridget (a local newspaper reporter) called me back. She'd spoken to Gary & is going to print the story. Everyone will now know now that they will be notified if their pet is found deceased & is chipped.

She wanted a pic with me & the dogs but.... I don't want to be in the paper so... I gave her this to use.

The article will be in one of the next two weekly issues.

Yeah puppies! We did it!
In my wildest dreams I never thought it would happen, & certainly not this quickly!
bigyay bigyay bigyay bigyay bigyay

Last edited by tracyp on Sat 14 Mar 2015, 4:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 4:36 am

Jo, I hope you take great pride & tell everyone....

You were the 1st step in changing an Australian local council law.
good job Loads of Love group hug
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 8:13 am

Your two babies will be famous x

Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm

Na... everyone here knows my dogs but, You may be! I did tel her it all started from speaking to a lady in the UK that sparked my interest in what out laws/procedures were.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   Sat 14 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm

spinner smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!   

Back to top Go down

Deceased animal scanning. I got it passed council!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1