Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

hello from brighton

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:32 am

I like that though the strictness of the rules, it must stop a lot of issues. I just want to get a farm so I can get some horses to. I'm sure your not that old, my last three homes have been a no animals at all type of place, not for me, I need my animals
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31924

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:53 am

staffsky owner wrote:
Ah see that's how Olaf it's but gets miss judged because of his over excitedness to play, where belle or Reuben ever like that? We aren't sure if Olaf had a bad time with his last owners or not either in all honesty

They have never been misjudged as such. Reuben has a circle of doggie friends that he is very comfortable with, whereas belle is comfortable with anything. However as belle thinks she is ten times bigger than she is she prefers to play with bigger dogs and can be a little overwhelming for smaller dogs unless it is something like a JRT that has a bit more rough and readiness about it. At training some of the smaller 'designer' type dogs would not play with her, in fact one of the shitzus was always picked up at playtime before classes started

Belle is Staffy x JRT we believe but very Staffy in her behaviours and looks etc and is also very powerful for her size. She can quite easily pull Reuben across the floor when they are playing tuggy and there is 6kg difference between them

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 7:11 am

That's good that they have never been miss judged, I'm beginging to wonder if it's just people who see a staffy type dog and instantly think oh that must be aggressive, there has been one woman who stopped with her dog and Olaf sniffed it and calmed straight down. I have to say JRT X must be a tough cookie, both being strong breeds and that
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 872

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 4:40 pm

staffsky owner wrote:
I like that though the strictness of the rules, it must stop a lot of issues. I just want to get a farm so I can get some horses to. I'm sure your not that old, my last three homes have been a no animals at all type of place, not for me, I need my animals

It is good in many respects. But... I can't take in animals that need a safe home either.  Even though I could give them a warm, loving house, I am not allowed.

I can't live without animals in my life! good post
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 4:48 pm

My Jess is & has always been misjudged before anyone actually lets themselves know her, she is the most gentle dog, huggy dog with every dog, creature or person. ( mice excluded.) ha ha
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:13 pm

It's true I love my animals, I don't see how people don't. Yeah it's really annoying when people get all judgy before they even know the dog. So how come you can't adopt a pet ? Is it because you have the limit of animals already?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:16 pm

I'm on a couple of staffie FB pages and I am amazed at the number of people who get abuse about their dogs, some of it I find hard to believe that people would be so personal to a stranger

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:21 pm

staffsky owner wrote:
That's good that they have never been miss judged, I'm beginging to wonder if it's just people who see a staffy type dog and instantly think oh that must be aggressive,  there has been one woman who stopped with her dog and Olaf sniffed it and calmed straight down. I have to say JRT X must be a tough cookie, both being strong breeds and that

I must admit I have a fondness of Jack Russell's but hubby is not keen and I did say I would like one as a second dog. However when belle came up she seemed perfect, she was initially a foster placement but once she was here we knew she would not go

She definately has the strength of a staffie and is quite musular but she has endless energy and a very high chase instinct. She will chas anything that moves apart from geese

but she is fantastic with every dog she meets, she is also now getting a lot more interactive it's people when she is out (she was very nervous of people when we got her)

The only down side is she and the cat have a mutual hate of each other and cannot be left together as they will fight and neither backs down. Reuben is more intelligent and gives the cat a wide berth spinner smile

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:33 pm

I have to say Jacks are amazing characters. But yes they do want to chase everything, I bet she can be a right hand full can't she? Olaf is fine with people unless they have good up or a hat on, dogs he just wants to jump all over and play, but he has a habbit of chasing birds no matter what size. That's brilliant Reuben knows cats aren't to be messed with haha, my old dog used to get beaten up by my rabbits and cats.
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:41 pm

staffsky owner wrote:
It's true I love my animals, I don't see how people don't. Yeah it's really annoying when people get all judgy before they even know the dog. So how come you can't adopt a pet ? Is it because you have the limit of animals already?

People steer clear of us when walking often, unless they also have a staff or... shep, dobe, rott, bullie, etc

Jess is a dobe x staff. She is a chunky tan (red in staffys term) dobe. Even I would watch as I patted her if i didnt know her.
To prove her gentleness, my neighbours chihuahua x ??? Mini Daushhound? Long foxie? Stays here sometimes. They all love eachother.

I can't adopt a dog as we can only have two. (Which I already do).

Last edited by tracyp on Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 6:46 pm

It's really annoying isn't? I don't really shy away from dogs unless they show me aggression. Ah ok, I looked at adopting but couldn't as I live in a flat and don't have a garden despite living accros the road from a park and less then five minutes walk from the beach
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 9:34 pm

It's madness isn't it, rescues are happy for a dog to remain in a kennel rather than a flat with loving owners and regular walks.

When we got out first dog we both worked full time, but she was a rescue from the kennels and in mind spending the day in our sofa was better than spending it in a kennel in a stressful environment. We made sure she always came out with us if we went out at night or weekends and if I had to work on a Saturday she used to go to my sisters.

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 9:44 pm

That's it isn't it, why not let a dog go to a loving home if it's going to be well looked after etc, Olaf goes out at least round the clock 4 times a day and weekends down the beach out the park and he lives in a flat
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Fri 05 Jun 2015, 9:44 pm

Just shows the mentality of the kennels doesn't it
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:12 pm

So just a quick update Olaf has been Down the beach again and decided to carry a house brick round unroll he saw another dog and got to excited, I have tried all sorts to stop him bouncing all over to no avail, he ignores his favourite toys when he is that excited and ignores treats, what do I do?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Sun 07 Jun 2015, 5:52 pm

Do you know anyone with an older dog that could teach him a few manners?

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Sun 07 Jun 2015, 8:16 pm

Unfortunately not, the only other person I know with a dog is down the road but his dog is a nut case, I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try him at obedience training, thing is I know he will go mad with all the other dogs around
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Sun 07 Jun 2015, 9:00 pm

I think it will help and the trainer will give you support. You may find a calming influence there too

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   Sun 07 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

Yeah I guess your right, I don't find it that stressful as much as annoying, not for me but for Olaf as people instantly assume the worst then he gets the shitty end of the stick. On a lighter note when he was off the lead on the beach he ran over to another dog got half way there and looked at me as if to say can I go? So I watched him didn't say anything but he just sniffed and came back so I'm wondering if more off the lead introductions would help his on the lead skills
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello from brighton   

Back to top Go down

hello from brighton
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Welcome Zone for New Members :: New Members Lounge-
Jump to: