Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

tynes aggression step by step

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1603

PostSubject: tynes aggression step by step   Fri 05 Mar 2010, 11:04 pm

mattie i'll try my best 2 explain how tyne is and what sets him away and how he behaves. here goes......

when any1 comes to the door he jumps off the larger sofa and pounces on the smaller 1 by the window he nearly headbutts the window. his tail is upright ears forward eyes fixed and barks and growls. when i try to get him away from the window he turns his head quickly, tries to snack at me then continues to bark and growl. i have tried to overcome this by having a lead handy and clipping it on and removing him from the room. he used to kick and scream and try to snack but now he doesnt or should i say hasn't for a few weeks.

when people come unexpectedly the same. i do try to keep the door closed so he cant go to the door but at times he headbutts my legs and sometimes passes through then the lead comes out. my brother came the other day unexpectedly, he forgot to let me know he was on his way and i hadn't closed the door properly. he got out and as my brother knocks and walks in i didnt have time to get the lead on him and he was barking and trying to snack at him. i got the lead and put him in his cage so he could calm down. my brother though he was just playing but i know different as again his tail was upright ears pricked and was totally ignoring commands. i have reminded my bro to let me know when hes leaving as i lock the dogs away and then let them out when they settle. its something i have always done.

u know about him snacking at the child next door through the window.

sometimes when we say sit he barks as if hes answering us back. i must admit we used to laugh at it thinking how cheeky theres my mistake not nipping it in the bud.

when one of us either gordon or i go to leave the house he jumps up and catches the cuffs of our coats and wont let go. he then tends to nip us. he usually barks but not in an agressive way more playful. then when we say NO TYNE he lets go but continues to jump and we have to basically slip through the smallest gap in the door to leave as he again headbutts our legs to get through.

i have to let him out separate as if hes out 1st he turns on the other dogs. he has a look that ive learned to recognise as his im going to do it look and learned that its easier to let him out solo. when he has in the past turned on demi he turns round sharply and growls then bites her of course she reacts and i have to shout oi no to stop it.

at the min this is all i can think of but i'll have a think as im sure there is more.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 11:22 am

when you say snack do you mean snap :)) ?

one trick you could do is to write down what he does as he does it :)) and what was going on at the time over the weeks if you do this you will see a pattern which will help you see what is oging on and might even give you an insight to the causes :))
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 2:26 pm

i mean he goes to bite/snack at us. this doesnt happen as often as it did but at the min with demi in heat and she must be at the height of it as hes off his food and stays by the kitchen door as shes in there, i asked him to move yesterday and he growled at mehowever he was put on the lead and put in his cage to give him a break b4 i walked him. i think the main cause is breach of the peace if u know what i mean, some1 at the door, passin the window etc all of which is a cause i have no control over initally
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 4:12 pm

kirstie wrote:
mattie i'll try my best 2 explain how tyne is and what sets him away and how he behaves. here goes......

when any1 comes to the door he jumps off the larger sofa and pounces on the smaller 1 by the window he nearly headbutts the window. his tail is upright ears forward eyes fixed and barks and growls. when i try to get him away from the window he turns his head quickly, tries to snack at me then continues to bark and growl. i have tried to overcome this by having a lead handy and clipping it on and removing him from the room. he used to kick and scream and try to snack but now he doesnt or should i say hasn't for a few weeks.

The lead should already be on him Kirsty, if you clip the lead on before removing him it will have a different meaning to him and may start him to think that nasty things happen when you clip the lead on. You just need enough to be able to pick it up and lead him away and should be on all the time you are in the house with him. You just lead him away and give him something else to do like sit, or down. Always replace a behaviour you don't want with something that you do.

Can you move the small sofa? You can always put something on the window so he can't see out, you can get something that looks like frosted glass. If he can't see out this behaviour will go.

Quote :
when people come unexpectedly the same. i do try to keep the door closed so he cant go to the door but at times he headbutts my legs and sometimes passes through then the lead comes out. my brother came the other day unexpectedly, he forgot to let me know he was on his way and i hadn't closed the door properly. he got out and as my brother knocks and walks in i didnt have time to get the lead on him and he was barking and trying to snack at him. i got the lead and put him in his cage so he could calm down. my brother though he was just playing but i know different as again his tail was upright ears pricked and was totally ignoring commands. i have reminded my bro to let me know when hes leaving as i lock the dogs away and then let them out when they settle. its something i have always done.

The lead should already be on him, putting him in his cage isn't a good idea either, to him it is punishment which you don't want his cage to become.

I have babygates in quite a few doorways, I find them much easier to control my dogs if I go through a gate than the door, the opening is narrower and they can't barge through the same. I also expect good manners, any barging and they are sent back and put into a sit and wait, I then walk through and call them. If you have freecycle you can ask for these.

Quote :
sometimes when we say sit he barks as if hes answering us back. i must admit we used to laugh at it thinking how cheeky theres my mistake not nipping it in the bud.

Depends on how it is done, Bonnie does it but she is communicating, talking to me, I am happy to accept this but if she was aggressive then I wouldn't. Can you let me know more information on this please? Why are you asking him to sit? What is he doing when you ask him to sit etc?

Quote :
when one of us either gordon or i go to leave the house he jumps up and catches the cuffs of our coats and wont let go. he then tends to nip us. he usually barks but not in an agressive way more playful. then when we say NO TYNE he lets go but continues to jump and we have to basically slip through the smallest gap in the door to leave as he again headbutts our legs to get through.

He shouldn't be in a position to act like this, put him behind a door or gate so you can go out in safety.

Quote :
i have to let him out separate as if hes out 1st he turns on the other dogs. he has a look that ive learned to recognise as his im going to do it look and learned that its easier to let him out solo. when he has in the past turned on demi he turns round sharply and growls then bites her of course she reacts and i have to shout oi no to stop it.

You are managing him with this, it will probably go eventually.

Quote :
at the min this is all i can think of but i'll have a think as im sure there is more.

Put them up when you remember.

These are all problems that need managing, the better the management the better Tyne will become, he will learn from this management on how to behave. You are putting him in the position were he is going to succeed, by not managing him you are leaving him open to fail and this behaviour will get worse.

Dogs learn a lot from good management, I dog that lived next door was always walking on an extending lead mornings and had off lead run afternoons. The morning walk was down a narrow country lane ane the owner didn't have the confidence to let her off. After she had been doing this for about 3 years, I got her to unclip the lead, her dog walked in front of her at the same distance she did when on the extending lead, this never changed, for the rest of her life she walked like this off the lead. ROFL
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 4:41 pm

when i ask tyne to sit its always with a treat and usually so my hubby can get out of the room. usually he blatently ignores me and carrys on with what he wants. when i askhim to sit for a treat this is when he barks, the bark he gives is what i call his cheeky bark. i think i will start and ask gordon when hes going out not to come in the sitting room with his coat on then tyne will not know hes ready to leave the house.

i've tried having a lead already clipped on and he chewed it and it was only literally a handle 1. the sittin room window is 10ft wide 2 big if u ask me, and unfortunatly i cant move the sofa as we've got 3 the only way i could do that is by parting with 1 and they r only a year old so im not really wanting to, but may have to.

i find that when i do clip a lead on him when he's showing aggression he's calmer and i stay in the room with him for a few minutes and then leave. we've tried the baby gates with our other dogs and they just jumped over them so we gave it to my mam for her dog. i think i may invest in a dog 1 that way he'l have to jump further to try and clear it.

when people come in unexpectedly i always have treats in my pocket and when hes in the cage i reward him pet him and say good boy once hes settled i let him out but since his snacking at my brother im wary to do this.

when he barges through hes so determined to get where he wants he doesnt sit for me and when i say no he begins barking in a more aggressive way as if hes saying yes i am bugger you. im going to work on his sit and stay but he just doesnt seem to listen to commands when hes wanting to get somewhere wether i have treats or not. i am hopeful that he will start to listen and focus on me rather than what he wants. i know this is going to take time.

another problem is when rocky is in the same room and some1 walks past the window and house tyne barks and then turns and has a go at rocky he has done this since we got him i say tyne no in a firm voice and usually he stops in his tracks i dont know if this is progress or not?
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 6:05 pm

kirstie wrote:
when i ask tyne to sit its always with a treat and usually so my hubby can get out of the room. usually he blatently ignores me and carrys on with what he wants. when i askhim to sit for a treat this is when he barks, the bark he gives is what i call his cheeky bark. i think i will start and ask gordon when hes going out not to come in the sitting room with his coat on then tyne will not know hes ready to leave the house.

That sounds a good idea, hubby not going into the sitting room with his coat on. Tyne isn't learning anything at the moment

Quote :
i've tried having a lead already clipped on and he chewed it and it was only literally a handle 1. the sittin room window is 10ft wide 2 big if u ask me, and unfortunatly i cant move the sofa as we've got 3 the only way i could do that is by parting with 1 and they r only a year old so im not really wanting to, but may have to.

Get something from a DIY shop to make the lower part of the window frosted, this will be cheaper and can be removed later when he isn't doing this. Dogs will only do what works, if he can't see out he will eventually stop doing this. This is a better way to stop a dog, the dog makes the decision himself. You do have to be careful you don't remove this too early or it will start again and be harder to stop.

Staffies are notorious for chewing leads so this doesn't surprise me, try a chain instead bounce

Quote :
i find that when i do clip a lead on him when he's showing aggression he's calmer and i stay in the room with him for a few minutes and then leave. we've tried the baby gates with our other dogs and they just jumped over them so we gave it to my mam for her dog. i think i may invest in a dog 1 that way he'l have to jump further to try and clear it.

Just because your other dogs jumped the gate doesn't mean Tyne will, if you can get a baby gate to try that would be best, if he does jump it you can either put another gate on top or use a dog gate.

Quote :
when people come in unexpectedly i always have treats in my pocket and when hes in the cage i reward him pet him and say good boy once hes settled i let him out but since his snacking at my brother im wary to do this.

This works better if he is behind a gate and can see the people coming in, he can be rewarded for being good.

Quote :
when he barges through hes so determined to get where he wants he doesnt sit for me and when i say no he begins barking in a more aggressive way as if hes saying yes i am bugger you. im going to work on his sit and stay but he just doesnt seem to listen to commands when hes wanting to get somewhere wether i have treats or not. i am hopeful that he will start to listen and focus on me rather than what he wants. i know this is going to take time.

You are in charge of the door not Tyne, if he goes to barge through close the door fast, if he runs into the door his head can take it. He will be close to the door he won't get up the speed to cause him harm. You will need to work on this by pretending you are going out. Once he stops barging you can reward him.

Quote :
another problem is when rocky is in the same room and some1 walks past the window and house tyne barks and then turns and has a go at rocky he has done this since we got him i say tyne no in a firm voice and usually he stops in his tracks i dont know if this is progress or not?

Another reason to make the glass look frosted, he won't be able to see people walking past so won't attack Rocky. It is better for him not to get the chance to do it than to stop him as he starts.

You are doing well, keep it up and you will get there. Tyne will teach you a lot about dogs and is how I learnt.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 6:18 pm

The fact that he is snapping at you is not a good thing at all, In my opinion that could turn very nasty very quickly.

I had a behaviourist around today and she suggested that it could very well be hormone related with daisy her aggression towards other dogs which is fair enough but she has never been aggressive with me.

Maybe ask the vet to check its not a nurelogical issue (spelling), because no dog is normally aggressive with their owner not like he is.
Back to top Go down
kirstie
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 6:23 pm

i know 1 thing he defo is teaching me alot more than i ever thought ive had it easy with the others i guess as they are no bother at alland i took it badly when tyne wasnt like them i knew hed b different but not to this extent. im going to get the gate back off my dad and try that. tyne is usually in the front porch with the door closed in his cage, mayb if he can see whos in the room he may b better but he may not be but i will find out.

i will agree with u mattie he defo has a hard head!!!! my legs found that out lol

i know i will get there well thats what im tellin myself

eddi n daisy im not sure if its how we have in the past tried to get him away from the situation that makes him snap at us which is why i use the lead now instead of my hane its not as close to his teeth. i mentioned it last nyt to linda and she suggested it could be frustration as hes not getting his own way and he doesnt like it. she is going to come up with an action plan to try and overcome this if that doesnt work then she did say to mayb contact the vet about possible hormone tests treatments.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 6:56 pm

kirstie wrote:
i know 1 thing he defo is teaching me alot more than i ever thought ive had it easy with the others i guess as they are no bother at alland i took it badly when tyne wasnt like them i knew hed b different but not to this extent. im going to get the gate back off my dad and try that. tyne is usually in the front porch with the door closed in his cage, mayb if he can see whos in the room he may b better but he may not be but i will find out.

With a dog like Tyne who has a bad past, it is usually trial and error trying to find what works and what doesn't, it took me 4 years to find the key to Joe returning to me, he had been beated for coming back to his previous owners. I hope I never see again the terror in a dog's eyes that I used to see in his.

Quote :
i know i will get there well thats what im tellin myself

I know you will, and I am ready to give another kick up the backside if you slip up anyone? ROFL

Quote :
eddi n daisy im not sure if its how we have in the past tried to get him away from the situation that makes him snap at us which is why i use the lead now instead of my hane its not as close to his teeth. i mentioned it last nyt to linda and she suggested it could be frustration as hes not getting his own way and he doesnt like it. she is going to come up with an action plan to try and overcome this if that doesnt work then she did say to mayb contact the vet about possible hormone tests treatments.

Jackie, Kirsty is on the right track, this is a behaviour problem because of his past, as long as she stays calm and deals with the problem safely, it will stop. Joe was a terrible bite when I first got him, he had learnt not to warn which is very dangerous, I completly ignore the biting even though I wanted to scream, to Joe biting no longer worked and he stopped it. He does warn now thank goodness. Tyne may also have learnt not to warn which is why he bites, it could also be frustration, as I can't see him I can't tell but the handling is the same, deal with the problem quitely.

When an owner is working through a problem that problem usually gets worse before it gets better because suddenly what worked for the dog no longer works so he is trying harder to get it to work again. Many owners give up at this stage but if they persever the behaviour will stop. I know this from experience not from what I have been told.

Jackie, start a thread about Daisy's aggression, you keep saying this but I haven't seen anywhere when it happens, what she does, etc. It may be hormone based, it could be her going through her second fear period, you need to know which it is to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tynes aggression step by step   

Back to top Go down

tynes aggression step by step
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1