Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Jumping up

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Jumping up   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 7:34 pm

Hi, well I give in its now 15 months and Georgie still jumps up at people and I cannot stop it.

I always say to people please ignore her and dont look down because she will get your chin or nose, and some do listen most odont and then she jumps up and I am in dispair. She runs so fast and then launches herself into mid air and she has knocked me flying once and I was picked up off the floor. It really is starting to pee me off I can intervene by wathcing her every move whilst off the lead, and I stand inbetween her and the other person and say NO and it works but at times she is so fast to move onto the next person I cant get in between them and then she jumps and nips at peoples noses or chins, what can I do?
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sat 06 Mar 2010, 7:56 pm

bufy was the same and people made it worse as they wouldnt bloody ignore her when asked to do so , yes mum in law when you come on you no who i mean lololol
i make people to ignore buffy now and if she jumps up or starts to beg for a fuss out she goes for a few seconds then she is allowed back in and if she still the same out she goes again she soon realises that if she makes a pain of herself she is removed and settles down until eye contact is made then she starts again my mum in law been up for a few days and she couldnt help herself but to look at buffy while we were telling her lie down and behave then next thing buffys jumping up again ,
so my advice hun train the humans first as the dogs much easier to train lol
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 12:36 pm

Get her to "Watch me" when you meet and great people out and about, and keep her doing it for a little bit, then just make sure she sits to great people.

My daisy is a nightmare for jumping up and eddi can be the same but I get her to watch me and she is good as gold, sometimes thats all I do until the people move on.
Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:08 pm

Not sure what you mean by "watch me" sorry :-(
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1802

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:21 pm

"watch me" is a command, get goergie into the sit position an attentive dog will look at you while sitting awaitin another command. tell her then to "watch me" and make her keep eye contact with you while the distractions or people are about. it should stop her from jumping up people as she will be focused on you and nothin else. Good look hun xx
Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:31 pm

Can I use treats?
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:43 pm

Most definatly I always do. Hold a treat in your hand show her you have one then take it up to you eye and say watch me as soon as she makes eye contact give her the treat. You can than hold it in that position for longer and longer she will keep watching you as she knows a treat is coming.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:45 pm

Teaching a dog to "Watch Me" is a very good tool to use on many occasions, it isn't difficult to teach but does take time so don't expect too much too quick.

Have your dog sitting in front of you, hold a treat between your eyes and give the command, I use the word "Look" because "Watch me" is too long and takes too much time to say. When your dog looks at the treat between your eyes, give him it, if you use a clicker, click as soon as he looks.

When his eyes are going between your eyes immediately you give the command, move your hand and treat to the side of your eyes and continue to reward when he looks at the treat. When he is doing this, give the command, when he looks at the treat don't reward, wait, he will look at your eyes eventually to see what you are doing, reward immediately. He will start to look at you eyes much quicker and eventually first.

When he is looking to your eyes immediately you can start to slowly move your hand with the treat down your face and body until eventually you don't have to hold the treat up. Your dog will always have to be rewarded.

Now that your dog will "Watch Me" you can start and extend the time he is looking at your eyes, wait 1 second before rewarding him, slowly extend the time by 1 second at a time.

If you our out and you know your dog is going to react to something, stand between your dog and the object, dog, etc. and get him to "Watch Me", don't ask him to hold it, command, when he looks, reward immediately, you need to keep his attention on your and this is one of the best ways of doing it. It doesn't matter how many treats he has, as long as you keep his attention. This is how I taught Gracie that she doesn't need to kill other dogs.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 3:49 pm

ooooooooo im going try this with buffy she does sit and watch me as she knows when i go to a certain cupboard theres treats there but would be brill if i can get her to actually watch me when i ask ,
she allready sits and waits as taught to her by a four year old and its amazing to watch buffy will wait for 10 minutes until boo tells her to come
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   Sun 07 Mar 2010, 6:15 pm

Daisy is great with it when people or dogs are walking past, I get her to sit and watch me she will stay there until i either treat her or release her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jumping up   

Back to top Go down

Jumping up
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1