Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

feeding amounts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:00 am

Good morning everyone, not been ofor or a while, Just a quick update and a question as well, Olaf is still as nuts as ever and full of life and Simba is currently a little chunk after we have come back from holiday. The question is how often should I feed Olaf? The dog walker we usedsaiid he needs feeding at least three times a day but then other people I've spoken to said the normal two times a day. Butto want to make sure I can give him the best possible start and keep himfit and healthy. Any advice would be amazing thank youIon advance
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:26 am

Hi I would always recommend feeding to the guidelines as I haven't met Simba, does the vet have concerns over weight?

Personally I feed twice and split the daily allowance into 2 equal meals at breakfast n tea time xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31924

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:28 am

Personally I would do two meals a day

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 6:31 am

That's what's confused me as the vets have said on multiple occasions that he is an ideal weight but then other people seem to think he is to thin, don't get me wrong I know you can't please everyone but I just want to make sure he is getting enough food to grow properly etc xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:14 pm

Two meals a day should be fine, just check he is having the right amount between the two meals. Sadly a lot of people see fat overweight staffies and assume that's how they should be. It's much healthier to be on the leaner side. If you can feel his ribs but not see them then he is just right spinner smile

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 15 Jul 2015, 9:17 pm

Thank you so much for your help, he is about that maybe a little skinny at the moment but he will soon build it back uponce Istart him back on his normal to him food routine
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:53 am

It's really difficult to find a happy medium - so I would try the 2 meals per day and guage on amounts you feed - please keep us posted :)
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:55 am

I think that's what it is.Trying to find the happy medium, don't worry I willkeeep you all posted
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Thu 16 Jul 2015, 2:47 pm

It took me ages to find the right food for my boys - and I use to say I would NEVER feed them tinned food - what would you know - everything I tried from Raw - BARF - Tripe - Natures Diet etc never suited them -

One day I tried Butchers tinned as it was Gluten / Wheat Free and they have never looked better on it - their skin is shiny and they don't appear hungry after feeds and their poops are ace (lol)
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Thu 16 Jul 2015, 3:06 pm

It's strange isn't it, I use more food as both dogs love it and they look shiny and healthy it's just the weight. Also their poos are ace as well haha
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sat 18 Jul 2015, 7:34 am

Some dogs are just built a certain way my two are complete opposites x
Back to top Go down
staffymad
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1679

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:28 pm

suziet wrote:
It took me ages to find the right food for my boys - and I use to say I would NEVER feed them tinned food - what would you know - everything I tried from Raw - BARF - Tripe - Natures Diet etc never suited them -

One day I tried Butchers tinned as it was Gluten / Wheat Free and they have never looked better on it - their skin is shiny and they don't appear hungry after feeds and their poops are ace (lol)

suzie i have given up listening to ppl who say this food is crap and that food is crap i feed wiley what suits him , he suffers colitus which i control via chappie and slippery elm bark when he has a bout of it , the rest of the time he is fed barking heads kibble with sardines in a morning the sardines are just to temp him to eat the kibble as if he doesnt eat in a morning he will be ill , then at night he has kibble and half a tin of pal , yes its crap but it agree's with him , i have tried all the fancy natures diet , raw mince from PAH all of it gave him the runs

To the orginal poster i just split wileys meals , if hes not eaten in a morning he gets terrible acid on the tummy
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:37 pm

Olaf gets a good dose of the runny bum syndrome if he doesn't eat, I have found by far the worst food is royal kanin, he eats a mouthfull and is instantly sick, more food that I feed Simba and Olaf now agrees with them both and keeps them regular, I'm not sure I believe all the write up about it's good for this and that but it works for my to. Since I've had Olaf home again he seems to be settled back into his normal routine and looks well, all though I will never use the kennels he went to again for a multitude of reasons
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sat 18 Jul 2015, 10:32 pm

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the kennels. Hope your boy is Ok x

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sun 19 Jul 2015, 1:09 am

He's ok, it was more the fact she asked ifshe could feed him once more than we do then fed him even more without asking, then his paws where red raw when my friend picked him up and she didn't tell us about that either and then to top it off he came back with fleas
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:51 am

Hi Mandy me too hun.

We were only saying yday that I am going to try Rocco on Chappie as once every 6 weeks he seems to go off food and have runny poop.
We bought original chappie yday as it's dairy free egg free soya free and free from red meat.
I do think it's the red meat that maybe causing these symptoms, so time will def tell now xx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sun 19 Jul 2015, 6:54 am

Jay if ur looking for kennels I can't recommend holidays4dogs highly enough.

They stay in a home with their home boarder and is a mile away from boarding kennels.
Our home boarder Roger is retired so the boys get human attention 24/7 and they have never come home stressed or anxious.

Google it as they started here in East Yorkshire and are now nearly UK based xx
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Sun 19 Jul 2015, 10:20 am

Thank you so much Suzie, we only used the one we did as it was a friend's sister, never again xx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Mon 20 Jul 2015, 6:31 am

Personally I don't like kennels, well not the ones we visited anyway!
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Mon 20 Jul 2015, 7:19 am

This place was meant to be more of a walkers place buwith thekennels to sleepin
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   Wed 22 Jul 2015, 8:21 pm

I don't think I could ever put mine in kennels, Reuben has never been in one and Belle was in the pound so I don't know what memories that would bring back

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: feeding amounts   

Back to top Go down

feeding amounts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Welcome Zone for New Members :: New Members Lounge-
Jump to: