Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Walking Reuben

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Walking Reuben   Wed 29 Jul 2015, 8:06 pm

I need some help, or at least some opinions on Reuben

As you know he struggles with noise and this year he has been worse than ever, he has usually chilled out by this time of the year.

Anyway I need some advice on walking him.

In a morning he is completely relaxed, is eager to go out and enjoys his walk. However we only have time for a 15 minute walk and then a bit of playtime on the street with his ball. In an evening he hides upstairs when I get the harnesses out and I do still make him go out even though he is shaking. He does not enjoy the walk and barely does anything and as soon as we are on our way home he pulls to get back. I've taken to driving to the fields again and parking on the field but on Monday we were on there less than ten minutes and even with his ball he decided to leg it back to the car. I put him back in the car and carried on playing with Belle but by,this time she was more interested in getting in the car with Reuben.

On our Saturday morning walks he is stressed for most of he walk and I literally have to pull him to walk. I'm following Adams advice of walking on a loose lead but getting him out of the car involves pulling him out so it probably does not start on a good footing. Previously he has been fine in this area

I make him go out on walks as I have concerns that if I don't he may get worse, however I am now having second thoughts on this and whether I just let him have the one short walk a day?
He does get plenty of excercise indoors as my two are often charging around playing.

If I don't get help from the doggie programme then I'm stuck as I can't afford another behaviourist (not covered now on insurance due to changing companies) so other than moving in with Adam I'm stuck on what to do. My biggest issue now is do I force him on walks?

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 7:42 am

Awwwww honey how difficult and no doubt upsetting for you.

I really am not sure how to advise - other then keep on doing what you are - I will have a little think and see if any of my thoughts may help xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 7:01 pm

That's the problem Suzie, I don't know if what I am doing is right. Should I let him stay at home every night and just walk him in a morning. Should I force him to go on walks to ensure he gets his exercise?

If I don't walk him will he get worse?

I don't know what to do

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Fri 31 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

I think if it were me I would try and extra long walk in morning and let him just go in garden on a evening as it must be upsetting to see him that way xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Fri 31 Jul 2015, 9:54 pm

Yeah I'll have to try that. I already get up at 5am so I'll see how I get on

I may walk down to the fields so he can play with his ball and have a good run

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3739

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 5:08 am

Hi jo , I think iv said before but if I'm being totally honest I'd just leave Reuben at home in the eves, yeah still get him out 1st thing in the morn if he's happy to go but I really would just let him stay home on the eves & sat morn , if he seems more than happy to stay in well let him if that what he wants to do ,

I can't see him changing now without big help & that's gonna cost you & as youv said you can't really afford it as it's so expensive, there's many a happy dog out there that just stays at home
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:39 am

I agree with Martin, x

Let us know how you get on x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm

I'm going to start getting up earlier so I can extend his morning walk. I'm hoping to get to the beach soon too as I'm hopeful he will be pretty chilled there

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:25 pm

Please keep us posted hun xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:32 pm

Will do

Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 872

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   Mon 10 Aug 2015, 4:02 am

Staffylover wrote:
That's the problem Suzie, I don't know if what I am doing is right.  Should I let him stay at home every night and just walk him in a morning.  Should I force him to go on walks to ensure he gets his exercise?

If I don't walk him will he get worse?

I don't know what to do

I would extend any walk you can when hes happy to go. I would not force him on any walk he dosent want to go on. It will just make walks an unpleasent experience for him & he may sooner or later not want to go at all.
Typing as I think.... have you had his eyes checked? Maybe at night he dosent see as well? Noises would be quite distracting, upsetting if he cant see what it is.

As for belle rumning back to the car to him, I just think she wants to be with her friend. Tyson will run anywhere Jess goes. He hates being without her. Except on his 2nd walk. Jess dosent come with us, its too much for her but she is 12.5 yrs now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Walking Reuben   

Back to top Go down

Walking Reuben
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1