Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

house training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: house training   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 5:45 pm

Hello again,
Unfortunately my beautiful staffsky poos in the house, to have read the other posts on here and tried those methods but they don't seem to work, I take him out first thing in the morning even before I'm awake properly, and he goes outside just fine, then I go out and he poos in his room again, he has a friend in there with him who is trained but since having the staffsky he has gone back to the odd accident, I'm not sure if it's separation anxiety or not as he also pulls up the carpet and has chewed the skirting board. If it is does anyone have any tips? I got him at 6 months old but it appears his previous owners where shocking as he had no training when I got him and despite them telling me that he was chipped and vaccinated it turns out he wasn't, could his messing be to do with them?
Thanks in advance for any tips
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31849

PostSubject: Re: house training   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 6:00 pm

What's your feed routine and excercise routine?

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: house training   Thu 30 Jul 2015, 6:04 pm

He is fed after his morning walk with me then he walks with my parntner before she leaves for work, I come home three hours later and take him straight outthen he has some more food and I take him out when my parntner finishes work a about 3 hours later and then againadjust before bed, he is also fine throughout the night, thanks again
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: house training   Fri 31 Jul 2015, 10:01 pm

How long have you had him now? Has he always done this?

Does he toilet every time he is left?

Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2342

PostSubject: Re: house training   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 7:48 am

Quattro was exactly the same until we crated him at night then all accidents stopped, even ones whilst we were out and wasn't crated. We still crate him at night but purely because he doesn't settle other wise
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: house training   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 9:19 am

We have had him about 3 months now maybe four. He has but we put it down to his last owners not training him, and yes it is every time he is left. We have tried crating him but he doesn't settle in it and spends the night whining and barking
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: house training   Sat 01 Aug 2015, 8:59 pm

It may be a vas if back to basics and putting him out every hour whilst you are in the house. If he can hold overnight it's not a medical problem.
Are you planning to reduce him to two feeds? Im wondering if this may help?

If he has a good run in the morning he should sleep until you come home midday time. Is his morning excercise on or off lead?
Do you leave him anything to keep him occupied whilst you are out? A frozen long usually keeps them entertained for a while

Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: house training   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 9:45 am

I think I may have to go for the taking him out every hour while I'm home, while we are out he has his toys and always gets a little treat, also we make sure he has his toys which includes one of those Kong toys. When I take him out some of his walks are on the lead but then I take him to the beach and let him run and play fetch
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: house training   Sun 02 Aug 2015, 10:14 am

Theonly problem is he doesn't go on every walk
Back to top Go down
tracyp
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 872

PostSubject: Re: house training   Mon 10 Aug 2015, 4:29 am

I train mine to "go toilet" -on command from day one till about 1 yr, or once its become habit. I take them out every hr or so, much sooner after eating or drinking, stand quietly with them & say "go toilet" over & over, It can be quite time consuming but as soon as they try, dosent matter if they "do" anything or not, its just that they try, they get a good boy, girl, a gentle quiet fuss, play. Far more an exvited good puppy dog if they pee or poop. At 1st mine even get their fav treat if they go. Its gotta be fun for them to at least try to go. It does work & mine pee & poop on command now. Very handy when taking them out.

Eating everything may just be because of his age? My staff ate 1/2 my house as a pup & he always had another dog & toys to play with.

Does he have access to a garden when he needs to go? I know its abit diff there, here our dogs generally have a yard to run in as they please.
Back to top Go down
staffsky owner
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male

PostSubject: Re: house training   Mon 10 Aug 2015, 7:58 am

I think I may have to implement that as well. He is doing better now though, Ihappened to bump into a dog traiiwho has given me a fair bit of free advice which actually seems to be working, well for the time being anyway. As for thechewing things that's still going on, I got home the other night and he had ripped open a cushion so fluff everywhere. Unfortunately he doesn'thave access to a garden or yard I wish he did as then I could let him wonder as he pleased.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: house training   

Back to top Go down

house training
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1