Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TaffyStaffy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 178

PostSubject: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Mon 04 May 2009, 7:03 pm

Hiya, well as you may know from reading other posts, Vegas has now been castrated. Because he is on restricted exercise it has made his adolescent problems a million times worse! Or I suppose it could be coincidence and it's just that his behaviour has got worse at the moment. I would really like to hear other people's experience of this 'stage' just to put my mind at rest really. I was almost crying today as he is soooo embarrassing and he weed at my parents house (nobody laugh please) and then because he was so frustrated ( I had to stop him jumping up on Dad) he was biting me and barking when I told him off. In the end we had to put him in the garden for him and I to cool down.
The main things he is doing as a stroppy teenager are;
lunging at other dogs to go and play with them- if we tell him to stop he tries to bite us
nipping at us to get our attention and escalating to biting if we ignore him
Won't come when called- even for food!
Really wants to be on the sofa all the time and pretends like he's going to attack you when you tell him to get off. Eventually does get off and then barks his head off.
We are trying to be really firm with him (but without shouting NO as that winds him up even more).
I have been doing the hands on hips thing and that stern voice but he raises one eyebrow as if to say 'that worked when I was young but now I am not scared of your stern voice'! When he bites us (it's more a nip like when he was about 13-14wks old) we have tried various options but the main one is to ignore him (if you can) and then if he keeps going we sort of put our hands further into his mouth until he gets fed up and spits them out then he licks you instead! If you tell him 'NO' he barks and does it more!
My main worry is that he will become agressive if we don't handle this right- we have training in 3 weeks but we can do a lot of damage by then. I did try some clicker training but he is not interested really at the moment, it is like he is someone else's dog!!!
So, I would love to hear from you all as to what your dogs were like at this age (just under 8 months) and what you did and more importantly, HOW MUCH LONGER???????? Cheers! From Stressed of Wales
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Mon 04 May 2009, 7:43 pm

Sal he is a normal staffy and if he didnt do half of that I dont think he would be normal lol if that makes sense Buffy did the sofa thing not funny as Jas goes mad because its his sofa lol i did the hands on hips but she laughed at me and carried on being a nutcase up and down the sofa i changed tatics bought out her favourite toy or bone and coaxed her down with it she still does it occassionally now but not to the extent she was jumping at me and lunging at my hands as if to say no way get off im having fun . you need a good confidence boost I've felt like crying many a time with Buffy I was even tempted to give up and rehome her because i was so worried but i am so glad i didnt this last few weeks have been such a turn around for her and for us but i found that it was it my fault i was trying to be pack leader and i'm not Jas is , since he has been giving her her the main comands such as recall and getting her lie down and settle for the night she has been a bloody changed dog . she is 9 months now and even Jas comented today in what a different dog she is to a few weeks ago keep persavering and giving the comands if he wont do as he is told put him in another room for a few minutes until he has calmed down they hate being away from the family . I dont think for one minute he will become aggresive at the moment it is harder like u say excercise ect has gone to pot because of his op but in a few days you will be back on schedual and things will start to settle again . :D
Back to top Go down
TaffyStaffy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Mon 04 May 2009, 9:46 pm

Aw thank you so much for that, it's good to know that it is 'normal'. If you saw him now he is asleep at my feet and you wouldn't think it was the same dog! I remember one time you said you were saying NO to Buffy all the time and that is what we are like at the moment. We will carry on as best we can for the moment and hopefully once the training classes start we can channel all this 'evil' energy into something positive- LOL!
Phew, who was it said 'life is never dull with a Staffie'? Obviously they said that as theirs was going through this phase!! LMAO.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Mon 04 May 2009, 9:51 pm

lol true saying life is certainley far from dull with a staffy you will gte there though sal keep telling you one day you will gte up and wondered who gave him a good boy pill lololol just remember channel all your energy into the good things he does at the moment he will learn what is accepted with plenty of praise and what isnt with plenty of the word NO
Back to top Go down
DIY Man
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Male
Number of posts : 85

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Tue 05 May 2009, 9:10 pm

Sounds like you have a live wire there but he shouldnt be barking and growling at you have you tried to be a bit more stern without touching the dog but just looking at him and showing your annoyance at what he is doing.

I have seen his picture and I think he is a lovely dog.
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Wed 06 May 2009, 1:14 pm

TaffyStaffy wrote:
Hiya, well as you may know from reading other posts, Vegas has now been castrated. Because he is on restricted exercise it has made his adolescent problems a million times worse! Or I suppose it could be coincidence and it's just that his behaviour has got worse at the moment. I would really like to hear other people's experience of this 'stage' just to put my mind at rest really. I was almost crying today as he is soooo embarrassing

Open a bottle of wine and chill, you can't do anything with him while you are showing so much stress :lol: Calm yourself down first, then you can start to work whith Vegas. Try burning lavendar, it does seem to calm most dogs.

Quote :
and he weed at my parents house (nobody laugh please) and then because he was so frustrated ( I had to stop him jumping up on Dad) he was biting me and barking when I told him off. In the end we had to put him in the garden for him and I to cool down.

Next time get him in the garden quicker. ;)

Quote :
The main things he is doing as a stroppy teenager are;
lunging at other dogs to go and play with them- if we tell him to stop he tries to bite us
nipping at us to get our attention and escalating to biting if we ignore him
Won't come when called- even for food!
Really wants to be on the sofa all the time and pretends like he's going to attack you when you tell him to get off. Eventually does get off and then barks his head off.
We are trying to be really firm with him (but without shouting NO as that winds him up even more).
I have been doing the hands on hips thing and that stern voice but he raises one eyebrow as if to say 'that worked when I was young but now I am not scared of your stern voice'! When he bites us (it's more a nip like when he was about 13-14wks old) we have tried various options but the main one is to ignore him (if you can) and then if he keeps going we sort of put our hands further into his mouth until he gets fed up and spits them out then he licks you instead! If you tell him 'NO' he barks and does it more!

Walk out of the room when he does anything you are not happy with, close the door and count to 10, go back in, if he continues to do what you don't want him to walk out again. If you keep doing this it won't take him long to realise that it isn't working and will stop. Dogs will only do what works, shouting NO is part of the game and you are joining in so it is working, walk out of the room the game has stopped, nobody to play with so he will eventually stop. Hands on hips and stern voice is all part of play to him.

To get him off the sofa without any problems, have a short lead on him, you can then lead him off the sofa and give the command and praise as well. Do this often enough and he will start to get off when you ask because it has become a habit. Dog training is all about getting the dog into the habit of doing something when you say a word, practice it RIGHT often enough and your dog will do it automatically.

When you say won't come when called, is this out on walks or in from the garden. Coming in from the garden is easy to solve, call him, if he doesn't come close the door and wait. He will eventually come to the door, open it, give the command, if he comes in lots of reward, if he runs off, close he door and wait until he comes again. It doesn't take long, this is how I teach all my dogs to come in when I call and I only call once, the door is then shut. :lol:

Quote :
My main worry is that he will become agressive if we don't handle this right- we have training in 3 weeks but we can do a lot of damage by then. I did try some clicker training but he is not interested really at the moment, it is like he is someone else's dog!!!
So, I would love to hear from you all as to what your dogs were like at this age (just under 8 months) and what you did and more importantly, HOW MUCH LONGER???????? Cheers! From Stressed of Wales

Try mind games with him, there are some good ideas on http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1135, not sure if you can see them if not a member but worth joining for the information. Dogs need mental exercise as much as physical but many owners over do the physical and ignore the mental exercising which is why some people have dogs that are too fit and are still having problems with them.

I like to have well trained, well mannered obedient dogs with as little effort on my part as possible, prefer to use my energy in other ways :) .
Back to top Go down
TaffyStaffy
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Wed 06 May 2009, 7:57 pm

Hi, thanks for the new answers, Mattie if I opened a bottle of wine every time my liver would be wrecked- LOL!
DIY Man I have tried being stern but it's like he is laughing at me. It's only when he pushes me really hard and I shout a lot then he seems to think 'whoops, did too much'
We will try to leave him on his own a lot more to calm down I think- once his stitches are out of course! I will try that link for some brain exercises thank you. I will keep you all updated but let's just say tonight we have already had 5 time outs, numerous sofa jumping attempts and one headache (mine). Time for that bottle of wine I think Mattie!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Wed 06 May 2009, 8:18 pm

awwwwww Sal he will get there honest any conselation Buffys been a nightmare today but I think if kids play up she thinks its her place to join in lol
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   Wed 06 May 2009, 8:27 pm

Try dealing with an 8 month old Collie/Lab that has been on crate rest for 2 months, she didn't stop bouncing off the walls for a week. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!   

Back to top Go down

ALIENS TOOK MY DOG AND REPLACED IT WITH A BAD ONE!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1