Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Separation anxiety / adoption?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bmccare

Female
Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Thu 14 Apr 2016, 9:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I hoping some of you can help advise me on my dilemma/training problem.

So I am currently fostering a 6 year old staffie who is just wonderful. He's an all round dream to have (with a cheeky side of course), but really suffers with being left alone for any period of time.
We are training him with this, and have got him to be more independent at home which is a good start!
Has anyone else had the same issue with their staffies? How long did it take to get him to a good place, and how long are they now able to be left?

We are thinking of adopting him for ourselves but he has had interest so we no longer have much time to make our decision. To keep him long term we will need him to be ok to be left for a few hours and need him to be able to do this in the next couple of months. We ultimately want what's best for him, so aren't sure whether to let him go to a home where someone is around all day, or if we can train him to be in a good enough place so we can keep him as we are already very bonded.
So I would love to hear your stories about separation anxiety to help me come to a decision.
Thank you!
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23307

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:42 pm

Hi and welcome xx

It's a difficult one to advise online but a good walk before you go out, and build up on the time your away helps too

Adam on here is fabulous for the correct advice and I'm sure one of our administration team can try to contact Adam for you

Leave a radio on maybe also helps xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31790

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Fri 15 Apr 2016, 9:24 pm

Does he follow you around the house every time you leave the room?

Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3687

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Sat 16 Apr 2016, 7:21 pm

Staffylover wrote:
Does he follow you around the house every time you leave the room?

come on jo all our staffys do that lol!
Back to top Go down
Bmccare

Female
Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Sat 16 Apr 2016, 8:46 pm

Yes he does follow us round the house (me in particular, he's a mummys boy!), but we are trying to help him be more independent and he now can chill out in another room for a while once hes asked to and occasionally of his own accord.
We are giving him plenty of exercise, not fussing him before or after leaving, giving him kongs, leaving the radio on, and doing regular training sessions on this but seeing much progress. I am now trying a DAP pheromone collar and a thundershirt.
Is there anything else I can be doing to help? I have heard conflicting advice about whether a leaving routine is good or not, any thoughts on this?
Has anyone successfully overcome SA, and how long did it take?
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2330

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   Fri 20 May 2016, 6:48 pm

My boy has it but has improved since we've moved & as he's eating older. He was only left for 4 hours max a about 3 times a week but i have cut this down to twice a week and he seems a lot happier. We are now able to drop him to my parents when ever we're out so he's having more mental stimulation throughout the day so he's more tired and is then happy to be left when needed as I think he likes to chill out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Separation anxiety / adoption?   

Back to top Go down

Separation anxiety / adoption?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1