Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Amandapenchina

Female
Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:05 pm

Hi!!
I have a 1 year old blue nose pitbull who recently started breaking out uncontrollably in staph. I have him on fish oil pills every morning when he eats his breakfast. Along with bathing him with medicated shampoo from the vet. I've taken him to 2 vets. One recommended doing a culture which I did to find out he has 2 types of bacteria, possibly a third. One vet has prescribed him antibiotics with a steroid and a vitamin C injection. The other vet recommended a antihistamine. He has super dry skin and losing hair in area where he has staph. Please help!!! I've tried putting coconut oil in his food and I feel like that made hair loss patches come out more. I just bought salmon oil so I will see how that works.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31924

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:53 am

Have the vets suggested testing for allergies?
When did he start the antiobiotics?
Also, is he blue? They are renowned for skin issues, it may be worth memtioning colour dilution allopecia to your vets if your boy is blue
Do you have any pics?

Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Sun 15 Jan 2017, 2:25 pm

You know they never asked me if I wanted to do an allergy test. They recommended a culture test so they know what bacteria he has ( E. coli and Kleb. Pneumoniae) and what antibiotics help to treat that bacteria. Yes he's a blue nose pit and has been on antibiotics on an off the last 3 months. He's currently on a antihistamine called Temaril. He use to be on prednisone and baytril last month but didn't see any progress. Now he's losing hair where the areas are infected with staph. Vet has recommended baths 3x a week and using conditioner at the end to help with his dry skin. And yes I have pics. How would you recommend uploading them? Sorry I'm new to this site!
In the meantime, I'm going to read up on what you mentioned "Color Dilution Allopecia" :).
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Sun 15 Jan 2017, 9:49 pm

Doesn't sound like much is working for him, did you see any improvement on the skin when he was on antibiotics?
To upload pics you can either use a programme like Photobucket or upload straight from your pic/phone by clicking on the first icon in the fourth box along on the banner (looks like a floppy disc)

Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Sun 15 Jan 2017, 10:10 pm

Meet Bleu :) I've attached some pictures of his staph/skin infection with hair loss
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3749

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:18 pm

hi blue , your a bonnie lad

sorry im no help on this but jo is it worth putting Amanda intouch with Zoe on FB as she is very clued

up on blue skin issues with loomis suffering skin problems in the past
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Mon 16 Jan 2017, 7:36 pm

He is a little Bonnie baby haha he's currently on Orjen 1 cup for breakfast and 1 cup for dinner.
To answer, "StaffyLovers" question about antibiotics. Yes they do work when he's on it but as soon as he's done I feel like it comes back and when it comes back it comes back with vengeance. I went to the vet again on Friday and they gave him Bactrim along with Termil for the antihistamine.

Honestly I am starting to think giving him a bath with the medicated shampoo "max chlorhexidine" is making it worse. Every time I finish giving him a bath and drying him he has more patches of loss fur :(.

I'm thinking maybe changing the shampoo to something else? Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Mon 16 Jan 2017, 8:35 pm

Jakethedog wrote:
hi blue  , your a bonnie lad

sorry im no help on this but jo is it worth putting Amanda intouch with Zoe on FB as she is very clued

up on blue skin issues with loomis suffering skin problems in the past  

Good idea Martin, I've just posted on Zoe's wall x

Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:57 pm

Thank you guys!!! Very much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2367

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:59 am

Interesting for me to read as quattro has skin problems this is his latest either side of him back side
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:16 pm

That's how it started to look with a Bleu, on his bum area and then it spread up to his back and on his belly :(. I wish I knew how to make it stop! Did this just start happening with Quattro?
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:39 pm

He gets sore arm pits and inside leg, also his belly some times. This started about 60 months ago but has just started to get worse, it looks dry
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3749

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 6:10 pm

must itch like mad that
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 6:32 pm

What kind of shampoo do you use when you bathe him? Bleu gets its by his armpits too and is itchy.
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 7:11 pm

Unfortunately he is petrified of the bath so we don't get to bath him. We have to wait until summer when we can put him in the swimming pool as he'll let us do this. No shampoo though. If he gets dirty I will wipe him down with a wet flannel
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:14 pm

Now I'm starting to think my water isn't the cleanest down here in South Florida, wonder if I have contaminated water and it's effecting his skin..... I know that's a high reach but I'm trying to eliminate as many factors as possible!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:22 pm

What is he fed?

Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:04 pm

I have him on Orjen Regional red because I thought he was allergic to white carbs. I use to have him on Blue Buffalo.
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 18 Jan 2017, 3:33 pm

This is Bleu this morning. I think he's getting worse by the day. I threw him in the shower today to keep him from being dry and itchy.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

Are the sores open? If not I wonder if calamine lotion would help?
Do you mind if I take copies of your pics to show to a friend of mine who Martin mentioned above?

Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:41 pm

Of course! Spread the word!! I could use as much help as possible. These sores are open. I saw the one this morning bleeding a little but I don't know if that's from me bathing him and scrubbing him with a wash rag. But before today the sores weren't open like that. Which is why I think he's getting worse. Sometimes I will put a little hydrocortisone cream if he's itchy and it's not an open wound. He feels awesome after!
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Tue 24 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

Hey guys! Were you guys able to get a hold of your friend and show them the pictures?
Back to top Go down
stepys1
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 25 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm

I'm also interested as quattro's is getting worse!
Back to top Go down
Amandapenchina

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 25 Jan 2017, 5:13 pm

Oh no!! Our babies are getting worse!!! Bleu is covered in missing hair patches. So sad :( but I bathe him 3x a week routinely. Is Quattro on any mediciations? I was also told to have him on a monthly flea prevention and they recommended NexGard but activel keeping up with it which I have been.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   Wed 25 Jan 2017, 10:09 pm

I've added the pics to my FB page and asked for some advice so I will let you know what feedback I get x

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph   

Back to top Go down

Help!! Blue Nose Pitbull with Staph
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Welcome Zone for New Members :: New Members Lounge-
Jump to: