Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Dog Research

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TomR

Male
Number of posts : 5

PostSubject: Dog Research   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 2:18 pm

Hi all, hope this is ok to post:

Do you want to take part in exciting new dog personality research?

We are currently conducting a number of projects at the University of Lincoln, aimed at identifying personality traits/behavioural tendencies in the domestic dog. In particular, we are interested in whether there are breed differences in impulsivity, and are conducting a commonly used behavioural task at the University of Lincoln to assess this. We are looking to recruit pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terriers, to take part in this research and hope some of you may be interested in getting involved!

The task involves one visit to the University of Lincoln and will take approximately 2 hours. During the visit, dogs are trained to understand that one tray contains a small quantity of cheese and another different coloured tray contains a larger quantity of cheese. Dogs then undergo a choice test, where both trays are presented at the same time, and the dog is free to choose which tray they go to. If they select the tray with the larger quantity of food, this tray moves slightly further away, whereas the small quantity tray always stays in the same place, and the procedure is repeated. The task ends when a dog consistently selects the smaller quantity tray in favour of the larger quantity tray.

The task is entirely non-invasive, and uses cheese as food rewards. Owners will be asked to not feed their dogs for at least 2 hours prior to their test slot (either 9 am or 12pm) and testing is arranged around owners schedules. Breaks are provided and dogs have free access to water throughout.Owners will also be asked to complete some short questionnaires.

In order to take part, interested owners will need to:
1) Sign up to the University of Lincoln Pets Can Do database (first link when you search for "Lincoln pets can do"). A database of owners and their dogs who may want to take part in various studies being conducted at the University. FAQ can be found on the website.
2) Once signed up, owners will be contacted with further information regarding the study, and asked whether they would like to express an interest in taking part.
3) If interest is expressed, they will be contacted by the lead researcher to arrange a date and time for them to visit the University.

If they remain on the database, they may be contacted to see if they would like to take part in any other studies in the future, but are free to opt out of the database at any point.

We look forward to hearing from you!
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

pity your not in Manchester as id well be up for this & Alfie loves cheese too lol!

good luck finding owners & dogs to take part
Back to top Go down
Jakethedog
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Male
Number of posts : 3741

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Sat 07 Oct 2017, 6:01 pm

pity your not in Manchester as id well be up for this & Alfie loves cheese too lol!

good luck finding owners & dogs to take part
Back to top Go down
TomR

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Sun 08 Oct 2017, 9:35 am

Hi Jakethedog,

Thanks very much. Although you are not in the area to do the task advertised above. We are also running projects that simply involve filling out an online questionnaire. This can be completed by owners of any dog, breed, age etc.

This questionnaire is interested in how dogs respond to the positive and negative things in life and how they make decisions.

As a new member I am not able to post direct links yet. But if completing this online questionnaire is something you might be interested in doing, it can be found as the first link if you search for "lincoln dog personality"

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Sun 08 Oct 2017, 9:50 pm

I will fill in the questionaire, if you want to Emil me the link I can add it for you
Jtench6@googlemail.com

Back to top Go down
TomR

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:23 am

Thanks Staffylover (Jo?), I have sent you an email with the link :)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Fri 13 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Can you resend it please Tom

Back to top Go down
TomR

Male

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   Tue 17 Oct 2017, 3:29 pm

It's ok, I think I can post links up now. Thanks anyway.

The questionnaire can be completed at the following website: http://www.uoldogtemperament.co.uk/dogpersonality/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Research   

Back to top Go down

Dog Research
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1