Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

soiling my bed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 41

PostSubject: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:33 pm

everytime we go out my 9mnth old pup gets over the stairgate n wees on anyones bed she can get to ,any thoughts on this ????shes a rescue pup!
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:35 pm

Ive never had a problem with this - sounds like partial seperation anxiety, no doubt someone will be able to offer advice.

Only thing I can help with is, is it a dog gate or a child gate?

If a kids gate, try raising it 4-5 inch off the floor. Im yet to see a dog clear a proper dog gate.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:37 pm

Is her peeing pattern normal at all other times? How does she react when you leave her alone? I wonder if she is upset at being left?

My bitch used to do this and we ruled out a medical problem with the vets and put it down to a behavioural problem, however she did it when we were at home and not when she was left.
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:39 pm

yeah she's fine otherwise never pees during the nite indoors etc shes not alone,has two other dogs to stay with but did have 4 other homes before i fostered her n kept her
Back to top Go down
Pat & Bomber
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:45 pm

How long do you leave her alone? Maybe you must train it in little minutes, then come back, etc.

I think she is very afraid that you never will come back, because of her 4 other homes, you must be very patiently.

Maybe took away the bed linen and lay down something she don`t like, like something making some noise and put it on the bed?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:46 pm

How long have you had her now Shelley? I would say she is anxious at being left. Could you try a dog gate or move the child gate up a few steps, it may make it harder for her to jump over.
I would also make sure that all the bedroom doors are locked so that you can break the habit.

Does she stay in the same room as the other dogs or are they seperated? If they are seperated it may be worth leaving her with a stuffed kong to keep her occupied when you leave
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:48 pm

have tried the quick returns ,she seems to get better then has a relapse every now n then
shes in with the other dogs all the time ,have had her since just before xmas
Back to top Go down
Yasmin
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1087

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 8:56 pm

id definately get a dog gate thats higher so there is no way she can get in your room. it will break her habit

is she weeing on the duvet, this is common in young dogs.

id exercise her well and get some mental stimulation toys such as kongs, nina ottoson boards. ensure that the other dog/dogs dont fight over these things.

how long is she left? is she crate trained? x
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 9:08 pm

I suppose the main question being asked here is how long is she left?

You could try wee wee's before you go out so everyone in the garden and do their stuff.

Has she ever peed when you have all been out for a walk and come back home?

It sounds like there could be a seperation issue going on but it will take a few questions and answers with her being a rescue to find out what the insecurities are.
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 781

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 9:22 pm

yep separation anxiety, but also claiming her environment, have u a dog crate, im not pro crates but they have their uses, and rarely will a dog defficate or urinate in their own bed or crate unless really bosting for the loo, do u shut all of your doors?? i have to because of the cats but then my dogs are not allowed upsairs weather we are here or not? the returning freaquantly is flawed becasue upon your guestimated return u may be coming into a still anxiouse dog really to do this properly a camera to film as u wait out side is best then upon your return u musnt akknowledg eher until she is at peace then reward this behaiviour!
but i have not heard of peeing in peoples beds before to me its as peeps have said but with a touch of claiming what she deems as hers
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 9:26 pm

I agree Bones, depending on how often and how long the dog is left it sounds like claiming "this is me, I am here and if I can smell me I am safe"
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:22 pm

thanks all ,yeah we shut all the doors have even resorted to tying them shut n now bolts lol she has a cage which i dont mind for a short amount of time but feelmean for say n hr or so while the other two are free
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:36 pm

well i seperate all the dogs at night, just for peace of mind and so i get some sleep not hearing playing and stuff downstairs, diesel sleeps in the crate, cagney sleeps on a bed of blankets in the kitchen and lacey sleeps in the living room, they are seperate for 8 hours and when they are asleep this is good as then not only do they get time apart but also time to sleep as sleep is important, in the day a dog can be left up to 4 hours in a crate as long as the dog has had a good run prior and after release because i tend to find that crates build energy in a dog, is just a though perhaps if u caught her in the act u can correct and claim in front oif her so she will understand that its yours not hers and she shouldnt pee on it, but as its when your out its hard to correct!
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:38 pm

yeah running out of beds now lol my sons got himself a new one n she done it on that not a good idea!
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:47 pm

do u know how to remove the smell of dog n cat pee??
if not here u go..
u need some bicarb, biological wash powder and vodka with an added scent,
so first let it dry, sprinkle the bicarb as this deoderises leave it on for about 24 hours if u can, the hoover off, do the same with the washing powder, biological wash powder prevents the fat contained in the urine produce the smell, then again leave for as long as poss then hoover, then add the smell (lavender scent for beds me thinks) to the vodka, not forgetting a swig before u add the scent lolol then spray over the area...
alternative there are products u can buy specifically for dogs urine which helps to prevent "re,marking" have a peak on google see if u can find it as i cant remember the name lol
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:51 pm

i cant give any advice as ive never had buffy upstairs , well i have occassionally but i have allways been there she has wet on my daughters bed once but she was only a pup .
the only thing i'd suggest is moving the stair gate into a slightly higher position to see if that deters her from jumping the gate ,
don't feel guilty for leaving her in her crate while your out if its just for an hour at least in there you know she is safe and not doing anything she shouldn't be doing
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:54 pm

citronella oil and a little warm water also deters them from using the same spot twice apparentley dogs do not like the smell of the citonella
thank kim and aggie for this one lol
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 10:58 pm

wow thanks for that waste of good vodka tho lol
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 11:12 pm

shelleyb wrote:
wow thanks for that waste of good vodka tho lol

not a waste if it works lololol
Back to top Go down
shelleyb
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 11:13 pm

no better than 300 quid for a new mattress!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Mon 17 May 2010, 11:25 pm

much better ,
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   Tue 18 May 2010, 8:39 am

the vodka is a natural bacteria killer so anything that maybe left after all the rest should be killed by the vodka, but just think u can drink as u clean lolol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: soiling my bed   

Back to top Go down

soiling my bed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1