Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

learned behaviour

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 781

PostSubject: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 10:52 am

hi all, so i have to erm say something, lol, so we have caggers home and it seems she has an unwanted
"learned" behaviour wich i am kinda peed off at as it is a bad end to my daily walks, there is a GSD
round the corner and if its out i have to stop or risk faith being nocked off her bike by cagney, diesel and lacey are fine even when the GSD is tryin to kill us all, but cagney goes into red zone big time, she is unfocused and a danger to myself and faith as she has bit me when in this zone, by accident i know this, today i managed to get her to sit but i could tell she wanted to get this dog, this is a learned behaviour, or rather she has not been corrected in the proper manner for reacting to aggressive dogs in gardens, has anyone else dealt with such issues?? i know how to sort this out but i dare say if i take her out alone the GSD wont be out and i am all to aware that GSD'S are a vocal and guarding breed, however i do think if the owner of said GSD would walk his pooch and correct him in the correct manner alot of bull could be avoided, ggrr any thoughts or opinions welcome, i dont wanna be known as that crazy woman whos dog bites her, lol, i might just add that cagney is a very friendly and waggy dog willing to play with all dogs and ive never seen aggression other wise..hense "learnt behaviour"
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 12:01 pm

Bones have you worked out if it is fear aggression or just this dog that she has taken a dislike to?

I can't really add more than I have said before about something like this but you have to try and catch the behaviour as it is about to start, not when it has started and not before - its tough to work out at first but it does come.

When Cags detects the other dog, get her attention for a treat, don't tighten the lead or yank (you know that I know) basically try to get her to fixate on you not the dog, as soon as she looks at you give her a treat. You can wave the treat in her face or make a silly noise anything to get her to fixate on you. As soon as you have done that carry on walking. Its not going to happen overnight and maybe with the other dogs around she is going into protect her siblings mode.

I understand what you are saying about learnt behaviour and that is more difficult to crack than most things, but you are good and I know you will do it not teaching you how to suck eggs.
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 12:31 pm

lol i know this sucking eggs lolol is funny, beleive me i have tried to distract her and from the moment we step on to that road to return home she is all ready fixated on the blokes yard even if the dog is not there, i will keep tryin and see how it goes me thinks words with this man is also needed but he allready thinks me mad so what can i say, lol, i will get there with her im sure, like i said today she sat so thats one step closer, me thinks a more tatsy treat needs to be on offer to distract her from the GSD perhaps chicken or a paice of sausage at least then she will associate walking past with a treat instead of "this is what i do now...red zone time" cheers sandi any coments is good comments im no proffesional just need reasuurance that im not he only one n so on, lol
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 9:29 pm

I have similar issues with Reuben with the odd dog and have been working at it for months, he can react aggressively when a dog looks at him and so far our work has been 95% successful but we still have some bad days and equally some fantastic days

When we are working I use Chicken or Liver cake as it needs something smelly to distract him and I would say that you should walk her on her own whilst you deal with the issue. You will have the time to dedicate to her and also the other dogs reactions will not affect her.

Does she see the dog or can she only hear it?
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 11:12 pm

oh no we can see the dog, its taller than the fence it jumps up and the fence its on its last legs so if its out we can see his head above the fence omg ill have to try n get a picture or a vid of its behaviour its insane, the other 2 dogds dont react thats the wierd thing they have a look and thats it it really is just caggers, the other 2 dont even look unless its there barking away at us, i think i will try n take some tasties out with us from now on i would rather face the issue than walking a different route
Back to top Go down
bones
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   Wed 02 Jun 2010, 11:13 pm

i will just add that its on the front of the house with flimsy metal gates for the driveway so everyone can see this dog being territorial, i had words with the lady next door and she told me she has fell out with the man many times over the years and basically told me he's an arse so not much point me talkin to him i dont think
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: learned behaviour   

Back to top Go down

learned behaviour
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1