Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

No Biting!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1802

PostSubject: No Biting!   Tue 07 Jul 2009, 7:43 pm

Well everything was fine with both dogs until this morning! They were playing nicely and then out came the growls and aggression. My husband went to pull them appart and Ty, went to bite him. Thank fully my hubby wasn't hurt. Then about half a hour ago hubby was playing with Ty and his ball. He grabbed the ball and told Ty to drop it. (this is something tha Ty is has been used to for his entire life). Ty lock jawed on the ball and when he eventually let go, he bit my hubby. This time however he drew blood. It is only a little bit but none the less it has scared the hell out of me! He has never been like this before, and its not like Bruno was in the room threatening him! I cant under stand why he became so aggressive so quickly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Tue 07 Jul 2009, 9:12 pm

Thats not good news.

Only advice I can give and for what its worth is this:

Make sure they both know who is the boss (you)

Don't change anything of Ty's around, don't even move his food bowl from where it was before Bruno came. Feed Ty first, pet Ty first, talk to Ty first - it's not cruel its making sure Ty knows that nothing has changed and he is still number 1.

Good idea to have Bruno neutered so they are both level.

Do time out training with just Ty, if it means going back to basics, so be it at least he will be getting one to one attention from you. Then share some time with Bruno, but makes sure you do Ty first.

Just keep calm and don't let them stay together when you are not there for the time being at least.
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Tue 07 Jul 2009, 9:20 pm

Feed Ty first, pet Ty first, talk to Ty first -
I read similar coment from mad max on another post and was already implementing this! I haven't changed anything except let him sleep in bedroom last night to stop the two of them playing all night and keeping us awake! (that should read anything except bruno sleeping here)
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Tue 07 Jul 2009, 9:37 pm

its no good me comenting as ive only ever had one dog and i only know people with two bitches but i supose its the same rules packing order regime
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Wed 08 Jul 2009, 1:29 pm

Well the good news is that after some reminding about who's alpha and who's not the dogs have returned to their previously playful selves! bounce They spent most of this morning cuddled up to one another on our setteee group hug and yes i have taken plenty pics cheerleader just waiting for photobucket to upload the on hubbies comp then will post them (theres roughly 14!) So now its keeping them in order and reminding the kids to do Ty 1st and Bruno second!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Wed 08 Jul 2009, 1:32 pm

good news Mandy you sound confident eno0ugh so I am sure you will work it out between them :D
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31849

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Sat 11 Jul 2009, 7:23 pm

Glad things are settled down, hope things stay this way. Would def have Bruno neutered as Admin suggests
Back to top Go down
Mattie
Supporter
Supporter

Female
Number of posts : 430

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Mon 13 Jul 2009, 2:10 pm

I am not into the dominance theory and I don't think this has anything to do with that. I have been away and still catching up so I assume you have a new dog.

Quote :
Well everything was fine with both dogs until this morning! They were playing nicely and then out came the growls and aggression. My husband went to pull them appart and Ty, went to bite him. Thank fully my hubby wasn't hurt.

This often happens when you introduce a new dog to your home, I don't allow any toys for a short while then introduce them slowly only under supervision. Howevery you get fighting dogs apart the chances of you being bitten is high, my hands are covered in scars because of this and is how I learnt how to watch my dogs to stop this happening.

Quote :
Then about half a hour ago hubby was playing with Ty and his ball. He grabbed the ball and told Ty to drop it. (this is something tha Ty is has been used to for his entire life). Ty lock jawed on the ball and when he eventually let go, he bit my hubby. This time however he drew blood. It is only a little bit but none the less it has scared the hell out of me! He has never been like this before, and its not like Bruno was in the room threatening him! I cant under stand why he became so aggressive so quickly.

Ty wasn't being aggressive, he will still be on a high from the fight with Bruno, highs like this do cause dogs to act out of character, he is just being a dog, that doesn't mean we have to accept it. I find it safer to do a swop, when I first got Merlin he used to threaten to take my face of, being a Greyhound that was easy to do. I would do a swop, preferably in another room so he would leave what he had there. He would come racing out for the swop and had forgotten what he had, I was able to go back into the room and pick it up. Now Merlin will give things up on command. As Ty has been doing this I would do some more training on this with him.

These are some articles on Dominance worth reading.

http://www.deaf-dogs-help.co.uk/help/packleader.htm

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/dominance%20statement.pdf

http://www.bris.ac.uk/news/2009/6361.html

Reading our dogs body language is very imporant especially if we have 2 or more dogs, these articles are very good for this.

http://www.wagntrain.com/BodyLanguage.htm

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/diagrams.html

Better go and get some food now or I won't be eating this evening, my dogs will of course. :roll:
Back to top Go down
Mandy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   Mon 13 Jul 2009, 2:22 pm

Thank you mattie, will look at those links tonight when kids in bed and can do so in peace! thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No Biting!   

Back to top Go down

No Biting!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1