Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

stella the staff.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
stella_staffy
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

she was on james belovid dry mix and hated it, shes now in pedegree wet meaty chunks with veg. Shes not on the puppy one because she eats too much. She has one normal can of food a day + treats and a custard cream when i go out. why could it effect her? A friend said to try dry mix i did and she really didnt take to it. when i got her i fed her chicken and liver ect she has chicken for a treat now but thats it.
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 9:24 pm

I would say stop the custard creams. Buy some dog biscuits instead, cut down on the treats as well. Also try putting her back on puppy food, you can always mix wet and dry together if she really hates it.
Back to top Go down
stella_staffy
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

Iv tried mixing it she picks all the dry bits out and leaves them all over the floor so i gave up. Iv tried her with the dog trats like bonio and shes not into them. It needs to be a real treat because im leaving her to go out and i only do it once a wee she comes every where elce with me.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

how about trying her on raw or at least fresh meat you could ask the butcher for any meat that he cannot sell they usually give it to you
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:22 pm

I understand your frustration, I remember this with mine, at times it would get me down so much i'd cry about it. When I used to tell enzo off for nipping it would send him loopy and he would run around the house at 100mph smashing anything in sight and I couldnt stop him! lol. He wouldnt listen to me very much!

But honestly stick to the 'ouch' and the advise the others have given you and I can tell you it does get better with time. Its hard work but it will be worth it in the end.

I also recommend a crate, enzo had one of these for when we went out and he used to sleep in it at night and loved it, it was his own little area. Remember to take any collars off if you leave her as it can get caught up and strangle :(

Good luck
x

Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:36 pm

lOADS OF SUPER ADVICE, ALL i DID WITH gEORGIE IS TO HOLD A TREAT IN THE PALM OF MY HAND. dOGIE WILL CHEW AND NIP A BIT AND AS SOON AS SHE/HE LICKS REWARD WITH TREAT. KEEP DOING THIS SO THAT DOG KNOWS HE/SHE ONLY GETS A TREAT WHEN SHE STOP BITING TAKES TIME BUT IT WORKS, ALSO TRY DISTRACTION TOO. CHUCK A TOY LET HER CHEW IT AGAIN HAVE TREAT IN HAND WHEN SHE COMES BACK IF SHE CHEWS AND MOUTHS DONT LET HER HAVE IT UNTIL SHE STOPS - GOOD LUCK
Back to top Go down
Denise67
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 319

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Mon 19 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

stella_staffy wrote:
If i go to pick her up she sows her teeth and has a bite face on. So i back off and leave her to come to me.

The above that i have quoted from one of your posts is the cause for what your experiencing with her now.

You backing off because she growled or showed her teeth at you has just made this little minx more powerful than you.

My litter at the moment growled like little gremlins if picked up or made to do something they did'nt want to do when they were about 6wks old. I just took no notice of it and just carried on either picking them up or moving them away from a certain area.
If i had of backed down it would of made the problem worse, but they soon learnt human mummy me is NOT scared of them and they cant boss me around no matter how much they growl or show their teeth lol!
The kids are now nearly 8wks old and know the word NO already ( as the shites keep biting my feet).
They got a firm NO in a growling type of voice and a tap on the nose.

If you ever watch a mother with her litter of hooligans your see she puts her mouth over their muzzles and applies pressure till the pup squeeks, she lets go and the pup stops doing what it was being told off by Mum for and a lesson is learnt by the pup. It may need a few more tellings offs from mum in this way, but pups are not stupid they learn quick.
Back to top Go down
stella_staffy
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:16 am

Brill thanks for all the fab adivce. i did go onto another site that gave me advice of spray her in the face, bite her ears ect. it was awfull id never do that. Im looking forward to getting her crate. Fingers crossed she wont go to the toilet in it. My kitchen should no longer smell like puppy wee and poop. So what im going to do is if she bites get a nasty voice and say no. If she persists ill move her out the room for a few mins. I was told that if i put her out the room its not learning her annything is that right? My husband is off work for the next 4 weeks so fingers crossed i can nip this in the bud. I think iv gone wrong because if i pick her up and she growls i will put her down because i think she just doenst wana cuddle. If im not in the mood i can say but she cant can she so i thaught that was her way of saying leave me alone mum. i thaught that was fine. but now shes going to hafto get used to it. :)
Back to top Go down
Vix
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:17 am

Hi Stella
sounds like youre having quite a problem and one that needs sorting pretty quickly. am putting my firm Dog trainer hat on
the "ouch" isnt working, it doesnt work with all dogs, some think its fun and it sounds like your pup has turned it into a game :) you say when other dogs dont want to play with her they just ignore her; well this is what you need to do, along with an "ah ah!" just as she bite or is about to bite, stand up so she cant nip at your hands and turn your back on her, do NOT give her any attention not even eye contact until she has got the message and walked away. if she persist on jumping up and wont calm down, put her in another room.
You need to practise your firm voice, dont get panicky and dont get wound up, be very matter of fact about it.
pups dont growl to show you theyre the boss, yes they will push boundaries but mostly its something they do to say "i dont like this please stop" so please dont think shes trying to dominate, i think shes just VERY confused, but yes i do agree she is pushing boundaries also, this is why you need to stay firm :)
im glad youve decided to get her a crate it will be a god send.

go to this website: argh! cant put up a link, ok google NILIF and click on the first link and follow ALL instructions
also if you need someone to talk to, ask Jo, staffylover for my website addy, email and phone number, i would be happy to talk to you if you feel you need it :)

there is a lot of good advice on here but i feel some is conflicting, i deff thin you need to stop with the "ouch" youve tried it for long enough and it isnt working, also try to get her around other older dog as much as possible as they will do a much better job at teaching her manners

good luck Stella

Vicki
Dawes Paws Dog Training

[url][/url]
Back to top Go down
Vix
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:19 am

stella_staffy wrote:
I think iv gone wrong because if i pick her up and she growls i will put her down because i think she just doenst wana cuddle. If im not in the mood i can say but she cant can she so i thaught that was her way of saying leave me alone mum. i thaught that was fine. but now shes going to hafto get used to it. :)

yes it usually is them saying "leave me alone" BUT she needs to learn that nothing bad is going to happen and you need to learn not to give in to her, if every time she growls you put her down or back off, she learns "that worked, i'll do it again"
Back to top Go down
Vix
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:23 am

aha! sussed it!
http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
my website: http://www.dawespaws.com/index.html all of my contact info can be found on there :)
apologies if im not allowed to link to my own website, again contact Jo, Staffylover, if removed :)
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 11:01 am

no problems with your links hun x
Back to top Go down
stella_staffy
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

Im actually really supprised my son was at crech this morning so i spent time with stella. She was running outside chasing the rabbit every time she did it i picked her up she growled i egnored it said a firm NO and baught her in the house for 5 mins n let her out again if she went near i did it again. It took me 27 times and lots of treats but now she leaves the bunny im really chuffed with her. I have tried the egnore her and turn away when shes biting me and shes jumping round like an idiot looking verry confused pulling on my jeans then shes giving up and turning her nose up at me and going off. I feel really bad and wana give her a big smooch but i think this may work. Is it right that you should walk a dog for 5 mins each month of there life? I walk stella for about 30 mins each day. and twice a week for an hour down the river?
Back to top Go down
stella_staffy
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

i think shes getting the message
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31850

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:04 pm

Well done x
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    Tue 20 Jul 2010, 9:06 pm

Yes it is right, they should get 5 minutes for every month of their life upto a year but i think its ok once they reach 6 month. They shouldnt be bounding up and down stairs either too young.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stella the staff.    

Back to top Go down

stella the staff.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2