Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 8:15 pm

Todays walk to the park was a disaster...I'm so angry!!!
It took me 25 mins to get Loomis onlead and only because she ran over to a guy with an alsation pup why grabbed her for me.
It's a huge backward step in her behaviour offlead. we often do recall training which involves me and other half calling her between us and rewarding. She has had a long lead for months now, she has approached other people and dogs and is very happy, friendly and excited. We would clip her on and never encourage her to approach others by rewarding her ignoring them and correcting her interest in them.
SHe loves her flirt pole so I now take that to the park and She is on lead until time to play with flirtpole and then clipped back on for the walk home, trouble is now she has become wise to me trying to clip her and is moving away. Every time! I tried turning my back, I tried walking off, I even got on the floor at one point but she wouldn't come anywhere near. This ignoring me and running over to people and dogs is really worrying me, she ran over to 2 muzzled dogs once and bouncing all over them, it was obvious they where angry but she took no notice what so ever. Luckily the guy was very understanding and since that scare about 2 months ago we upped the recall training and started with the flirt pole.
I really don't know what to do, part of me never wants to let her off lead again. She is not treat focused and this makes it very difficult. SHe is 1 tomorrow, myers is 6 months and very well behaved off lead, he stays around you and has no problem being clipped back on lead. Poor sod spent half his walk leashed to a goal post whining because I was trying to grab Loomis!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 8:23 pm

i really done know what to suggest hun other than a long training lead she will have the freedom but still controlled hun
we bought buffy one thatw as well over 50ft long to long to be honest but really good we used it for her training if we spotted another dog we would let her see it to and if she didnt come the first time i called we would give it a gentle tug just to remind her

other than this hun i have not got a clue as ive never experienced it i am allways alert and i see another dog she is called before she spots it and to be honest they could come up to her nose when she had her noseball and she didnt care less she was more focused on her own ball
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 8:37 pm

Again as with Jo I can only suggest back onto a long lead?

Only thing I can offer is that Maizie went a bit like this at a similiar age but has improved again because we got really strict and started treating her like a puppy again. But Amy at 13 months is now doing the same.

We've tried everything as well, it is so frustrating chasing her around a field banghead
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 8:44 pm

Its a nightmare but you know what I think we are all more nervous because of the dogs we have and because of how we perceive other people are gonna be and I am sure that stops us from being as relaxed as we should be. Kassi is so people orientated and is still on a longline unless there is absolutely no one around.
Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 8:53 pm

Gosh I do feel for you I really do. Its a difficult one as I am also going through some difficult times with Georgie. I now get up at 5.30am and take her to the park, knowing there is no one about so I can let her off lead. first thing I do when at the park BEFORE I let her off lead is give her a treat so she knows I have goodies. She loves her ball/wanger thing and only gets that when she goes to the park, never anywhere else. First thing she does is toilet, then we play with the ball, I throw it in one direction and run in the opposite. At that time she will run towards me, I call her and throw my arms open, when she comes back I treat and do this loads of times. If she starts to wander off, I run away and zig zag from her and she follows. I cback away, I run away, and zig zag and then at the last moment I shout sit, grab collar, clip on lead and treat.

If I go on a long walk like tonight I give her a treat, let her off lead but constantly check ahead for other dogs, the moment I spot one I do my recall and treat, (backup is squeaky toy). I pop lead on, get her to sit, other dog goes by, I treat, I take off lead and run in opposite direction AWAY from other dog it does work but my god its tiring. All this on my own and no partner, but you really have to go back to basics, Staffies are very intelligent dogs. I am taking mine to Agility soon to flec her brain a little more, also dont just do recall, do sit, down position and stay do as many different things as you can. But running in opposite direction (use squeeky toy to get that little bit of distraction). Other than that, I have used a control collar (I know they are controversial but it didnt work for me the squeeky did)

Let us know how you get on
Back to top Go down
Maistaff
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1075

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

Hey you

I would suggest one to one walking and spending time just you and Loomis.

I would also try getting her to associate you taking her by the collar and catching her with other things such as treats, a game of tug or both. Anything but just going back on the lead top go home.

Periodically when i am out with my thre i recall them all for fuss and attention and then make a game of letting them go again winding them up saying are you ready ready ready and then saying go go go as i let go . The love it and it sends them in to scooby do runs LOL. To be fair as mad as it sounds the dogs all love it

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 9:16 pm

Is there anything that she SERIOUSLY likes food or toy wise.
Ruby used to be exactly the same hun and it did take alot of practice to get her how she is now. Shes still not 100% but so much better than she used to be. She will occasionally bound towards people but comes straight back when she realises
We tried everything with Ruby with no results until we found out she would come back for her squeaky ball so she was but on lead and then rewarded with her ball.
So id recommend trying as many things as possible until u find one she loves, it may take time and money but it would be worth it in the end.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Tue 27 Jul 2010, 11:52 pm

As has already been said can only suggest the use of the long line, We had to go back with Kai at one point and we used the long line and a clicker that seemed to sort him out really quickly although Kai is very food orientated. Or you could start again with a whistle?

Also maybe grab her collar or make a fuss petting her every time she comes back, but don't clip on her lead so she doesn't associate you touching her with going home.

Like Alex says is there anything she loves?
Kai has a mini space hopper and he would do anything for it, maybe find something and keep it with you for emergencies
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Wed 28 Jul 2010, 10:06 am

Hello

Firstly don't panic or become disheartened - this happens to the best of us around this age - so you're not alone.

Don't give up or become fearful of letting Loomis of lead in the future - however for now as already suggested - use a long line and do one to one training and start in the garden -

Allow Loomis to explore garden on long line - call her once - if she doesn't come back - say nothing - reel in long line - ask Loomis to sit - take hold of collar - and lots of fuss and praise - really over do it

Repeat several times xx

Then try without long line in garden - if it doesn't work - back to long line

I say take hold of collar each time - as some dogs do associate holding collar with TIME TO GO HOME - and some little monkey's get so close then run off -

Does Loomis have a favourite toy - if yes - use this upon recall - it may just help get her to come back -

Once the garden starts to work - try nad find a park for example or a piece of grass - and repeat above -

Once you feel confident - in a very quiet are area - try off lead again -

As I mention don't get down - you have done nothing wrong - it happens to the best of us -

Keep calm - good luck xx
Back to top Go down
Rosie01
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Wed 28 Jul 2010, 11:34 am

I completely understand this! Tyler has been at this point for a few months, he went from having the perfect recall to total ignorance! We now only let him off when we can see there are no people or dogs as this is what makes his run away. Last week however he ran off in a field where there was no one about and found a hole in the hedge which he promptly disappeared through. My oh found him on the housing estate by the field where he had sat down with a group of 10yr old kids. I can only think how bad that could have been if an adult had seen him running toward them and it really frightened us.
So we have a long line, although I find it impossible to use in honesty because our two get tangled up in each others oops
Janna's recall is not too bad but we can't let her off without Ty as she just runs at him continuously winding him up. It is such a problem because we end up with him on lead so much and he just doesn't get the exercise he needs. If only I could work out how to use the long line!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Fri 30 Jul 2010, 6:20 pm

Hi Zoe

I cannot add anything to what has been said.

I am always cautious when Reuben is off lead and regularly tell him to come and give him a treat or his tennis ball for coming back as I know he would be off if he saw another dog.

When I was recall training I did it regulalry in the house as well, if I was in another room I would shout come and again reward when he came to me.

Would she be interested in some cooked chicken or liver as a treat which could be used for the command 'come' only so she knows she gets something extra yummy?

Could you also practice your recall in an enclosed area where there are distractions, like a tennis court or similar in your local park?

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   Sun 01 Aug 2010, 12:39 am

Hi

The way I taught mine with putting the lead on was to call him over saying 'enzo lead on', let him sniff a treat but dont release it, stroke his head and release the treat at the same time and then hold his collar and put the lead on and lots of praise.

However I noticed you said he is not interested in treats, enzo isn't that much either, how about cheese or something with a strong smell.

I know what you mean about how they become wise, when I practise recal before enzo decides to come back he will look around like to say 'why where is the dog'. They are bloody clever things!

Good luck x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!   

Back to top Go down

please help, huge setback with Loomis' recall!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1