Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

How will castration effect enzo?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: How will castration effect enzo?   Wed 04 Aug 2010, 10:38 pm

Will it calm him down if he is castrated and help with his dog aggression issue?

And also how will it change him if at all?

ta
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Wed 04 Aug 2010, 10:45 pm

Myers is 7 months now he was done at just over 5 months. Only thing that's changed is he doesn't mount (well try to) Loomis anymore. HAven't noticed anything else to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 1:10 am

i cant help sorry never had a male
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:42 am

Each dog is different and can be affected differently. Reuben was done at 7 months and all it stopped was him humping my sister.
He can still be temperamental with some dogs and still scent marks everywhere Chloe or Bess have been and recently he has started to hump through excitement when playing with hubby
It can take a few months for all his hormones to settle down so you may not know immediately if it has made any difference

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 11:46 am

It did calm Kai down a little, and he was neutered at two although in general it should be done earlier to sort issues.

It stopped Diesel from humping Kai

Other than that no rreal differences although it can prevent certain medical issues when they're older
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:25 pm

Buddy did calm down alot when he was done.

But it doesnt work for all, a friend of mine got his staff done (he was turning DA) he is still DA, and still as hyper as before.

This does NOT fix aggression issues, sometimes it can, but dont rely on it.
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:37 pm

Reason for asking is just because I have heard different things. I took enzo out with my friends dog and he kept mounting her dog, after reading up on this it seems its a dominance thing so I think this is associated with dominance aggression. I've been reading up on how to become the pack leader so this is what I'm consentrating on at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Wendy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 2001

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 2:47 pm

Ollie was castrated last December, he was 10 when he had it done, he had to be castrated as he developed Testicular Cancer, for that reason I would strongly recommend to any owner to have the animal castrated / spayed. I do want Poppy spayed, she is 7, but at the moment the vet won't operate due to the risk as she's still slightly overweight therefore she's on a diet.

Ollie has'nt really calmed down from the castration although he is an old dog, he does still scent everywhere when go out, Ollie can be DA but this is only a recent thing over the last few months and I think thats just because he is old and in some discomfort with his arthritis x
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:06 pm

Oh right, I will definatley be having a chat with my vet about it and as I know I won't be ever studding him out I think it would be a good idea.
What does the scenting mean? Is this a dominance thing too? I think enzo does this he constantly stops at every post and tree!
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:09 pm

StaffySel wrote:
Reason for asking is just because I have heard different things. I took enzo out with my friends dog and he kept mounting her dog, after reading up on this it seems its a dominance thing so I think this is associated with dominance aggression. I've been reading up on how to become the pack leader so this is what I'm consentrating on at the moment.

My bitch and my dog both still mount one another. I dont think ive got a more dominent dog out the both and neither as aggressive. I think its just one of those things. Is Enzo already DA, or is it just the mounting of your friends dog?
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

Yeah he is DA. Only a recent thing so just trying to understand it all.
I took him out with my friends dog and noticed he kept doing this and it waas causing a fight again.
Back to top Go down
kellie
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 3:48 pm

I had my dog castrated at 15 months before he was a nightmare always humping anything he could get his paws on lol, also he would sit at the door after walks howling to get out the last straw was him peeing on my bed
six weeks after his op he was a completely different dog so calm not bothered with other dogs he will happily stop for a sniff and then walk on no more humping no more stopping at every lampost, bush or tree to pee either
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 6:33 pm

Thats great news Kellie and just shows how it affects each dog differently. If you have no plans to breed Selena then personally I would have him done just for the health benefits alone

Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Thu 05 Aug 2010, 10:33 pm

Castration calm bubbles down at first, but then he was back to his normal self after a few months. I would say the only way to calm your dog down is a good training school. I would say it would stop him humping things. Most dogs that have bin done have stopped humping.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Fri 06 Aug 2010, 9:37 am

My boy didnt hump at all before he was neutered - but then he was only 9 months old. He tries humping at least 3/4 times a day now, but its when they are playing, and she soon spins it round and gives it back. lol!
Back to top Go down
Bubbles-mum
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1916

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   Fri 06 Aug 2010, 10:15 am

Toni wrote:
My boy didnt hump at all before he was neutered - but then he was only 9 months old. He tries humping at least 3/4 times a day now, but its when they are playing, and she soon spins it round and gives it back. lol!
My boy was humping things when he was only 3 months old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How will castration effect enzo?   

Back to top Go down

How will castration effect enzo?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1