Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Cody's balls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:31 pm

Lovely title eh? lol!

Daisy was due to be spayed a few weeks ago but I have not had her done as I really didn't think it was a good idea to move her so soon after an op, especialy given just how sensetive the girl already is.

I had pretty much decided that Cody would be getting his balls chopped off after we move. I'm 100% sure now as his behaviour is just a bloody nightmare while we are out and about. He just will not calm down even with a halti or GL. I am sick of being dragged along when he sees children or black men lol! I am really hoping that castration will calm him a little as I am not enjoying walking him now.

Also, slightly worrying, I have noticed he has a lump on one ball. Not really sure if it's meant to be there but I am getting it checked asap.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:38 pm

I wouldnt bet on neutering, calming him down when walking, or at all tbh.

It worked with Buddy, but ive heard of it making no difference, and even worse.... worse.

IMHO, the only way to ease the walkies times is good old training.

Hope the lump is nothing, am sure it will be. spinner smile
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:42 pm

I have been trying so hard with the training but as soon as he sees a person it's like he just cannot focus on anything else other than saying hello banghead

I'm gonna put lots of effort in once we move and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:45 pm

Yeah, they do know how to get to u. WHen u put all the effort in and u get to the point where u just dont wana walk them no more. Stupid dogs hey... why cant they just understand english, it would make it alot easier lol!

What does he do when he sees people, is it pulling to get to them?

Do u walk him alone? Or with Daisy, and is Daisy the same?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:48 pm

Hi Louise

Hope the lump is something and nothing. The castration may help calm him down but it can take time and every dog reacts differently. Buster (swiss dog) was a completely different dog when he had the chemical castration but his issues were more aggression.

As for the pulling on the lead I agree with Toni and it is training that is needed, I doubt the castration would help with this.

Do you take treats or toys with you when you walk? You need something more interesting for him when he see's people, maybe try and get him to sit when you approach someone and give him the treat for sitting and remaining calm.

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:52 pm

I walk Cody usually a few steps ahead of Kay who walks Daisy.

Daisy ignore everyone and is as good as gold.

Cody just pulls and yaps and jumps and basically just goes mental and the only way I can seem to control him right now is to just drag him the other way. This is all with a GL too! He will just twist and turn in it.

Wierd thing is, once he gets to the person, if he is wearing the GL he will drop to the floor all submissive and stay put scratch It's just the time inbetween seeing the person and getting to them that he goes mental. It's getting very embarrasing too as I look like I have no control over him, and really I don't :cries:

Jo, I have tried butI find treats don't work as he is not really that into his food while out. I have noticed he loves to play tug while out and thought about maybe distracting him with a toy so he sits then give him the toy but as he likes to play tug I can't encourage him to pull while on the lead.... umm
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 7:01 pm

The tug toy can be a good idea, but if he gets that worked up. Will u be able to get him to calm down after that?

When u see someone coming into sight, make Cody sit, if you need to, stand between him and the person, with a treat in your hand, so he can smell it but not get it. Just talk to him, til the person as passed, if he doesnt look/cry/try to pull, give him the treat and praise. If he does anything unwanted. Carry on to the next. It will take ALOT of time, his set in his ways... BUT it is possible to change him. And Im sure u will get there.
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 7:06 pm

I will try.

Maybe some sliced chicken or cheese might do the trick, or even apple, he loves apple.

I will really work on it and let you know how we get on

fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

I find liver works a treat. I cut it into tiny pieces and bake it in the oven, alternatively Spam is great as it is really smelly

Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 7:24 pm

Kassi was/is very people orientated. I got round it by telling her to wait each time someone walked by. Now she just sits or lays down after much bum wiggling and waits, she knows they will either fuss her or go on by and she accepts this.

It takes a long time and you have to meet a fair few people on the way who act as your human guinea pigs although they do not know that at the time.

Back to top Go down
Cleasanta
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 314

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:25 pm

Neutering might not control the walking behaviour.

Neutering will help eliminate male behaviours like humping...cocking leg inside to mark territory etc.

I think the walking behaviour is more of a training issue to be honest. If it was because he was getting aggressive with other male dogs, then yes...that behaviour might just be lessened by neutering, but there are no guarantees.

People have this perception neutering will calm their dogs down. It will calm them down in the concept of sexual and reproduction behaviours. Some people think they will get this couch potato after their neutering, but I am sorry to say...neutering doesn't change their energy levels or personality.

If you have an aggressive dog...it will still be aggressive after neutering. If you have an anxious and obsessive dog...it will still be that after neutering.

Story...we had a male Rottweiler. I loved this dog! He was show trained...obedience trained on a daily basis...and had begun some small amount of Schutzhund training. Odin was the product of incorrect breeding (mum was nervous...dad was extremely dominant). He had been portraying aggressive and dominant behaviours since his was a small pup, but I had an enormous rapport with this dog. Out of the blue one day...he went for a lady when she walked past us at a Show...2 days later his balls were chopped off. I had this belief his behaviours would lessen, but they didn't..they got worse after neutering. 2 days before his first birthday...he went for our youngest son...then for our oldest son and finally turned on my husband...all within 1 1/2 hour. He was returned to the breeder with an extremely sad heart.

All I am saying is...unless Cody's behaviours are directly linked to be entire...I doubt neutering will help...sorry.

Sumo was desexed at 11 months when he was retired from the show ring...he is the same dog as before. He still humps Ruby...he is still a goofball...he is still full-on and has LOADS of energy...he still drags me down the street when he sees something interesting. The only thing that changed is that he can not reproduce.

Good luck mate
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:36 pm

icant coment on the neuturing sorry hun never experienced a male dog

the walking try a sqeeky toy in your pocket when he starts to pull squeek to gte his attention
or some nice smelly treat as jo says liver is good let him see where you put it and keep a piece in your hand when he is walking nice treat him occasionally , i watched a man do it at the last bully walk and was amased how well the dog walked ,
Back to top Go down
Cleasanta
Silver Forum Member
Silver Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 314

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:02 pm

As for the GL or halti...be careful with these things if you do not have complete control over your dog and they still tend to pull. They can severely damage their necks if they are still pulling, because you will get a pull to the side and their necks can get injured. This link is taken from K9 Professionals here in Australia. I trust Steve Courtney. He has extensive knowledge and is training police dogs here. Please read this about head halters: http://www.k9pro.com.au/pages.php?pageid=31

GL really aren't a training tool...it is a management tool if you know what I mean. They do not fix a pulling behaviour...they manage it. If I put a GL on Sumo...sure he stops pulling. The reason for this is...the top strap sits over the very sensitive part of their muzzle that has loads of nerve endings and is quite uncomfortable...it also shuts down their drive and it is like walking a robot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cody's balls   

Back to top Go down

Cody's balls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1