Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Running into people...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rosie01
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice on a problem we are having with Janna at the moment. Last week I was out walking the dogs with my Mum, Janna was off lead and came running back, full pelt and ran into my Mum sending her flying. Her size means that she hit my Mum in the knee and caused some ligament and soft tissue damage. Last night I was out with my OH practicing recall with Janna, she ran at me and did the same thing, hit me in the knee and sent me flying. I am not sure what damage she has done but it definitely hurts and I am limping!

Has anyone else had this problem? I just don't know where to begin solving it but obviously it is a big deal. So far she only does it to people she is walking with, she has a fantastic recall but no spacial awareness - she will knock into you when she is running past. Obviously she did not mean to hurt anyone, it was a total accident. I think last night was made worse by the fact it was dark to be fair but when she hit my Mum it wasn't.

Sorry for the long post, trying to explain fully in the hope someone can help.

Thanks xxx
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 5:06 pm

Well Daisy does this to me and my hubby all the time she is just a clumsy mare.

But if you are having concerns contact your vet to check out her sight, Daisys is fine she is just dopey.

Hope nothing is wrong with her just purely like my little girl a clumsy doglet.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 5:21 pm

You could try getting her to sit when she comes back.

Diesel used to do this and it hurts lol, although it was normally when playing with a toy so we taught him to sit when he brought the toy back and wouldn't throw it until he sat which saved us getting demolished lol
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 5:24 pm

it seems to be they dont look when running suki did it to me when she was 6mths old and 25kgs she body slammed me at full speed and badly tore my medial ligament in my knee it put me in hospital and on crutches for a good while (when i used them that is ) thankfully at 40kgs i,m dam glad she hasnt done it since of i,d be in traction for months
i think its more a case of being aware they have the tendancy to do it and keeping out the way which is what i do cos she really dont look when shes at full pelt its not something you can train them out of really
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 6:29 pm

Cassie hit me in the back off the legs and knocked me off my feet, I landed with a thump on my backside, which hurt, she has also hit me in the legs when running towards me, I just became very quickly more aware of her when she was running towards me and I would move out of the way, she did this up to about 18months old, she then learnt to stop or avoid me luckily, she just got better at judging distance.

I too did wonder about her eye sight as Cassie had cherry eye in both eyes as a puppy, so needed surgery, but her eye sight checked out fine, worth getting your dogs eye sight checked though.

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 6:54 pm

Cody used to do this all the time but we are practising his recall alot now and I have done as Claire suggested, I make him sit as soon as he gets to me. He has picked this up very quickly and now slows down enough to sit right infront of me.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23449

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 7:10 pm

Ouch goney I hope your mum and you are gonna be ok hun xxx

Sorry can't advise on this one besides maybe asking them to sit on recall xx
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 7:17 pm

I would teach her to stop on command or sit, using a hand signal with the command. So as you shout stop, raise your arm, you should eventually be able to move onto a hand signal alone which she will be able to see from a distance

Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Tue 19 Oct 2010, 9:23 pm

I usually have a treat in my hand and lower it to his level so he sees it and then he slows down and sits before I release the treat.

The other way I do it is to put both hands in the air when he is far away and shout the command 'come' then I draw him in, so as he is running back to me my hands are lowering and coming together until eventually he is in front of me and my hands are in front of his nose with a treat.

Difficult to explain but hope that makes sense
spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Rosie01
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Wed 20 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

Thanks for all the replies - so helpful! Leg is a bit better today luckily although it would be nice to straighten it at some point! Think we will pop her into the vets as well as she gets a lot of eye infections so it could be related.
Will start working on the training later - both dogs have their kennel club good citizen silver exam tomorrow so lots of practice to be done! umm Not at all convinced we will pass - the two minute down is proving a bit tricky! x
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   Wed 20 Oct 2010, 12:20 pm

Good luck with the exams, I am sure they will be fine xx

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running into people...   

Back to top Go down