Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Big Problem :o(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm

Since Cody has been eating properly again, I have noticed he has started getting a litle food possesive. He is fine if I go near him but if Daisy or the cat go near him when his food is down he will tell them off. He is very gentle with the cat and just sort of grunts and nudges her but with Daisy he will full on charge and growl at her.

I decided for saftey of all the animals to feed Cody in the kitchen with the door shut and only let him out once all food bowls had been lifted. Daisy has always been a nasty cow around food and has always told Cody off if he goes anywhere near her. In fact Daisy has even stolen Cody's food them had a go at him if he tried to get it back so what I am now going to tell you has really shocked me.....

I lifted all the food bowls this morning and let Cody out. He came into the front room and Daisy ran away from him and hid under the table. 5 mins later she came out and went over to Cody and all hell broke loose. He just attacked her. It was so scary. She fought back and for 5 mins they where having a full blown fight and I couldn't split them up! Cody didn't have his collar on and I kept trying to grab his scruff but I was in real danger of getting bitten. The sounds they where making where horrific. In the end I had to kick Cody to get him off Daisy (not good I know but I felt I had no choice) I shut Cody out the room and check Daisy. She was fine just soaked in drool and shook up. Cody was also fine but I can't look at him right now. I'm so upset. I'm scared to leave them alone now and Kay was in the room when it happened and is now terried of Cody.

Sorry for the long post but I am just so shocked and upset. I am now keeping Cody's collar on him incase it happens again although I am not letting them near each other right now blush
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 12:59 pm

How awful for you Louise, hope you are OK.

How has Cody been in himself recently? Apart from the food issues has been been his usual self?
Do you have any idea why Daisy ran away when he first came into the room?
First of all I agree that they should not be left alone together and you should cage one or both of them when you are not in or leave them in seperate rooms.

Is Daisy the more dominant one of the two? He could be trying to assert his authority over her, has there been any other incidents where he has been taking her toys or pushing her out of the way to lie where she is?

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 1:05 pm

Cody has been fine in himself, no difference.

I don't know if Daisy has sensed a change in him but when ever his food is around (before I started putting them in different rooms) she would not try to steal any but would go and hide under the table.

Daisy has always been more dominant but maybe things are changing. Cody has always tried to take toys off Daisy but she would never let him and would tell him off.

He just seems to have a look in his eye now, as silly as that may sound, and I really don't trust him.....
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 1:12 pm

Louise

What dont you trust about him hun? Do you mean with Daisy or with you? I know it has been a shock to you but in the animal kingdom it is how hirearchy is set out, as shocking as it may seem.

It could be that the dominance is shifting to Cody, however if it is you need to manage it and keep an eye on them so that things dont get out of hand, he has not know that you are in charge and it is not acceptable to attack Daisy.

Now may be the time to consider neutering him, I suspect he will be full of hormones and this could be why he is behaving as he is. I am not saying this will be the be all and end all of sorting the problem but it could help.

Hopefully it will be a one off but I do think you need to be prepared for some hard work if this happens again.

Try and remain calm around Cody, he will be able to pick up on your feelings. I would see how things go over the next few days and see if you can see what is causing the reaction if it happens again.

I really hope it was a one off. Try not to worry, we are all here for you if you need anything

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 1:20 pm

Thanks Jo.

No I do trust him round me 100% and right now he seems to know that it was a bad thing to do as I have let him back in and he wont really go near Daisy but keeps coming up to me for a cuddle as if to say sorry.

Daisy seems to be staying out the way for now but I will keep a close eye on them. I think it is definatly a food thing so will have to be very careful with them both around any food.

Cody is 100% getting castrated after xmas. It's top of my list. Just going to get him done here on the estate at my local vet as it's much easier. I have nearly saved up the money but would like to wait till Jan if possible but he will be done.

thanks
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 1:36 pm

Horrible experience for everyone involved including the dogs. group hug

Jo's advice on keeping them seperate is the best advice to start with.

Also I have to advise too do not be scared of Cody - he needs to know more than ever now that you are in charge.

Second thing you need to do Louise is have a large bowl / jug of water and a heavy blanket on hand easy to get to quickly. In the event they kick off again throw the water over them and then if necessary throw a blanket over them to distract them. It might help to put a harness on them to give you something to get hold of away from their faces and teeth.

This could be a one off - they have a great relationship and if you act quickly to control them both they could just as easily return to normal very quickly.

Daisys' hiding is the first big clue you have that something might kick off - if you see her do this pick her up and put her somewhere you know she feels safe away from Cody. Then quietly and calmly go back to Cody ad get him to do soemthing where you know he will do as he is told i.e SIT / LAY / BED whatever. Remind him you are in charge and you will not stand for any bad behaviour.

In terms of heirarchy - you are the Boss - Daisy has been doing this job and it looks as though she may not be winning anymore - you need to step in and be in charge of both of them.

Also I agree with Jo - I think you really need to get Cody neutered - if you think about how much he has matured to look at imagine all those raging hormones inside.

Whatever you do please do not put your hands in to seperate them if they kick off again - I made his mistake and I still have the scars from 3 deep tooth punctures in my hand.
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 1:55 pm

Liz, thanks for all that advice. I will take it all onboard ta

Gonna log off now and let Kay come on but will be back later and let you know how things are.
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 2:08 pm

great advise from jo and wids
i think its lets see whos boss thing
the sooner hes castrated the better
will the vet not let you pay weekly ?
so you can have it done sooner ?
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 2:14 pm

i cant say anything hun ive never experienced this but the advice off jo and liz sounds excellent stuff to go with and ive allready made notes for later on just in case

talking of neuturing we have just been discussing rizla with vet poor baby not go plum yet and we allready talking of taking them away
she has advised if we can wait until he is a year old then thats brill as he will be fully mature apparentley ( heres me thinking staffys never grow up lol )
but incase of issues such as humping a lot being a pain in the ass ( her words) or aggressive towards buffy in any way then he is to go at anytime from 6 months old
because he is a fiesty pup though and buffy wont put him in his place she is expecting a bit of argueing between them
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 2:23 pm

Sound advice from Jo and Liz , cant think of anything to add, why not try the dogs trust, they give out vouchers towards the neutering and with what you already have saved, you could perhaps get cody neutered now.

group hug

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 3:50 pm

Hi Allie. I could use the dog's trust or try the Mayhew but it's a real hassle to get there as I don't drive. I might even have a word with my mum and sister as they have both offered to help out with the cost as they both agree it should be done so I will keep you posted as he is due his boosters in a few weeks so I may get him booked in for the chop asap!

Linda, I never knew any vets let you pay weekly. I will ask when I'm there.

Well, so far both dogs are being angels and are snuggled up on the sofa together next to me! I'm dreading feeding them tonight but will use all the advice given and fingers crossed it won't kick off ......
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 3:55 pm

people often pay weekly around here you have to arrange it with the vet first.
if you can get him done free at dogs trust or mayhew and can you get some-one to drive, why not hire a car for the day, i dont know the cost but worth a look ? or ask at the local dog shelter for help.
castration doesn't work instantly and takes a few weeks for the hormones to subside.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 5:04 pm

Great advice so far

Liz is right, YOU need to take charge of them both, starting with walking them and making Cody walk properly ( I remember you saying recently he's a nightmare to walk) also with feeding time, I would try getting them back into the same room and to be fed at the same time or cody will think its ok what he's doing.

Just don't get too stressed about it hun I'm sure if you take control you can sort it out soon.

I would also definetly get Cody neutered as soon as you can.
Back to top Go down
Maistaff
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1075

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 5:49 pm

Louise what a nightmare for you

Everyone's posts have been fab so far and i can't add any more info than what has already been said.

I hope you get it sorted soon
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:11 pm

Well I just fed the dogs (still in seperate rooms for now) and as soon as I let Cody back in with Daisy, she ran and hid under the table again and Cody was glaring at her. I did as Liz suggested and let Daisy up to sit with me where she felt safe and I told Cody to lay down in his bed.

Cody is now chewing a toy in bed and Daisy is asleep next to me. I'm just hoping that once Daisy gets up off the sofa, the moment will have passed and they will be fine.

It seems feeding time is definatly triggering the tension.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:14 pm

Hi Louise

Firstly try not be scared honey - they will sense it - before feeding place the collars on them then IF it ever happens again you have a better chance of getting hold -

You have been given great advice but you and Kay must take charge of them if that makes sense

It is very upsetting when fights happen - I have been there when 2 have broken out and had problems seperating them but you have to be really firm and tell them both its not acceptable -

Just be more vigilant - this fight doesn't mean to say they wont live in harmony - you just need to keep on top of them

Big hugs Louise - it is upsetting and scary

How are you feeling now xx
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:20 pm

Hi Suzie. Thanks for the advice. I just posted an update a few seconds before your post lol!

I'm trying not to feel on edge about it but I worry about my poor Daisy! I don't like to see her this way. She is usually a right tough cookie and I hate to see her hide in a corner.

She just went to get down off the sofa and he was really glaring at her like he was gonna have her so I told him in a big voice to lay down and I placed her on the floor and he went to go over to her so again I told him to wait. She went and got a toy and he barked at her but his posture had changed and he looked to be playing. They are now running round happily together playing as usual.

Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:43 pm

Hi Louise

Its not bloody easy is it to stay calm - it is very upsetting but I am confident you can put Cody in his place -

You have done exactly the right actions and look at the result you have - well done you I am proud of you -

We do tend to think as our poochies as babies but its not until something like this happens it makes us sit up and realise -

I am stricter than I used to be xx
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:55 pm

I've only witnessed a slight spat between Ruby and Elsdon and that was over biscuits in my coat pocket - my fault, shouldn't leave them there. It was over in seconds and Elsdon backed off from Ruby but I went ballistic with them, shouted at them and made them both sit and stay until I released them. It is scary and I really understand how you are feeling but you have to be hard and be top dog and impose yourself on them. Be much harder than normal and they will respect that. You can't feel sorry for Daisy, it won't help but being tough on Cody will bring him round. Hope this helps and that you get it sorted, don't be frightened of him, he will sense that, be assertive but not aggressive. Sorry for long post but I hope it helps you.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 7:56 pm

And I should have added a big hug group hug
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 8:21 pm

Thanks everyone. group hug
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 8:41 pm

Keep us updated hun how you're getting on - any worries just shout so many of us have seen this and it can be managed.

It's very scary when you see it especially first time with your own dogs but it sounds like you've made a really good start in letting them know you going to take control of the house. It is like Suzie says you and Kayleigh are the bosses not them xx
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 9:56 pm

Awww Louise sorry to here that youve had a rough time with them.
It must of been frightening for you all!
I cant offer anymore advice than has been given as it is all fab but just keep them supervised or if not seperated.
Im sure they will be best buddies again soon it just might take a bit of time for Daisy to become 100% confident around Cody again

Hugs xx

Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Fri 05 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm

Can't add anything to the good advice already posted, sorry you're having to go through this, must have been horrible for all of you =(
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   Sat 06 Nov 2010, 1:26 pm

How are they today Louise? x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Big Problem :o(   

Back to top Go down