Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

They just had another fight!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 12:51 pm

I bought my 2 a pigs ear each and let them eat it earlier. Cody ate his in the dog bed and Daisy took hers upstairs. I kept a close eye on both and once Cody had finished his I took Daisy's off her (which I have always done) and then let them do as they pleased.

Daisy came into the living room and went into the dog bed where Cody had eaten his. He tried to get back in the bed and she growled at him. I knew it was gonna happen as Cody's posture changed, his fur on his back went up and just as I was about to grab his collar he attacked her and she fought back as bloody usual. Luckily I was more in control this time. Shouted (well kinda screamed as I was still a bit shocked) NOOOOOOO, grabbed Cody's collar but again had to put my legs and whole body between them both to seperate them.

I took Cody out the room but also removed the dog bed as this was the cause of the problem as it smelt of the food. It's now obvious the agression is food related so I'm just going to have to be very careful.

Any advice again welcome. Feel free to tell me if I did anything wrong or give me any advice. Oh and Cody is getting the chop real soon as I visited the vets today. Just gonna write another thread about it lol!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31854

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 12:55 pm

Do they still have cages Louise? If you wanted to give treats them perhaps it is best they are given in their own cages and when they have eaten them let them out and close the cage doors so they cannot go into each others cages.

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 1:05 pm

Brilliant idea. The cages are not in use now but can easily be brought out the loft!

I could also feed them their meals in the crates too and do the same, close the door after.

good job
Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 1:46 pm

im so sorry your having this, its awful , good idea from jo.
very wise of you to have him castrated as soon as possible
hope you get the money together soon x
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 2:00 pm

gwen does the same as jo suggests with her dogs as stella is food aggressive hun and it works for them so hope it works for you hun xxx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23377

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 3:07 pm

Hi Honey

Crates are a great idea - but this happended after they had eaten - and reading between the lines it was Daisy who started the fight due to her growling - I know you removed Cody - but what did you do to Daisy?

I know its difficult AND PLEASE DO NOT think I am saying what you did was wrong IT WASN'T - but when Daisy went into Cody's bed - I would probably remove her next time as she claimed his space where he was eating - so Cody was telling Daisy that he was there 1st -

Gosh I hope I am making sense lol

Please do not be mad or upset with me hun - I am just trying to make you see why the fight broke out -

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 3:16 pm

Understand completely what you are saying and I did think the exact same thing and was going to ask on here because the only problem is that Daisy has always been the dominant one and so far Cody has accepted that and submitted to her.

Now he seems to try and dominate her when she growls after food so if I remove Daisy, would that not be telling Cody that by attacking her he is winning as by removing Daisy I have allowed him to become the dominat one in that situation?

Not sure if I'm making sense now lol!

Oh and advice always taken greatfully so please don't worry xx
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 3:17 pm

Oh and I have aslo washed the bed to get rid of the treat smell so it doesn't happen again if I put the bed back down!
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 3:35 pm

suziet wrote:
Hi Honey

Crates are a great idea - but this happended after they had eaten - and reading between the lines it was Daisy who started the fight due to her growling - I know you removed Cody - but what did you do to Daisy?

I know its difficult AND PLEASE DO NOT think I am saying what you did was wrong IT WASN'T - but when Daisy went into Cody's bed - I would probably remove her next time as she claimed his space where he was eating - so Cody was telling Daisy that he was there 1st -

Gosh I hope I am making sense lol

Please do not be mad or upset with me hun - I am just trying to make you see why the fight broke out -

bit like kids suzie no good dea\ling with one and the other thinking oh its ok ill go and do that again
good point hun xx
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23377

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 4:30 pm

Thnaks Jo x

I am just hoping Louise doesn't mis read my point in the post - I just hate text at times as it can be mis read xxxx
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 4:31 pm

Suzie, I have replied above xx
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 4:57 pm

with having 6 kids i could see where you coming from and im sure as louise says she doesnt mind its all good we all here to help and suport one another xx
Back to top Go down
Alliecass
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 6762

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 5:22 pm

Great advice to use the crates for feeding treats etc, when I had two dogs Dinky was the dominant bitch, but when cassie matured she tried to take over the pecking order, I used to feed then in seperate rooms and rightly ot wrongly when cassie tried to take over I always removed Cassie, as dinky was an old dog and I didnt want her stressed out
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 6:43 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened again Louise. Perhaps crate feeding is the answer or perhaps they both need more discipline? Not sure what though. I am very strict at meal times, food goes down but nobody touches it until I say so and I sometimes make them wait at least a minute which may not sound long but there is usually a pile of drool on the floor from Elsdon. Hopefully getting Code neutered will help a lot. group hug
Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Tue 09 Nov 2010, 9:26 pm

Good advice already posted, we have the same tradition as Jan where the dogs watch me prepare their food, I put it down and no way are they allowed to eat it until I tell them so. I hope that neutering has the effect you desire Louise fingers crossed
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Wed 10 Nov 2010, 12:29 pm

Another tip someone gave me was to sit in their bed/crate once or twice a day for a while, so that this is yours and not theirs too? They can't be possessive about it then. spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Wed 10 Nov 2010, 4:36 pm

All of the above advice is great, but I would keep Cody away until Daisy has finished hers I would not take hers off her she must be thinking why am I not allowed to finish mine off.
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Wed 10 Nov 2010, 4:41 pm

Only reason I take hers off her is they are huge and she is little. If I left her with it I would probably have to wait 6 hours for her to finish a whole pig's ear lol!
Back to top Go down
Yarder
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 510

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Thu 11 Nov 2010, 6:57 pm

:( Hope you can sort it . . .

On another note have you ever bought pigs ear pieces? they may be better suited for daisy oreo has them but over in seconds lol . x
Back to top Go down
Tracie
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 5:47 pm

Great advice given already.
Food/bones etc is the only time my bitch Kia will start,we picked up on this very early on thank god,so have never had a full on scrap,few near missess.
PLEASE PLEASE INVEST IN A BREAKSTICK HUNNY.
Every bullbreed owner should have one,you can easy make your own as well.
You need to read up on how to use one properly as well.
I know this is a APBT site but gives you great advice.
www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html
Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:14 pm

Hi Tracie.

I have just started a thread about breaksticks as it's something I knew about but I only found out about them quite recently. I thought it would be interesting to see how many of our members know what one is or even own one.

I have used the link you posted too.

ta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: They just had another fight!   

Back to top Go down

They just had another fight!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1