Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Breaksticks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:12 pm

How many people here own a breakstick or know what one is?

I knew a little bit about them but I don't have one.

This link was posted by Tracie on my thread about Cody and Daisy fighting.

It's very interesting and I would be interested to hear your opinions.

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31916

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm

I was advised to get one many years ago when I had a DA dog, however having witnessed him having a fight with another dog I honestly dont know how you would get it in if it was a full blown fight

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:26 pm

Yeah, that did cross my mind too. I don't think I would want my hands anywhere near the mouth of a staffy, or any other dog, in a full blown fight.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31916

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm

Once I had Jack pinned down (i literally jumped on him and straddled over him) I had my hands in his mouth trying to prise his jaws open and I was badly bitten as he kept trying to close it and bite the other dog.
In that situation I would imagine a break stick would have come in handy although I would have needed a third hand

Back to top Go down
lindauk
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 9711

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm

i know of them and as you say very difficult to put into the dogs mouth.
Back to top Go down
Cassieloomismyers
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1159

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 15 Nov 2010, 11:25 pm

Good idea in theory...
I prefer to try and do everything I can beforehand to never be in that situation. I know It's not always possible but in an ideal world there would be no need for them. I would always use the 'choke' method of grabbing and twisting the collar if I had to separate a fight.
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 8:10 am

Like everything, does have problems, getting it into the dogs mouth... the collar method, what if their not wearing collars.

My 2 have never had a squabble, let alone a full blown fight, touch wood!
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 7814

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 8:53 am

i,ve never heard of them tbh although in my rescue days we had some aggressive dogs on from a local dog fighter and he always carried a thick stick this was 11yr ago so doubt they were breaksticks but of course we didnt really have the net like now so might well have been but iassume they were actually this sort of thing

personally i,ve never had the need as again its really hard to get them in the mouth you would need to be experienced in this type if issue to use them in the rescue if a dog did get another ie when working with them to see if they were da and they were staffies or pits then it was twist collar shout and use a single punch to the top of the head if it got that bad (that normally works but you have to get it right ) its a very hard thing to know how to be effective quickly enough to prevent damage being done

although i have also seen a broom handle used by a trained dog handler bringing a dog in that slipped collar and got another he grabbed the nearest thin so in theroy that would be like using a break stick i would think but it worked quickly
Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 9:05 am

I would personally find one difficult to use, especially in the middle of a fight.
But i think i would maybe have one just incase as it may help at the time :)

Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 10:05 am

I don't think I would ever have one, in the heat of the moment the last thing you are thinking of is trying to stick that in their mouths, my two have been attacked 3 times and have not needed one.

I also think that the possibility of misusing it is high and could cause more harm than good, if you are in a panic and stick it in the mouth incorrectly you could cause serious harm.
Back to top Go down
suziet
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 23446

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Tue 16 Nov 2010, 10:11 am

OMG I thought at 1st you meant Bread Sticks from Asda lol lol lol

Personally I wouldn't use tools like this - if not used correctly you may cause more harm or end up been bitten yourself

I have had to seperate 3 dogs (2 were mine) in a fight - not easy at all and very upsetting - but you need to really step it up and push each dog toward one another - as soon as they go for another bite push towards each other and release -

Try not to scream as this just makes the fight worse -

I think if you can read your poochies body language - you can 99% stop a fight before it starts xx
Back to top Go down
Tracie
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 22 Nov 2010, 1:36 am

You have to use them correctly of course,ive always had one,i actually got my late grandads that even back in the 40s they had them.
Circumstances and confidence in using one will varie of course,but i wouldnt not ever have one.Its mainly if god forbid anything ever kicked of at home,but we do depending were we are running them take one with us.
Its more for the scenerio of "owner letting their deaf,no recall yapping dog comes charging up to ours when on lead and say ours just grabbed it,its a quick way to get your sbt to release a hold and hopefully cause no injury to other dog,even though wouldnt be our fault,we have to be prepared,
Every situiton is different i know,but i thank god i had a breakstick 15 years ago when 2male sbts outside my house were killing each other,water,fingers up bum,choking out,everything was tried and nothing was coming near,Once the red mist comes down then a breakstick was a the lifesafer for both dogs that day.
Each to their own but i would never be without one owning bullbreeds.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 22 Nov 2010, 8:12 am

were they called breaksticks yrs ago tracie ? as i,ve never heard the name but can recall people having sticks with them with the staffies and the then pits the gypseys have them too or used to at the horse fairs but i dont think they had a name now but i assume they were used in the same way

how do you use them in the heat of the moment to be effective they do actually sound very handy in some ways for protecting your dogs from da dogs
Back to top Go down
Tracie
Getting Comfy
Getting Comfy

Female
Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 22 Nov 2010, 11:53 am

Angel wrote:
were they called breaksticks yrs ago tracie ? as i,ve never heard the name but can recall people having sticks with them with the staffies and the then pits the gypseys have them too or used to at the horse fairs but i dont think they had a name now but i assume they were used in the same way

how do you use them in the heat of the moment to be effective they do actually sound very handy in some ways for protecting your dogs from da dogs

Hi Hun,
I remember as a wee girl my late grandad having one,but he called it a "parting or something simaler batton.
You can actually practice using one(hopefully will never have to for real)
At the back of the mouth,behind the molar teeth,thats where you put the breakstick.
Its only used if a sbt/apbt etc actually has another dog in the hold,no good when its just snapping or on other breeds that dont hold on like ours.
If its one dog on one and one has the grip on,you should kinda straddle the dog with the grip and try keep firm hold with your knees,once you insert stick you kinda turn it and the grip will be lost.
Like anything if its hell for leather and you have a multiple fight with several dogs it will be harder and better if theres more than one of you,i have mine mainly for my house as you never can say nothing will ever happen,they get on great etc..
I just would rather be prepared then try seperate sbt in the zone and wouldnt ever out my bare hands in the way,it all depends if dog has the grip on the other thats when breaksticks are lifesavers.
Back to top Go down
Angel
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   Mon 22 Nov 2010, 11:59 am

thought they might have been called something else was prob them i have seen then just not really noticed and hence why the dog handler grabbed a broom for the handle same idea

they do actually sound useful in that case not sure i,d use one mind unless i was happy i was capable of doing so properly but i can see now that they would help greatly in that instance
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Breaksticks   

Back to top Go down

Breaksticks
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: