Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

am i doing the right thing??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 930

PostSubject: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 6:41 pm

crash is a trebblie puller, and makes walking a really hard job to the point were i hate taking him and my other half had to do. we have tried a harness, didnt work he looked like he was swimming, we have tryed just a normal collar and lead, he need choked he self, and now im trying a halti and other then a few scratchs to get it off and getting up set about it being uncorfy when he pulls it seems to be ok.

i just wundered is the ok to use on staffies i mean all i want to do it make walking a enjoyable and keep my arm in its socket

does anyone else use them
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 6:59 pm

We use something similiar to a halti called a canni collar - our girls pull hard too and I use the collars when I walk them together or they would pull me over.

Not everyone likes Haltis but so long as it is not cutting into him and it is helping you control him and he's walking well with it when you are out, then you are doing the right thing. They do fight them to start with but gradually get used to them with time.

There's also another one called a gentle leader which I have heard good things about but never actually used.

We do keep trying with training but to be honest we've not done as well as we wanted to ours are really stubborn dogs lol!
Back to top Go down
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:06 pm

it doesnt cut in to him to rides up his face if he pulls (sounds worse then it is honestly its no more the making him a little uncomfy )
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:07 pm

You will find the right collar or harness that suits Crash.

A tip for walking and pulling.

Walk and as soon as he starts to pull, turn and walk in the opposite direction, if he pulls, turn again and walk in the opposite direction and so on. You could find that you are just going up and down for a while in a straight line, but this has been proven to work many times and although you look like an idiot it is worth giving it a go.

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:08 pm

the canny collars ride up sometimes too spinner smile

and one of our clever little madams can get hers off if she tries hard enough lol!
Back to top Go down
Hurdy_Gurdy
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:10 pm

We used a Canny collar too on Crowley when he was about a year old as I couldn't even walk him as he was so strong. It did work pretty well, I think you need to have some training in place aswell though. I used to have him clipped on his collar then whenever he pulled I put the canny collar on, then took it off after a while and so on. It's a bit annoying at first as you're stopping and starting and miss out on walking time but it didn't take him long to realise what he was supposd to do.
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:12 pm

wids wrote:
the canny collars ride up sometimes too spinner smile

and one of our clever little madams can get hers off if she tries hard enough lol!

Yep Kai knows exactly how to get his off he just lowers his head and paws it you need to watch him lol

Keeley your doing the right thing by trying to improve his walking!
If your not keen on the halti you can always put it on ebay and try the canny collar or gentle leader
Back to top Go down
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:12 pm

the only sad thing is it looks like a muzzle so people are crossing over the road thinking hes nasty

Back to top Go down
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 7:16 pm

Hurdy_Gurdy wrote:
We used a Canny collar too on Crowley when he was about a year old as I couldn't even walk him as he was so strong. It did work pretty well, I think you need to have some training in place aswell though. I used to have him clipped on his collar then whenever he pulled I put the canny collar on, then took it off after a while and so on. It's a bit annoying at first as you're stopping and starting and miss out on walking time but it didn't take him long to realise what he was supposd to do.

thats wot im doing with crash one on the halti one on his collar to start

it seems to be working so i think im gunna stick with it for now and see how it goes

as for training class fingures crossed we will be going next year, he can do sit paw other paw stay he doesnt snatch food from your hand(treats) and he sits in his bed when we fed him and doesnt go to he food till we tell him

so he can do but its just abut inconstiant so im hoping that it will help with that
Back to top Go down
Maistaff
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1075

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 10:17 pm

I am training my pups at present not to pull as previously i just wanted them to enjoy walking on the lead rather than train them and now they walk fine i want them to walk nice.

I take them out one at a time with a tube of Primula and treats as well as my clicker. I only have a collar and lead, no gadgets!!!.

I start by first getting them intrested in the treats and then we set off on our walk. I use the word heal and when the girls are walking on a loose lead i will click and reward. Its a long process but it works. I also break up the walk by constantly asking my girls to do sit, down etc etc and basically use the walk as a training session so they are always focussd on me.

I would try going back to basics first and foremost most before introducing gadgets. As much as they are great sometimes if possible its better to retrain

Best of luck
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sat 20 Nov 2010, 10:22 pm

can i come walks with u julie ill walk nice for primula lololol

we had a gentle leader but lost it then we bought a halti type thing but it scrunched up buffys nose and she did get out of it we have bought her something else now fitted by the vet although off the top of my head i cant think what its caleld will have a look at my old posts and find out

i have met a few who take smelly tit bits in pocked and get the dog walking close that way though
with pip we used dried liver and worked brilliant
Back to top Go down
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sun 21 Nov 2010, 12:57 am

ive tried it all but nothings works bar this so ill just see how it goes lol
Back to top Go down
StaffySel
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6585

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sun 21 Nov 2010, 2:15 pm

Maistaff wrote:
I am training my pups at present not to pull as previously i just wanted them to enjoy walking on the lead rather than train them and now they walk fine i want them to walk nice.

I take them out one at a time with a tube of Primula and treats as well as my clicker. I only have a collar and lead, no gadgets!!!.

I start by first getting them intrested in the treats and then we set off on our walk. I use the word heal and when the girls are walking on a loose lead i will click and reward. Its a long process but it works. I also break up the walk by constantly asking my girls to do sit, down etc etc and basically use the walk as a training session so they are always focussd on me.

I would try going back to basics first and foremost most before introducing gadgets. As much as they are great sometimes if possible its better to retrain

Best of luck

agreed

Enzo used to pull so I went back to basics, no gadgets and he no longer pulls. But literally every walk I take him on is a training lesson.
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sun 21 Nov 2010, 2:19 pm

Daisy uses a Halti collar in her training classes its great and she really doesn't pull at all, so I would highly reccommend one.
Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Sun 21 Nov 2010, 5:04 pm

Me too with Elsdon, every walk is a training session and I usually have some tit bits in my pocket, however I am human and ancient and occasionally forget the titbits and do the heel command and then if he doesn't listen (which he is prone to do - he's male) I turn and walk the other way. Sometimes I feel as though I've done 10 miles on the same stretch of street but I will continue until the idea sinks into his brain, which at this rate may be some time.......... spinner smile
Back to top Go down
keeley+pup
Gold Forum Member
Gold Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

hi everyone just an update

crash is now walking like a true show dog lol he doesnt often leave my side and with the halti on and gets a bit naughty with out but nothing really huge you no wot i mean lol

i will be putting up some pics of him in the snow soon

love you all
Keeley and Crash :Dancing 2:
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 12:22 pm

Thats brilliant news Keeley well done. Looking forward to seeing some pics of Crash, we have missed you both x

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   Wed 15 Dec 2010, 12:23 pm

Excellent progress, hurry up with the pictures spinner smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: am i doing the right thing??   

Back to top Go down

am i doing the right thing??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1