Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joanna

Female
Number of posts : 4

PostSubject: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 1:58 pm

Hello, I have a gorgeous brindle boy, one year old, neutered a couple of weeks ago, who thinks chewing is the most wonderful thing in the world, and cannot understand why Mummy does not agree!! When he outgrew his first crate, I got him a bigger one, not really thinking about how strong he is and various other facts about Staffies, as this is my first one, so I got him just a standard, metal crate with plastic floor. Within a week, the plastic tray was in pieces and the metal was bent. He wasn't able to bend it enough to get out (he would have done if I hadn't bent it back every day), but he is bigger and stronger now and that kind of crate would be a complete waste of money- basically a big, expensive, and inappropriate toy!!

I moved flats in September, and this one has a very small kitchen with a door, which I thought would be a good alternative to the crate. I won't get into all the MANY reasons for my decision at this point but I believe Dennis and I will both be happier if I go back to using the crate. He desserves a place to call his very own, and it's confusing when it's Mummy's turn to use the kitchen!!

So anyway, I've been looking online, but it's difficult. A cage might say heavy-duty, but as we all know, a Staffie needs industrial strength, and this particular breed is not always considered when advertising! Also, I'm willing to pay whatever is necessary for the right crate, but of course I don't want to spend more than necessary.

Because Dennis will need a crate with a metal floor rather than a plastic one that he can eat, I want to be able to put something soft in there, but of course he chews everything. I've heard of beds made of kevlar and ballistic nylon and stuff like that. So I just need some ideas and to know where I can get them.

Also, just because someone might ask this question... There is not a room in the flat I can put him in that he doesn't have anything to chew. Even if the room only had four walls and a door, he would chew the walls and door, and the moulding around the door. So a crate really is the answer for this guy. He was happy with it up until September, and I know it will make our lives easier, as there will be less confusion over his space and my space. When the boundaries are clear, the kids are happy!

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31921

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 5:06 pm

Does he constantly try to get out of the crate?

I think the issue may be that the crate is not interesting enough? You could start from scratch making it his special place, feed him in there (then remove the bowls), give him treats in there and some comfy bedding to sleep on. I bought a £5 asda smart price quilt and then a cheap quilt cover - would this survive do you think?

Stuffed large Kings are fab, especially if you stuff it with his favourite treat and then freeze it. We used to do this with Reuben when he was put in his cage and it kept him busy for hours. There are some recipes on here that you can make yourself as the filling you can buy is very expensive.

How much excercise do you give Dennis? He may need tiring out a bit more so he settles when you are out. Noseballs are great for use in conjuction with a long walk. A lot of dogs chew from frustration and boredom, a tired dog is normally a happy dog.

If the above helps you may be able to get away with a standard large cage, I would say as big as you can fit in your home but no smaller than 36".

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 5:20 pm

What I also meant to say was let him get used to the cage before you try locking him in it. Gradually build up his time in it and then try closing the door for a few minutes and build up from there.
If he enjoys going in there you should find he will go in there when he wants to relax and it will become his sanctuary.
With my cage I covered it with a large dark blanket. When he went to bed I covered the cage fully but during the day I just covered the sides, back and top so it was nice and snug. I also invested in a coop cup (for water) to attach to the cage wall so there was no chance of it being spilt in the bed

Back to top Go down
joanna

Female

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 7:12 pm

I don't think it's that he's trying to get out of the crate so much as just 'I'm bored, let me see what I can do, oh look, I can break stuff and bend other stuff, cool!' I do walk him twice a day, but he is just a chewer so I can't trust him to be in the house on his own without somewhere to put him. He's already chewed a giant hole in one side of the cheap kitchen door. He's also chewed the very thick wire that connects one of the heaters to the wall. So theres a safety issue as well. Don't really want to come home to fried doggie!!! He's already used to a crate because he was in one from the day after I got him up until mid-September when I moved into my current flat, so it will be a very brief adjustment period as he 'remembers' what that was like. And I just don't want to take any chances on getting another crate that he can destroy; I want one that I know he can't bend or chew. If he never even tries that's great, but in case he does try, I want to know it'll be alright. ;)

And the bedding you mentioned... no good. He CHEWS. EVERYTHING. I don't care how much I have to spend on bedding for him, if it lasts longer than two minutes it's worth it. :)
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 7:19 pm

Mine was a sturdy one but I bought it off Ebay second hand so I cant help you there. I think it is the black metal ones that are thinner than the steel ones.

Maybe some of the other members can recommend a sturdy one, I have only ever used the one and I no longer have it?

I cannot think of any bedding that would withstand a staffy chewing, thankfully my two have never really chewed much apart from shoes lol

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 7:52 pm

Hi, I bought my small terrier a crate off ebay and was very impressed with the quality. It had a metal floor and a very sturdy frame. I decided to order one for Cody my staffy but the seller had non his size so I bought one from a different person on ebay and the quality, even though it had a metal base, was awful and it bent so easily! It is very hard to tell how strong and tough they are by buying online.

I was wondering if vetbed is hard for staffies to chew? Maybe another member can answer that one. I used to buy it for my rabbits crates and they seemed to have trouble chewing it. Sorry I can't help more but my Cody is quite good and has never chewed any of his beds.
Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:21 pm

I don't think vet bed is suitable for determined chewers - Cool Breeze isn't a serial chewer but she did manage to chew bits off her vetbed. Have you seen http://www.tuffies.co.uk/ I haven't tried their beds myself but they do have 1 which they guarantee is chewproof though a bit pricey.

I remember seeing chewproof beds somewhere that refund/replace if your dog chews through them.. can't remember the prices but will have a look for it!

As for crates, we use the savic crates which we've been very happy with, but they have plastic bottoms. I agree with all Jo has said about going back to basics making his crate a fun den to be in, and peanut butter kongs are brilliant!
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:32 pm

Back to top Go down
joanna

Female

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone! It is good to know that even if a crate has a metal bottom and claims to be heavy duty it might not be, and I will need to look hard and make sure.

Also, thanks for the tuffies link! I'll check that out! I found a site earlier today, k9ballistics or something like that, that sell indestructable stuff, and if the dog chews it and damages it, they will replace it for free... but it looked like it was a US site and didn't say anything about shipping to foreign countries. Anyway, didn't know if it might be the same thing, in which case, maybe they do have a UK site as well? Have to check and see!

I spoke to my dog trainer earlier this evening to see if he is coming this week, what with all the snow, and I asked him if he could suggest a crate and he is going to think about it and get back to me. In the meantime I'm obviously still open to suggestions from you lot here and I'll bounce them off him if I feel I need to! I'm taking him to Devon for Christmas and will need to crate him in the cottage at night and whenever we can't keep an eye on him so he doesn't destroy anything and just want to make sure we get used to the routine before hand as much as possible.

Oh, and thanks for the recipes- I have a kong which he loves when it has stuff inside!! Well, of course, don't they all!! :D
Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   Wed 01 Dec 2010, 8:54 pm

Found the site I was looking for it's a company called Orvis. I'd forgotton how much I like the beds on this website, so thanks for your post lol

I think it's ones with tough chew in their name that have the if your dog chews through this bed.. guarantee on them.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/search_wizard_tnail.aspx?refine=52&refine=50&refine=53&refine=12&sort=1&nav=50367
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??   

Back to top Go down

Heavy-duty crate, and chew-proof bedding??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1