Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Play fighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 11372

PostSubject: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:08 pm

If your dogs play fight how far do you let them go? I think I worry too much because of the problems with the girls fighting in the past and stop them too much. I'm trying to be more confident about it and trying to give them back a little more trust than they have at the moment

I'd be really interested in hearing what other people think is too far and when does play become too rough in your opinion. ta

Any descriptions of noises yours make or things they do in good fun to each would be really helpful too lol!
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:12 pm

I know what you mean about play fighting.

As long as it is upside down and messing about I let it go, screaming and grumbling is fine, but if the tails go up and the ears go back or I hear one shout out I step in quick and also if one starts to take off and hammer around that normally means you will get a clash!

I also stop biting of legs at all times when they are standing up - that is not nice for many reasons.

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:16 pm

Since my 2 had that couple of spats a little while back, I do find I am a bit paranoid when they play fight.

The main thing I watch for is who is being dominant. It's always Daisy when they play fight and Cody spend most of the play on his tummy being very gentle while Daisy makes lots of noise and bites and pulls his face lol!

I watch for the change when Cody's ears go back, he sits upright or even stands and just stares at her. I have to watch very carefully at that point as that's what Cody did when he tried to attack Daisy.
Back to top Go down
Cool Breeze's mummy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1264

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:27 pm

We don't really let our two play fight mainly because Ian couldn't determine gear changes in their play and then Cool Breeze would be waaay to giddy and play wasn't safe, so he didn't want them to do it at all. When we did let them do it the play had to be calm and we allowed 2 giddiness gear changes if that makes sense?

I've got a video of them play fighting in the back of the car that shows their gear changes.. because I think I'm not making sense in my writing lol
Back to top Go down
Rosie01
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 146

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:33 pm

We let ours play fight and we only stop them if they go too far and one of them ends up yelping. Generally they play quite rough but they have found a way to measure it themselves. When we first got Janna they had no idea about what was too far and would actually make each other bleed on the ears and face. We got really strict with them and we don't have to moderate too much any more as they seem to know the boundaries. We are (touch wood) very luck in that Janna mothers Tyler a lot and they have never shown any sign of getting into a real fight.
Back to top Go down
Jo n Buffs
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 19490

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:36 pm

riz lets us know when the play has stopped for a little pup he has a terrible growl and as soon as we hear it the play stops and they go to their beds for time out
buffy on the other hand just plays and plays she doesnt seem to know when to stop
Back to top Go down
Toni
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 5585

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:57 pm

Ours play fight, and havent gone too far yet. It usually is Buddy that starts nibbling Stellas ears lol

I shout them to stop when they get too loud... usually in the middle of Eastenders lol!
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 5:59 pm

My two play fight, Eddi is silent when he plays Daisy sounds like she is having a massive real fight she makes alot of noise, Daisy normally comes in with tracks down her neck where Eddi has caught her.

They never go too far or should I say I don't let them I can see when Daisy is getting too much and stop her. Eddi is so laid back he is almost horizontal Daisy is so hyper.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 6:06 pm

I let mine play and rarely have to intervene as Chloe normally stops play when she has had enough. She regularly starts and ends it.

On the odd occasion when she has told Reuben to stop and he has tried to carry on I step in.

Chloe is always the noisy one and Reuben is normally on his back on the floor

Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 6:24 pm

I used to let Georgie Playfight, and to a certain degree can as long as I have had a chat with the other dog owner. I can tell when georgie's playfight levels ie adrenalin are starting to rise so I jump in. She then knows that playing is going to stop and starts dodging me which is a pain in the ass, but this is one of the things I am trying to sort out

Her playfights can last a couple of mins and thats it, then the adrenalin starts to rise and I have to stop it there and then
Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 8:24 pm

I let them playfight, and they only tend to do it with each other anyway.

They don't take it too far, and one will back off if they get too rough, though like others i will step in if they aren't backing down and the body language changes.

Back to top Go down
jakies13
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 7512

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Thu 02 Dec 2010, 10:09 pm

My two tend to playfight ALOT lol.
They dont get too rough but on occassion one has yelped one way or another so we tend to stop them if they are getting to chompy!
But we have to stop them when they start jumping around as i get a bit worried incase they knock the kids over as the tend to get to 100 mph

Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 12:32 pm

Thanks everyone - I actually feel normally sensible now rather than paranoid. lol!

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female
Number of posts : 11929

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 4:48 pm

I've stopped Ruby and Elsdon from playing in the living room, there's not enough room in there but they can in the kitchen and also at the Club, we take them with us and let them run around as there is usually no-one else in there. The Snooker team came in to practice before they went off for a match.
Hope this works, I'm crap at posting videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnIHgotXAw
lol!
Back to top Go down
wids
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 5:38 pm

Jan not only did that work but it was totally brilliant - exactly what I needed to see.
Amy and Maizie play like that - Amy is usually the beetle with her legs in the air like Elsdon and Maizie is like Ruby wrestling on top.

Are either of your two "dominant" with the other one or are they pretty much well balanced?
Back to top Go down
Sandi
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 15687

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 5:54 pm

Thats brilliant, they look great together.

Back to top Go down
xclairex1
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 6615

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 6:03 pm

Ruby's definetly the boss ,lol.

Kai is the boss in our house but you don't tend to notice when they're carrying on x
Back to top Go down
Eddi and Daisy
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4187

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 6:22 pm

Great video, Daisy is definately the boss and always wins lol.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 6:31 pm

Brilliant vid Jan x

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Fri 03 Dec 2010, 10:20 pm

Thanks - nice for you to see them playing I don't often get chance to let you see them being together.

Liz - thanks I'm glad I helped you. Ruby is usually dominant but so is Elsdon due to size and weight so its 50/50 between brains and brawn. I sometimes need to step in because of his bullishness but not always, Ruby is very well adjusted for her size - she can stand her ground when needed lol!
Back to top Go down
Kareen
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Sat 15 Jan 2011, 9:56 pm

My 3 playfight together all the time. They do get very rough and are very loud and growly. I leave them to it and they always stop themselves when they have had enough. I only stop them when I get fed up with the noise they are making. I have always allowed them to play rough so that I know they will stop themselves if I am not in when they are playing. As you can see from my photos it works for me as all three adore each other.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Sat 15 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

Brilliant vid

Back to top Go down
janandruby44
Team Support
Team Support

Female

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 11:35 am

Loved this video, what are they playing with that it can withstand three sets of staffie teeth lol!
Back to top Go down
babypink
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 1830

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 2:16 pm

thats so funny just goung round and round
Back to top Go down
Kareen
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Female
Number of posts : 181

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   Sun 16 Jan 2011, 5:44 pm

janandruby44 wrote:
Loved this video, what are they playing with that it can withstand three sets of staffie teeth lol!

Think that was an old burst ball that they had, which they did eventually manage to kill. Normally they play with old tyres from mobility scooters which are a perfect size and indestructable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Play fighting   

Back to top Go down

Play fighting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next