Staffiezone

Members: Please Log In

As a guest you will only be able to read the main topics from the forum.

Register to see loads more sections and join in the fun.

We are a friendly bunch of pet lovers mainly consisting of Staffies and Bullies, but all dogs and owners are welcome and many of us have other dogs and pets that we talk about, plus general chit chat, competitions and entertainment.

It is free to register, free to chat and you will not be asked for money to continue being a member once you have joined.

So pull up a chair and join our small community on the internet.

HomeFrontLog inChat BoxRegister

Share | 

Still not right

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female
Number of posts : 4517

PostSubject: Still not right   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 7:33 pm

You might remember a while ago that Cody had a sore paw. He had a blister inbetween his pads and kept licking and chewing the paw. I couldn't tell if he was licking the paw because of the blister or if the blister was caused by the paw licking!

The blister did heal up but Cody is still licking his paw and is now also licking the other one. I need to try and find out why he is still doing this. He really chews and licks both front paws now.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female
Number of posts : 31917

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 7:39 pm

Hi Louise

It could be the grit, this affects a lot of dogs paws. One of the lads dogs at work is actually sick every year from licking the grit off her feet.
When you have walked Cody try bathing his feet with a bit of T tree or TCP in water and then dry them off.
Worth giving this a try and see how he is once the bad weather has passed

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Mon 06 Dec 2010, 7:40 pm

As a matter of interest what flooring do you have down in your new flat?

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 12:55 pm

Hey Jo,

I don't think its the grit simply because there has been none put down here! Seriously, not any of the places we walk have been gritted! Also he has been doing this since before that bad weather.

With the flooring, every room, apart from the landing and stairs has various different lino tiles. The stairs and landing is carpet.

Some days he is worse than others. Today he has only licked his paws a few times but last night he was doing it for an hour!

It's really odd.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

Are his feet sore at the moment, do they look inflamed or anything or are there any cuts?

Has he been skooting and last thing has he only done it since you moved (I cant recall when it started)

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 2:03 pm

Right, just had a good check of his feet, pads, claws, inbetween toes etc and there is nothing sore or cut. They look fine apart from being discoloured between the toes from the licking.

As I have just sat down to type he is now chewing his paw like mad! He has his whole foot in his mouth so clearly me looking at it has for some reason made him start chewing/licking it.

He is not scooting at all.

Yes, this has only started since we moved here umm
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:31 pm

I wonder if it is something environmental that he could be allergic to? Have you changed anything like floor cleaner, bedding, washing powder etc?
Could be habit from licking it when he was sore?
Do you have any Surolan?

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 8:46 pm

I hope it's not the cats!!!

Not using anything different than we used at the old house. Well not that I can think of.

What's Surolan?
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:04 pm

Surolan is typically prescribed by the vets for ear problems but can also be used elsewhere for skin problems

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:06 pm

Ah, I see. No, not got any.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:15 pm

When did you put him on Burns and how long after you put him on it did he start to chew

Sorry for all the questions hun, I am just trying to run through things I have done with Reuben

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:18 pm

No, that's fine, keep asking. I really didn't want to admit it but I think it has started since he has been on the Burns but as it's a good food I didn't think he would have issues with it.

He is having awful wind since being on the chicken Burns (think I wrote a post about it) so I was thinking of putting him back on the fish flavour but I'm sure he was still paw licking while on that too.

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:24 pm

If it is food related then it is difficult to pin down, I spent months making a diary only to find Reubens was nothing to do with food.

You need to make a note of what is in the food and then eliminate one by one, this is how I ended up on Fish4dogs as I eliminated practically everything.
Alternatively you could try stopping all contact with the cats and not allowing him to go where the cats have been. You would have to do this for at least 2-3 weeks I would suggest.

The alternative before you start any of this is a trip to the vets to get him checked over, however before they progress anything they will more than likely get you to eliminate the food.

You could have a look at what is in Harringtons and compare this against the Burns, he was OK on Harringtons wasn't he?

Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:29 pm

Just another thought you could start him on half a piriton twice per day (must be piriton) and see if this helps. If it does then you know he has an allergy of some description but you would still need to find out what it is.

My vet tried antihistamines as part of the process to see how he reacted on them. Could be worth a try, again keep a record so if you do have to go to the vets then you dont have to go through all of this again

Back to top Go down
CodyBoo
VIP Forum Member
VIP Forum Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:37 pm

Ok, lots to take in there. Right, will have a think and decided what way to tackle this.

I may pop him back onto the Harringtons, I had forgotten about that and yes he was always fine on it but he got fussy so I switched it. I don't care now, if he's fussy he goes without, simple!

I don't think he has even gone near his paws since earlier today so maybe it is just habbit.

Who knows, but I am going to have to sort this so thanks for all that advice. I will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Staffylover
Team Member
Team Member

Female

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   Tue 07 Dec 2010, 9:47 pm

If it is habit you could consider putting him in a bucket to stop him getting at the paws?
My vets gave me a bucket for Reuben but to be honest I thought he may get frustrated if they were genuinely irritating him so I chose not to use it

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still not right   

Back to top Go down

Still not right
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Staffiezone :: Dog Chat, Help and Advice :: General or Random Staffie, Bullie and Dog Chat :: Training & Behaviour-
Jump to: